Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Shed Seven seven seven ... [vital-ish bits broken]

Old Feb 3, 19, 1:40 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy
Original Poster

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...

Apologies for the obscure 90’s music reference, but after a recent trip on one of the LHR 4-class 772s, it seemed appropriate.

Couple of questions for those that know.

1) Cabin lights in CE and WT+ where stuck on ‘full’ all night, including for takeoff and landing in darkness.
2) Seat belt signs were stuck ‘off’ through take off, landing and turbulence.

Apparently it was something ‘deep in the avionics’ that couldn’t be fixed with a Ctrl Alt Del. What’s the position on this ref flight safety : I’m presuming the flight can still operate at the discretion of the captain ?

(Incidentally, its at this point you discover that the eyeshades in the WT+ kit are rubbish as they still let some light through)

Compo forms were handed out and returned, what’s the going rate ?

And the floor air grillle panel fell out on takeoff. The whole line of grille panels had been loosely placed in position but all the retaining screws were missing. How can this happen ?
Attached Images  
Old Feb 3, 19, 2:01 am

I suspect returning to LHR it might be Captains discretion with some other method of communicating the seat belt status, like a pa or shouting. Departing LHR might be a bit more of an issue. As for the rest, you obviously didn't get the email requiring all passengers to bring their screw drivers to save on maintenance. Cost cutting is in AC's dna.
Old Feb 3, 19, 2:07 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Clearly going for gold on this flight.

The seat belt issue was presumably addressed by PA announcements, but I'm not wholly sure this should have taken to the skies with passengers on board, I'd be concerned what else wasn't working. We don't know the route but if it was es LHR then perhaps they knew they had problems, had the engineers checking stuff urgently but then didn't screw back the grilles

I guess the inconvenience was (a) lights on all the time - was it a day time flight? and (b) more announcements than usual - was it a rocky service? So given the lack of detail here, 5K Avios?
Old Feb 3, 19, 2:10 am

It’s time to burn this disco down

was it on a flight back from Atl? Was also on a 777 where this happened - flights on all night in WT and WT+ - approx 2 weeks ago.
psollitt and our_kid like this.
Old Feb 3, 19, 2:16 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer View Post

1) Cabin lights in CE and WT+ where stuck on ‘full’ all night, including for takeoff and landing in darkness.

Apparently it was something ‘deep in the avionics’ that couldn’t be fixed with a Ctrl Alt Del. What’s the position on this ref flight safety : I’m presuming the flight can still operate at the discretion of the captain ?
And the floor air grillle panel fell out on takeoff. The whole line of grille panels had been loosely placed in position but all the retaining screws were missing. How can this happen ?
I don't have a 777 book to hand but based on other types the seatbelt signs are usually allowed to be inoperative for up to 10 days IF the cabin PA system is fully functional and announcements are made every time the sign would go on / off. If it's just one set of signs then as long as the passengers can see the other signs it's usually ok. There may (or may not) be an additional restriction which says you can't depart from a maintenance base like that.

Basically it's a risk juggling exercise, no seatbelt signs increases risk slightly... but to achieve 100% reliability would disproportionately increase costs so, the regulators allow the system to run degraded (a bit) but the exposure of any individual to that increased risk is limited by requiring it to be fixed within a set time period.

As for the cabin side panels no maintenance input is perfect and while taking things apart requires each step to be followed putting stuff back together is really easy to miss things...

By the way was I the only one who hoped thought this thread might be about someone buying a scrap BA 777 and turning it into a garden shed?
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 3, 19, 2:21 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy
Original Poster

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
The seat belt issue was presumably addressed by PA announcements, but I'm not wholly sure this should have taken to the skies with passengers on board, I'd be concerned what else wasn't working. We don't know the route but if it was es LHR then perhaps they knew they had problems, had the engineers checking stuff urgently but then didn't screw back the grilles

I guess the inconvenience was (a) lights on all the time - was it a day time flight? and (b) more announcements than usual - was it a rocky service? So given the lack of detail here, 5K Avios?
Overnight flight in darkness all the way, into Heathrow. With all the lights on, there was a general restlessness in the cabin, and a lot of bleary-eyed passengers disembarking.

One thing I forgot to mention was the some of the PA announcements, including those from the flight deck, were barely audible. Others, including the one from the CSM stating they were trying to fix the lights problem were crystal clear. Maybe the glitch had affected the PA too.

The “we’ll be dimming tha cabin lights” announcement before takeoff was conspicuous by its absence, so they knew before they went.

Last edited by Oxon Flyer; Feb 3, 19 at 2:30 am
Old Feb 3, 19, 3:04 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Overnight flight in darkness all the way, into Heathrow. With all the lights on, there was a general restlessness in the cabin, and a lot of bleary-eyed passengers disembarking.
In which case I go upwards from 5K in WT / WTP and probably rather more in First and Club World, since the premise of a good night's sleep wasn't going to happen. It's not so much whether the eyeshades work or not (and intrepid travellers should always have their top of range shades in their HBO), it would be more the general restlessness from every one else that sleep was curtailed for all.

I would submit via BA.com/delay rather than using the paper forms.
Old Feb 3, 19, 4:46 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Apologies for the obscure 90’s music reference, but after a recent trip on one of the LHR 4-class 772s, it seemed appropriate.

(Incidentally, its at this point you discover that the eyeshades in the WT+ kit are rubbish as they still let some light through)

Compo forms were handed out and returned, what’s the going rate ?

Compared to forgetting to replace the engine cowlings, this is such a trivial item.

Seriously though, why would any airline genuinely concerned with safety ever take an aircraft in this condition off the ground? That the panels are loose can have all sorts of more sinister meanings apart from just the engineers forgot the screws.
USA_flyer, mrow and nancypants like this.
Old Feb 3, 19, 5:16 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Tafflyer View Post
Seriously though, why would any airline genuinely concerned with safety ever take an aircraft in this condition off the ground? That the panels are loose can have all sorts of more sinister meanings apart from just the engineers forgot the screws.
An old colleague of mine sent me a photo of KLM aircraft with a panel hanging down over his head. They refused to do anything about it until he mentioned that he had bags in the hold and he was going to offload himself if they didn't do anything, because he was genuinely worried about suffering injury from a falling panel above his head. It was really hanging off.

They got an engineer out with high speed tape for makeshift repair.
Tafflyer likes this.
Old Feb 3, 19, 5:30 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
We had the lights stuck on all the way to PVG the other day - the CSM was clearly on the ball as we each automatically got 8000 Avios into our BAEC accounts a few days later.

The inconvenience was mitigated by QR J eyemasks so I think we came out ahead !
Old Feb 3, 19, 5:38 am

Programs: KLM Flying Blue Platinum for Life.. BA Gold , oh and some other shiny bits of plastic ...
If you want a good flight experience on BA, you are unfortunately ' chasing rainbows ' .. things are not ' getting better' ... ( ok I will grab my coat ! )
our_kid and MiraculousM like this.

Last edited by psollitt; Feb 3, 19 at 2:38 pm Reason: my spelling wasnt ' getting better ' ...
Old Feb 3, 19, 5:45 am

As a AA flyer, what would service recovery generally consist of? A blanket apology email (which I what I expect)? I don’t have an EC account.
Old Feb 3, 19, 5:50 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia View Post
An old colleague of mine sent me a photo of KLM aircraft with a panel hanging down over his head. They refused to do anything about it until he mentioned that he had bags in the hold and he was going to offload himself if they didn't do anything, because he was genuinely worried about suffering injury from a falling panel above his head. It was really hanging off.

They got an engineer out with high speed tape for makeshift repair.
Lol. The wonders of duct tape. As seasoned engineers say, if duct tape doesn’t work, it’s only because you didn’t use enough.
Old Feb 3, 19, 5:54 am

Originally Posted by footballfanatic View Post
As a AA flyer, what would service recovery generally consist of? A blanket apology email (which I what I expect)? I don’t have an EC account.
I would advise you to open one and then use it to lodge your complaint. Compnsation in Avios is invariably far more generous than the cash offered. Same the other way around with AA, incidently. I got 5000 miles from AA for the armrest on my domestic F flight not working. My BA number was in the booking but I gave the FA my AA number specifically for that purpose. The miles were on the account by the time we landed.
Old Feb 3, 19, 6:03 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH FTL (Silver), BA Blue
Originally Posted by Tafflyer View Post

Compared to forgetting to replace the engine cowlings, this is such a trivial item.

Don't forget, there is a Minimum Equipment Checklist, so if something isn't working but isn't on the list, then they can legally take off and fix it later. Remember a lot of those 777's are getting proper old now, even more so the ones who haven't been refurbished! Was the main reason I am flying AC instead of BA, they put those awful 777's on that route to YYZ!

Joking aside, if a panel is loose before take off and you notice it and it looks dangerous, tell a member of cabin crew immediately and demand they fix it before take off.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: