Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Excuse my anxiety - dreamliner

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2019, 1:41 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by muscat

Washington - Democrats. South Carolina - Republicans.
You know which group you can trust.
And pray tell which one is that

Someone always has to add politics to an otherwise fun board, give it a rest

Last edited by edgewood49; Jan 26, 2019 at 7:35 am Reason: add comment
Old Jan 25, 2019, 2:00 pm
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by 1010101
It's not like the 787 is the first time they have ever used composites. They've 40 odd years experience with the 767 and 777.
Chalk and cheese comparison though. 767 and 777 did not use composites structurally. The fuselage is a structural component (and obviously load-bearing because it is pressurized) - the 787 has used composites in a structural capacity for the first time. So it is new
Old Jan 25, 2019, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by edgewood49
And pray tell which one is that
I think the inference is that if half the population trust one group and half trust the other, it’s safe enough to trust both.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 3:11 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
No need to worry about a Dreamliner!
Old Jan 25, 2019, 3:31 pm

Programs: BAEC, Etihad Guest, Platinum Tesco Tart
I’m a nervous flyer so can totally understand where the OP is coming from. I’ve got to do a couple of intra China flights in a couple of months and am absolutely in a dither about who to book with.
Yes, I know that my nerves are totally irrational but it doesn’t mean that I can just ‘grow a pair’ and all will be well.
The really odd thing with me is that I used to love flying, I worked at an airfield, studied for my PPL, flew solo and then suddenly when it got to solo cross country stage I lost it and gave up the PPL. I’ve got progressively worse over the years.
I really don’t like turbulence but have found that (when travelling LH) the effect is far lower when in bed position rather than sitting. At the first sign of a few bumps I’ll get my seat into bed mode, strap in and hope for the best!
Snakes, no problem! Spiders, eek. Heights, no thank you!!
Old Jan 25, 2019, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by SaraJH
I’m a nervous flyer so can totally understand where the OP is coming from. I’ve got to do a couple of intra China flights in a couple of months and am absolutely in a dither about who to book with.
Yes, I know that my nerves are totally irrational but it doesn’t mean that I can just ‘grow a pair’ and all will be well.
The really odd thing with me is that I used to love flying, I worked at an airfield, studied for my PPL, flew solo and then suddenly when it got to solo cross country stage I lost it and gave up the PPL. I’ve got progressively worse over the years.
I really don’t like turbulence but have found that (when travelling LH) the effect is far lower when in bed position rather than sitting. At the first sign of a few bumps I’ll get my seat into bed mode, strap in and hope for the best!
So interesting you have flown solo but are scared of flying! Did you once have a passion for aircraft/flying? Can you think of any particular moment that changed it?
Old Jan 25, 2019, 4:01 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
. I’ve got to do a couple of intra China flights in a couple of months and am absolutely in a dither about who to book with.
China has excellent high speed rail, maybe see if it goes where you need to go.
SaraJH likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 4:15 pm

Why is this in the BA Executive Club forum? Are they the only ones flying 787's?
Old Jan 25, 2019, 5:21 pm

I get that it's irrational so facts probably won't help. But the pilots and crew totally intend to arrive safely and won't take unnessary risks. Former nervous flyer here.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 7:36 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by Ldnn1

I think the inference is that if half the population trust one group and half trust the other, it’s safe enough to trust both.

And your buying that ? !!!!!!!!
Old Jan 26, 2019, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
My irreverent point of comfort is that the pilot is closest to the point of impact, and thus has self-preservation in mind.
choosethedrew, Sealink and Theirin like this.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by T8191
My irreverent point of comfort is that the pilot is closest to the point of impact, and thus has self-preservation in mind.
Don't think it's irreverent at all, it's a very good point!
Old Jan 26, 2019, 2:19 pm

The 787 is a very quiet airplane, until the fire department shows up.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

An ANA 787 recently had both engines shutdown upon landing. Crew couldn't restart them and they were towed to the gate.

https://www.aerosociety.com/news/ana...gine-shutdown/
Old Jan 27, 2019, 1:08 am

Programs: RFC
Originally Posted by Worcester
You have a feeling? Can I just clarify if you have any evidence on which to base this allegation? Or can you gut look at an aircraft and tell you the quality of the components?
Do you take everything seriously? Have you never had a conversation with friends at a pub? It's not good for your heart, you know.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.