Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Shed Seven seven seven ... [vital-ish bits broken]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Shed Seven seven seven ... [vital-ish bits broken]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2019, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Apparently it was something ‘deep in the avionics’ that couldn’t be fixed with a Ctrl Alt Del. What’s the position on this ref flight safety : I’m presuming the flight can still operate at the discretion of the captain ?
That something is a ZMU (Zone Management Unit), they are downstairs in the equipment bay under the floor behind the flight deck (you walk over the hatch as you come in 1L). They can often be reset with a circuit breaker but with regards to your point about flight safety, we wouldn’t ask crew to go down there unless it was for something absolutely safety critical. The comfort of passengers unfortunately isn’t worth the risk.

This is a very common occurrence on the 777, especially the -200’s. Many times I’ve been called out to it at LHR.

Originally Posted by Tafflyer

Lol. The wonders of duct tape. As seasoned engineers say, if duct tape doesn’t work, it’s only because you didn’t use enough.
Actually in aviation we much prefer speed tape. It’s a metallic tape you can use on the exterior but also does a great job on seats, overhead lockers, parts of toilets and carpets etc...

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I know what I'd have done. I'd have asked a cabin crew member to have a look while on the ground, if required refer it to the higher up, and if nothing was done, I'd not delay the flight for this, and once in cruise I'd have asked if I could participate in fixing it, since I like fixing things.
​​​​​​​
Whilst I appreciate you said you’d ask first, I’d caution against anyone reading this fixing things themselves including cabin crew. This should be left to a licensed aircraft engineer otherwise we’re opening a whole Pandora’s box of problems!
Old Feb 5, 2019, 8:30 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
I think the gist of this article is that the state of some of BA's planes is a joke. It's not the age of the planes either necessarily, just lack of respect. I've been on a 25+ year old A321 from Lufty and it looked brand new!
Old Feb 6, 2019, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by alextheengineer
Whilst I appreciate you said you’d ask first, I’d caution against anyone reading this fixing things themselves including cabin crew.
I've never fixed any cabin crew in my life. Promise.
HIDDY likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.