Wiki Posts
Search

Quick UuA with POUG TP question

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2019, 1:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA - Gold
Quick UuA with POUG TP question

There seem a few variations on this question but not this way round (happy to be corrected).

I had a W ticket that I UuA to J. Now being offered a reasonable J to F POUG. Will I only get W TP and Avios?

Perhaps people have have experienced some inconsistencies but I wondered the official stance.

Many thanks.

Last edited by spicysoup; Jan 21, 2019 at 1:58 am Reason: Clarity
Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:10 am

Originally Posted by spicysoup
There seem a few variations on this question but not this way round (happy to be corrected).

I had a W ticket that I UuA to J. Now being offered a reasonable J to F POUG. Will I only get W TP and Avios?

Perhaps people have have experienced some inconsistencies but I wondered the official stance.

Many thanks.
Yes. But there is always a chance the glorious BA IT will get it wrong, but dont hold your breath.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Is your current W ticket purchased with Cash or Avios ?
Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:16 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

For a revenue ticket the official stance, which is on ba.com, is that you only get the TP's for the underlying fare and in your case for World Traveller Plus.

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...ditions-of-use

10. Tier Points and Avios points will be awarded according to the commercial ticket purchased

As I understand it a normal WTP ticket into CW should book into 'U' class. Any PUOG for First should then book/go into 'Z' class, however sometimes things don't always pan out that way.

Occasionally you may get the TP's for CW or even perhaps F but if you land lucky it's best not to advertise it is the sage advice.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:16 am

Sounds like cash as you can't UuA an Avios ticket
Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Is your current W ticket purchased with Cash or Avios ?
Yep, cash.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 3:23 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
So to clarify, you should assume you only get TPs and Avios relevant whatever cash you put into the initial revenue ticket. If you add more cash, be it POUG, fare difference upgrade or AUP, you get more TPs and Avios. This includes revenue tickets where you also reduced the cash component with Avios part pay.

A UuA should leave you with the TPs and Avios of the initial revenue ticket, piling on a POUG (this is a relatively new development) or AUP (not at all new) won't give you the right to any more TPs or Avios. You can't do a fare difference after a UuA, but you can remove a UuA at least 24 hours from departure, get your Avios back, and then do a fare difference (and thus get extra TPs and Avios). This is worth bearing in mind since it may be more efficient to do this instead of a TP run or whatnot if running close to your year end. If you accept a POUG then there is no refund of the POUG so that's a dead end for this line of enquiry.

If you started with a redemption / Avios ticket, no matter what you add on, you get nothing in terms of TPs and Avios, It makes no difference if you AUP or POUG, and fare difference doesn't apply. Adding more cash to reduce the Avios needed makes no difference either. You can't UuA a ticket which started as a redemption, but if availability comes up you can alter an existing booking to go up a cabin or two or three.

All this assuming that BA's creaking IT holds up, of course, which is what it is, so we don't really need data points.
spicysoup likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Thanks all!!
Old Jan 21, 2019, 10:14 am

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL
Originally Posted by hypercrypt
Sounds like cash as you can't UuA an Avios ticket
You can, you just have to ring up to do it. Technically it’s a refund and rebook but they do it all there and then for you, no worrying if the avios redeposit straight away etc. I’m sure the ticket number stays the same too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.