Wiki Posts
Search

787 issues all fixed?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2019, 7:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
787 issues all fixed?

I haven’t really kept up with this. Have all of the BA 787 engine issues been resolved? We don’t have a trip on one until W19 so guessing all will be ok.

Thanks.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 8:06 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
There are still numerous engineless 787s at Heathrow so I don't think so.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 8:26 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, then a handful of points on everything else.
Originally Posted by SF1K
I haven’t really kept up with this. Have all of the BA 787 engine issues been resolved? We don’t have a trip on one until W19 so guessing all will be ok.

Thanks.
Not according to BA.

Like other airlines around the world, we continue to carry out detailed precautionary inspections on Rolls-Royce Trent 1000 engines on some of our Boeing 787-9 aircraft to ensure we meet all the relevant regulatory safety requirements.

To facilitate the additional engine inspections and any associated maintenance we have had to make some minor adjustments to our long haul flight schedules this summer.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 8:53 am

Programs: BA Gold
There are still a number of aircraft at Heathrow (both BA and Virgin) and of course plenty more elsewhere around the world without engines. The final fix was released by Rolls Royce just before Christmas however requires the engine to be off wing to embody it, so it'll be a while yet until things are completely normal.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 11:09 am

G-ZBJE is still sans engines, close to celebrating one year without them. And, of course, there's a strict(er) regime of checks on the fleet.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 1:49 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
What happens to the rest of the aircraft if it has no engines? Are the other systems powered on occasionally with ground power to keep them in working order?

A year out of service... that must be an eye-watering operational (replacement) cost.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by 13900
G-ZBJE is still sans engines, close to celebrating one year without them. And, of course, there's a strict(er) regime of checks on the fleet.
Where are G-ZBJA and G-ZBJL?
Old Jan 19, 2019, 3:37 am

Originally Posted by Crubber
Where are G-ZBJA and G-ZBJL?
BJA is in hangar for some repairs on a heat exchanger. I don't think we've got a ZBJL in fleet. All the other 787s in fleet are flying (B/C/D/F/G/H/J/K/M).
Old Jan 19, 2019, 5:15 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by 13900
I don't think we've got a ZBJL in fleet.
Correct
Old Jan 19, 2019, 1:13 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
BA123 to Doha seems to have resumed so, presumably, things are starting to get back to normal.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 2:20 pm

Programs: AA, BA, NH, TP
Does anyone know why G-ZBJE has not flown since March18?
Old Jan 28, 2019, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Geo772
There are still a number of aircraft at Heathrow (both BA and Virgin) and of course plenty more elsewhere around the world without engines.
Engineless 787s is currently quite an interesting phenomenon to observe, wherever one flies.
Originally Posted by fatmac70
I suspect that it's cheaper to put an aircraft into deep storage, compared to having all the aircraft constantly rotating in and out of service.

Idly flicking through some JNB availability displays, I happened to notice that there are a couple of mid-February 788 rotations that look like they may get cancelled. A fairly unremarkable number of seat pre-allocations is shown, but availability has been completely zeroed. A prospective cancellation is not the only plausible alternative, of course, but it seems like a possible explanation.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by TedToToe
BA123 to Doha seems to have resumed so, presumably, things are starting to get back to normal.
I think they're suspended again. A colleague of mine with particularly odd taste was going on holiday in Qatar on staff and the flight he intended to book has been canned. I think he was planning late Feb.

Originally Posted by fatmac70
She keeps on being without engines. I believe she was due earlier but 'hers' were taken by a 789.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 6:23 am

Programs: BA Blue, Marriott Plat Life, UA Silver (thx Marriott), IHG Gold, Accor Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by flatlander
A year out of service... that must be an eye-watering operational (replacement) cost.
That's why RR have put £1.5bn aside to fund it...
Old Jan 29, 2019, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Idly flicking through some JNB availability displays, I happened to notice that there are a couple of mid-February 788 rotations that look like they may get cancelled. A fairly unremarkable number of seat pre-allocations is shown, but availability has been completely zeroed. A prospective cancellation is not the only plausible alternative, of course, but it seems like a possible explanation.
And these have now gone. They're the rotations departing LHR on 19 and 20 February, if anyone is wondering what's happened to them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.