Wiki Posts
Search

Confirmation of Refund

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2019, 5:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold IHG Plat SAA Voyager Alaska Airlines
Confirmation of Refund

Had to cancel no refund tickets due to ill health.

Made insurance claim who required confirmation from BA when the ticket was purchased. date of cancellation and amount of refund if any..

Applied online for the information countless times and receive the same automated response saying flight cancelled and refund made, but not how much, Have shown insurance company what I know to be the credit on my card from BA but am told that this not sufficient.

The Gold Line must be fed up with me phoning by now as they seem to do their best to help but the result is always the same. A standard email confirming cancellation but not the amount. refunded

Suggestions would be appreciated.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 5:43 am

Originally Posted by twoclubs
Had to cancel no refund tickets due to ill health.

Made insurance claim who required confirmation from BA when the ticket was purchased. date of cancellation and amount of refund if any..

Applied online for the information countless times and receive the same automated response saying flight cancelled and refund made, but not how much, Have shown insurance company what I know to be the credit on my card from BA but am told that this not sufficient.

The Gold Line must be fed up with me phoning by now as they seem to do their best to help but the result is always the same. A standard email confirming cancellation but not the amount. refunded

Suggestions would be appreciated.
Not much help but I also failed to get this information from BA for my insurer in a similar situation. I received one cancellation email that covered the avios upgrade (I had UUAed to club) and detailed how many avios were being refunded, but I never got any details of the amount that was being refunded (despite repeated calls and use of the online refund receipt request).
Old Jan 20, 2019, 5:51 am

Programs: BA Silver
Submit a subject access request under DPA. It will no doubt cost you an admin fee, but I imagine you’d get it.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 5:59 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Can you clarify when the cancellation was made and whether it was the automated self serve route? In the latter case you would have seen an amount on screen before your final confirmation of cancellation, if it is a manual calculation you would be asked for your address and not shown the amount cancelled.

The emails that come out in this area are entitled:
BA confirmation of cancellation and refund: Ref.[PNR]

If there was a sum of money or Avios due it would appear under the Ticket Number(s) line in a section marked Cash Refund, along with part hidden details of the credit card used (last 4 digits) for the refund. If there was no refund OR the manual calculation hasn't been completed the section starting Cash Refund would be blank. If the booking was a redemption without a cash component, the section called Cash Refund is replaced with a section marked Avios Point Information instead, but usually there is a cash component with redemptions so there more usually would be a Cash Refund section, then the Avios Point Information section.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by Scots_Al
Submit a subject access request under DPA. It will no doubt cost you an admin fee, but I imagine you’d get it.
Catch up Al - no admin fee for SARs these days.

I’m not sure that’s the simplest way of getting this single piece of info, but then again given OP’s head-banging so far, I suppose it could be.
Scots_Al likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 8:29 am

Programs: F
Just fill in the form at https://www.britishairways.com/travel/webforms/public/en_gb/?eId=120001&wfpId=customer_receipt

I have been through this and it does work.

Goodness knows why no other avenue of contact is successful.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 10:14 am
Original Poster

Thanks for advice

Phoned to cancel flight and no avios involved.

Not sure what the request under DPA means as not familiar with DPS

Have tried the https route but s
Old Jan 20, 2019, 10:16 am
Original Poster

Have tried the htpps route but all that comes up is Technical Error and please contact BA
Old Jan 20, 2019, 11:07 am

Programs: BAEC
The DPA is the data protection act. Basically any company that holds data about you must disclose to you upon request. No charge. They have a month to do it, by law.
​​​​​
email your request to [email protected] [email protected]

Give them enough info to validate who you are (full name, dob, BAEC number, home postcode) and explain what you want. You might need to explain it more like 'I had booked flight X on date X which I subsequently cancelled. I need a copy of the financial transaction details that shows both the intial purchase and cancellation/refund.'

Good luck.
windscar likes this.

Last edited by plunet; Jan 20, 2019 at 11:49 am
Old Jan 20, 2019, 11:11 am
Original Poster

Many many thanks will go this route
Old Jan 20, 2019, 11:49 am

I've typo'd the email address, it's [email protected]
Old Jan 20, 2019, 12:17 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
I wouldn’t the team are inundated with subject access requests at the moment following the data theft and it’s taking 3-4 months. Whilst the law allows 30 days for such requests the Information Commissioners Office are aware of this.

Id tweet BA and I reckon you will get the information within a day or two if not sooner.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:02 am

If SAR (subject access requests) under the DPA are still being delayed, then the ICO should be getting a big stick out and starting to hit some of the BA Management with it. Or do we have another toothless regulator? Whilst I can appreciate that to navigate BA systems to handle SARs needs training, the DPO team could have easily been backfilled by now with addiitonal resources and trained sufficiently.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 8:56 am

Programs: LH *G (SEN), VS Silver, BA Silver, Goldpointplus Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor silver, *ACP
Just as a data point, I was in essentially the same situation with EasyJet - unable to travel this weekend due to injury, and claiming on my travel insurance. I phoned EZ and received the required "insurance letter" by email and taxes refund to CC, both within 4 hours. No ifs, no buts, no data request faff - just a simple, polite, efficient handling of a routine issue by EZ. Just saying...

YMMV.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 9:27 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
An accounting of funds paid for and out on an e-ticket ought to be something which does not require human intervention. BA, after all has and tracks this data for all manner of business reasons. Thus, reformatting that into a letter which specifically states the amounts paid and in what form and then any refunds made, is basic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.