Search

'accidental' triggering of Amex 241...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2019, 6:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Gold
'accidental' triggering of Amex 241...

Hi all,

I think I probably know the answer to this but wanted to ask. Due to a lack of attention on my BA AMEX account and overuse of the card (!) I have triggered the 241 earlier in the year than I had planned (to try and extend validity as much as possible to maximise chance of being able to use it within the 2 years.)

Is there anything I can do about this now - get refund of AMEX transactions that took it over the limit or is it once triggered that's it? I already have the 'congratulations' email from BA.

Thanks!
x
Old Feb 2, 2019, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
No nothing you can do once it has been triggered.
muggle likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 9:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold
We had the same issue a few years ago and it was particularly galling as it was a BA cancellation that didn't come through quickly enough that made it happen but after much toing and froing there was "Nothing that anybody could do".

We ended up getting the premium version of the card and sticking load of company expenses through it. Then we read the small print and realised that you can only use them for flights originating in the UK so it was no use to us (it actually would have been possible to use it but I hadn't discovered FT back then!).
offtothehills and muggle like this.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Take solace in the fact that overspending compared to plan just makes you worry about less time to use a 2-4-1 rather than the ‘banker’s call’ dreaded by so many!
muggle likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 11:02 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all! I blame Christmas! X
orbitmic likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 11:44 pm

I had a hotel overcharge me prior to checking in. I had them process a refund but it was too late and I had been issued my voucher, which now expires before I was intending to use it. Both BA and AMEX said that nothing could be done. The hotel are dragging their heels over taking any sort of responsibility for the problem/consequential loss.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 12:16 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by muggle
Thanks all! I blame Christmas! X
I had success getting a 6 month extension on my 241.

However it was close to expiring
Old Feb 3, 2019, 12:44 am

Programs: BA Silver, Amex Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador
When BA charged the wrong Amex card for flights that inadvertently triggered my 241, Amex agreed to un-trigger the voucher once I got the offending transactions refunded.

It can be done.

This was about two years ago.

It's worth arranging for transactiona to be refunded and charged to another card and calling up Amex.
muggle likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 6:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MrGatch
When BA charged the wrong Amex card for flights that inadvertently triggered my 241, Amex agreed to un-trigger the voucher once I got the offending transactions refunded.

It can be done.

It's worth arranging for transactiona to be refunded and charged to another card and calling up Amex.

thanks for that.

I had successfully extended one for 6 months that just expired due to medical reasons. Gutted I didn’t have time to even use that for a euro night away let alone anything fancy x
Old Feb 3, 2019, 7:10 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by sarahhj
I had a hotel overcharge me prior to checking in. I had them process a refund but it was too late and I had been issued my voucher, which now expires before I was intending to use it. Both BA and AMEX said that nothing could be done. The hotel are dragging their heels over taking any sort of responsibility for the problem/consequential loss.
I would find it hard for any firm to accept any responsibility for this type of "loss". You lost some months, but the firm wasn't aware of that. Did you specifically say to them not to charge you until a certain date? I had the same with John Lewis who processed a transaction for carpets on the date of purchase, not on installation as they said they would. I "lost" some months too, but I just chalked it up to experience and now when I get close to the threshold, switch my spend to another card and only put through the trigger amounts a week before the end of the 1 year period. With the app on your phone to track spend and points, there's now absolutely no excuse for not being able to know where you stand easily.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by MrGatch

It can be done.

It's interesting that it doesn't automatically loose the voucher on refunds. You can imagine there would be some out there looking at loopholes to do so.
travellingjake likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by dddc
It's interesting that it doesn't automatically loose the voucher on refunds.
Thats what I was thinking. Suppose you could buy something for £10k, get the 2-4-1 voucher and then send the expensive item back for a refund!
Old Feb 3, 2019, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by dddc
I would find it hard for any firm to accept any responsibility for this type of "loss". You lost some months, but the firm wasn't aware of that. Did you specifically say to them not to charge you until a certain date? I had the same with John Lewis who processed a transaction for carpets on the date of purchase, not on installation as they said they would. I "lost" some months too, but I just chalked it up to experience and now when I get close to the threshold, switch my spend to another card and only put through the trigger amounts a week before the end of the 1 year period. With the app on your phone to track spend and points, there's now absolutely no excuse for not being able to know where you stand easily.
I had it in writing that they would be charging me a certain amount on a certain day, but they put through 3x that amount instead. I knew exactly where I was at with my spending and have always done exactly what you do - track spend on a daily basis as required and switch to another card.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 1:05 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by travellingjake

Thats what I was thinking. Suppose you could buy something for £10k, get the 2-4-1 voucher and then send the expensive item back for a refund!
shhhh...
sl1ppy and travellingjake like this.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by sarahhj
I had it in writing that they would be charging me a certain amount on a certain day, but they put through 3x that amount instead. I knew exactly where I was at with my spending and have always done exactly what you do - track spend on a daily basis as required and switch to another card.
Ouch! That was bad of them then!! Putting it through twice would have been bad enough, but 3 times!! Wow!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.