DEET insect repellant on flights

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2019, 9:50 am
Suspended

Just use the wipes.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 9:56 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by HighlandBoy
I few many times with 50% DEET in a pump bottle to West Africa with no problems but on trying to do the same from Egypt it was confiscated as it had a flammable warning sign on it that the security noticed which I had not even noticed myself.
I'm sure they would have let you carry on a bottle of perfume of a similar size and that is far more flammable - just not marked as such.

Next time, stick something over the flammable warning, like a price label.
HighlandBoy likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 10:36 am

Look for products using Picaridin (also known as and Icaridin or saltidin) at minimum 20% concentration rather than Deet, it is as effective as Deet but does not melt plastics, is less toxic and non-greasy. Plenty of choice on amazon.
Swanhunter, Cyba and nancypants like this.

Last edited by LionRed; Feb 7, 2019 at 10:45 am Reason: added also known as
Old Feb 7, 2019, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the very warm welcomes and advice from you all. It seems that the overall consensus is that its ok to take wipes or 100ml liquid pump-action in hand baggage and its ok to take over 100ml aerosols in the hold suitcase. I guess my query should have said DEET is ok per se but will an aerosol explode/burst and ignite etc as it says on the can 'extremely flammable' - is that maybe why BA lady said NO??
I must admit that I wish I had not bothered to read the rules - as I have packed DEET aerosols in my suitcase in the hold when I went to Costa Rica, Panama and Sri Lanka before and have never been stopped about it ! - first time to Africa I started to read the rules, plus I have not flown with BA for years...
Old Feb 7, 2019, 3:19 pm

Horrible stuff DEET, greasy and there are plenty of bugs that seem to actually like it! Even drenched in it it failed to repel some sort of fly that fancied me!
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Not nice! I must say I have not found any problem with DEET so far and not been bitten ~ probably find out one day that it has horrible effects, although current research suggests otherwise thank goodness.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 4:12 pm

Flammable sticker caught me out in Jakarta with Jungle Formula in hand luggage - like the idea about the price sticker!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.