Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Update on BA flight simulators at LHR

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2019, 6:41 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
There has been some great Human Factors (and Cultural) research in Aviation over the years. This included BA, CAA, and others.
With all the cutbacks in Aviation, I do hope that the knowledge is not lost.
We would have to learn from our mistakes all over again.
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 8:52 am

Programs: LH FTL, BA Silver, Thameslink Delay Repay
Didn't spot this when you first posted KARFA, but that is awful news.

I only managed to go along once, but it was an experience I will remember forever - not to mention Andy was just about the nicest person ever.

FWIW, LH still run a massive training operation that's open to the public, with an extremely wide range of aircraft (including the A380 and the MD11, both of which would be incredibly fun). Just need to get to FRA or MUC.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 9:52 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
I think a friend of mine (who came to the last sim day at BA) is going to LH sometime later this year.

The idea of flying the Airbuses is interesting. I do hear it's not the budget option, even by sim standards.

The MD-11 is rated "expert" by LH, they mention the high landing speed. I guess you fail the course if you flip it over on landing

Last edited by flatlander; Feb 25, 2019 at 10:59 am
Old Feb 25, 2019, 4:39 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by csutter
Didn't spot this when you first posted KARFA, but that is awful news.

I only managed to go along once, but it was an experience I will remember forever - not to mention Andy was just about the nicest person ever.

FWIW, LH still run a massive training operation that's open to the public, with an extremely wide range of aircraft (including the A380 and the MD11, both of which would be incredibly fun). Just need to get to FRA or MUC.
In the absence of the BA option, this could be a tempting FT excursion
Old Feb 25, 2019, 5:32 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Platinum. Aspiring flyer with both feet on the ground.
Originally Posted by csutter
Just came back from doing exactly this, at LH's FRA training base. Can't recommend it enough. We had a veteran captain do our initial lessons, run the training in the simulator, and talk us through our take-offs/landings afterwards. One of the best things I've done in my life.

If BA's sim outings are ever resurrected, I'd like to throw my name in the hat. I am very sad to have missed them over the past few years, but even sadder to have read the news about Andy.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 5:09 am

Programs: BA Silver
Really sorry to hear this.
I hadn't made it along to the FT sessions, but had been given a voucher by a friend last year for a sim visit. I struggled to find a suitable time to book in, and the voucher has now been cancelled with a full refund to my (incredibly generous) friend.
Disappointed to have missed out, but, at the end of the day that isn't really as important as the (by all accounts ) excellent chap, Andy, losing his job. I hope life works out for him in the very near future.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 4:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Well I did my Human Factors Course today via Turnpoint. We had an Andy show us from Vanguard House around the facility with our trainer, presume same bloke as mentioned upthread. Our trainer was Richard , and his colleague Andy joined us at some points through the day.

Intro into Human Factors related to my work, then 2 hours in the sim, with only 3 of us it was excellent, we looked at overload and stress and how that related to our jobs. Sim was an A320, and we coped with an engine fire. Really interesting to see how clever these things are as I know nothing about it, well, a bit more now!

Ride back on the BA staff bus to T5 and a flight back up to MAN , North fastrack had 3 people in front of me, which was 3 more than MAN had yesterday :-)

I'd love a proper day just in the Sim, but found the course well worth it indeed.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 12:11 am

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, HH Silver, (Other half Diamond), IHG Gold
Used the BA simulators twice and had a wonderful time . Just FYI at Staverton airport near cheltenham there is a really great simulator 737. It is run by a couple of pilots one ex SAA . A really well run outfit with check in desk , smart waiting room , departures board and all very relaxed . We had an amazing time and were quite exhausted after 90 minutes of flying each .
Free parking and a great pub across The road . I can get 40% off if any one wishes to go simair737.com
endoman likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 4:22 am

Programs: Status with BA Exec Club; KrisFlyer; Hilton Honors; IHG One; Marriott Bonvoy
Another former sim pilot who’s sad to hear this news. If anything else can be organised on sims of a same quality as BA’s then I’d be interested again @KARFA
Old Mar 3, 2019, 1:20 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by simonsmith
Used the BA simulators twice and had a wonderful time . Just FYI at Staverton airport near cheltenham there is a really great simulator 737. It is run by a couple of pilots one ex SAA . A really well run outfit with check in desk , smart waiting room , departures board and all very relaxed . We had an amazing time and were quite exhausted after 90 minutes of flying each .
Free parking and a great pub across The road . I can get 40% off if any one wishes to go simair737.com
thanks. I have been to that one and it is pretty good. It’s on our list for alternative sims.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 1:23 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by memesweeper
Another former sim pilot who’s sad to hear this news. If anything else can be organised on sims of a same quality as BA’s then I’d be interested again @KARFA
hi. Should have some more information soon. Basically the instructors are some of those who have taken us at BA over the years and we are checking any sims we wish to use. It will lack the “BA factor” sadly as we won’t be at LHR in the engineering base but that part can’t be helped.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 12:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Sad news.

I am perticularly disappointed as I was going to book for the last one but it was going to be a late booking and so I said I'd catch the next one. A good example of why not to wait with these things. If you do manage to arrange something somewhere else I'm in
Old Mar 4, 2019, 4:16 am

Very sad news - especially in relation to Andy's redundancy. @KARFA, I hope you are able to convey our best wishes and thanks.

I really wanted to go on one of these trips and never made it - unfortunately other commitments got in the way and the dates weren't feasible. Moral of the story is take advantage of the opportunity while it lasts as you never know when it will disappear.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 11:54 am

Sorry to hear the news about Andy's redundancy. Hope he gets sorted for future employment. Thanks to KARFA for organizing the even that I attended over the last two years. Fond memories. All the best to Andy.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 3:43 pm

Programs: Skywards Silver, Miles & Bonus Gold, BD Diamond Blue
Clinical human factors day

I had the great pleasure of meeting Andy at BA Global Learning Academy this weekend. An hour in the 747 sim was amazing, have been grinning ear to ear all weekend! Great training captain who helped me ticked off 1 on the bucket list, performing a go around a few hundred feet from runway 27L at LHR!
The simulator is ultra realistic, right down to the bumps on short finals and the accelerative effect when you push the TOGA button!
if only they still had old Kai Tak loaded on the sim...
Ps Andy is the nicest guy around, even took me up the staff car park on the 9th floor to have unobscured views of the airport!
KARFA likes this.

Last edited by vieri_c; Mar 24, 2019 at 3:55 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.