FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   BA to move into T8 at JFK (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1954894-ba-move-into-t8-jfk.html)

jdsworld Feb 6, 2019 10:08 am

Originally Posted by andymcdonnell (Post 30746195)
One would assume Aer Lingus will also move to the new T8. Given their impending joining of the joint venture and JetBlue expanding T5 it would seem to make sense

I wouldn't say it's that likely - don't forget Aer Lingus flights to the US are pre-cleared in Ireland, so are treated differently for US immigration and customs.

ramzi Feb 6, 2019 10:12 am

Wouldn't be too bad to have a BA First lounge alongside the AA Flagship, plus a Galleries/Terraces/whatever they call them now. Access will be a funny thing, as BA Silver you can already access AA's Flagship First lounges, but not BA First. AA doesn't give access to its Admiral Clubs as easily as BA does to both Admiral Clubs and CW lounges. It really will be interesting to manage all these tiers and lounges.

bmibaby737 Feb 6, 2019 10:18 am

Originally Posted by jdsworld (Post 30746350)
I wouldn't say it's that likely - don't forget Aer Lingus flights to the US are pre-cleared in Ireland, so are treated differently for US immigration and customs.

There’s no gurantee they would move but wouldn’t they just offload into T8 as a domestic flight?

VSLover Feb 6, 2019 10:22 am

Originally Posted by ramzi (Post 30746365)
Wouldn't be too bad to have a BA First lounge alongside the AA Flagship, plus a Galleries/Terraces/whatever they call them now. Access will be a funny thing, as BA Silver you can already access AA's Flagship First lounges, but not BA First. AA doesn't give access to its Admiral Clubs as easily as BA does to both Admiral Clubs and CW lounges. It really will be interesting to manage all these tiers and lounges.

I agree in theory but it would be a bummer to elevate Flagship to the level of CCR for example since the new Flagships are far ahead than their predecessor. That said, they do offer private dining which I could see being for only those who would normally be provided CCR access perhaps.

In all honestly, can they just do one world lounges managed only by QF (LAX) or CX (JFK) like in LAX? Can imagine how fab JFK could turn out to be if someone like CX managed it a la HKG!

ramzi Feb 6, 2019 10:25 am

That would be spectacular, but I can't imagine anyone other than AA and BA managing those lounges. Having a third option for First might just be too much, but maybe QR or CX step in and create a business class lounge.

nrr Feb 6, 2019 10:30 am

Originally Posted by VSLover (Post 30746244)
agreed, but with the new FL in JFK/LAX/MIA where the normal admirals clubs are heavily trafficked i wonder if AA made the call to add PLAT and PLAT PRO to flagship access (intl) to ease the strain on the regular lounges as in these three airports the new FL take up a significantly larger bit of real estate than existed prior to renovations--which of course came at the cost of the admirals clubs square footage.

plus remember for the admirals club there are those who buy memberships or get access via credit cards compounding the capacity concerns.

AC membership alone does not permit access to FL lounges. But as alluded to upthread, only FC (intl./transcom) and CK(?) will be allowed to enter FL, EXPs will be "shafted".

VSLover Feb 6, 2019 10:43 am

Originally Posted by nrr (Post 30746443)
AC membership alone does not permit access to FL lounges. But as alluded to upthread, only FC (intl./transcom) and CK(?) will be allowed to enter FL, EXPs will be "shafted".

correct--my post alluded to the increase in people who can manage access to the admirals club which resulted in the expansion of access to flagship lounges.

as an AA EXP and CK (off and on) for 10 years prior to my move to LON--the access was not like this until recently was my point. the confluence of new flagship lounges and increased footprint of same lounges along with the added tier between plat and explat likely resulted in shifting of access was my point.

stampcollector Feb 6, 2019 10:45 am

Originally Posted by etiene (Post 30746039)
Are there existing plans for what an expansion of T8 might look like...? A third "toast rack" in the vein of LHR T5? Widening the existing racks [which are a bit lopsided]?

Maybe they’ll rebuild a PanAm style worldport...

FlyerTalker39574 Feb 6, 2019 11:03 am

Are there any clues if there’ll be A380 compatible gates at T8?

stampcollector Feb 6, 2019 11:10 am

Originally Posted by richardwft (Post 30746589)

True it’s a high volume route, but would the new 350-1000s be used instead? Although maybe a use for all those cancelled EK planes...

TedToToe Feb 6, 2019 11:10 am

The Alan Davies question!! Remember, it’s all about frequency. Although, personally, I would never say never!

ramzi Feb 6, 2019 11:13 am

Originally Posted by stampcollector (Post 30746619)

True it’s a high volume route, but would the new 350-1000s be used instead? Although maybe a use for all those cancelled EK planes...

I would think the 78J or 77W are more likely, but who knows.

Paren Feb 6, 2019 11:24 am

Is it true that BA own T7 (I.e. not just operate out of it but own the building) or not?

I was just thinking about this. T7 obviously does not have compatible gates for A380. It'll be interesting to see if BA make it an A380 route because of course the LHR-JFK route has traditionally been more about offering more flight choices (especially for business travellers) over capacity.

Ancient Observer Feb 6, 2019 11:32 am

I have often wondered why PR was not called TP. Turd polishing. ..."an exciting, world class experience."
It's a great big shed designed to fleece the poor traveller. Everything else is spin.

FlyerTalker39574 Feb 6, 2019 11:36 am

It’d be a shocker if AA bought A380s for JFK and MIA