Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Trying to price LHR-MIA-KIN-MIA-LON with last leg in First

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2019, 7:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold

I'm trying to price/book a trip to Kingston, Jamaica with a stopover in Miami on the way back.

A RT to MIA on the same dates/flights in First is £2700 and a RT to KIN from MIA on the flights I want, on AA in Business is £600. If I buy them seperately.

Trying to price it all as one booking (I am only connecting in MIA on the way to KIN so don't want seperate tickets in case something goes wrong) the prices is £9600 !!

I've used ITA matrix/ aa.com/expedia.... All result in the same. If I try to price it on BA.com as LON-KIN, KIN-MIA, MIA-LHR it sends me KIN-LON-MIA for the KIN-MIA leg.

Any trick to getting it priced/booked for a reasonable fare relative to the separate tickets?
Old Jan 17, 2019, 7:26 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I think the problem with multi-city search is that it will look for First class for the KIN-MIA leg, which will route you via LHR. You can try on ITA matrix, searching for business & higher class and manually force the MIA legs to look for A class (f bc=A). My quick search shows that LHR-MIA-KIN prices out to be £3.7k in First, but stopovers cost an extra £300.

The J class fare seems more reasonable, LHR-MIA-KIN, KIN-MIA//MIA-LHR works out to be about £2k
Old Jan 17, 2019, 7:27 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
Possibly a "married segments" issue, in that the through fare does not allow the combination of available fare buckets e.g. it might not let you combine A on the longhaul with I on the MIA-KIN legs . Or a limit in the through fare on the number of transfers (which seems improbable)

Far and away the best bet for this would be AA. Using aa.com can be little flaky with itineraries like this, so have you tried calling them and asking them to see if they can identify what the issue is / whether there are any tweaks that can be made to get the fare you are looking for ?

If you want to post the dates, someone may be able to help you.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 7:36 am
Original Poster

Thanks, I'll call AA

If anyone can help though -

LHR-MIA-KIN on March 13 (BA flight in F connecting to AA flight in Business)
KIN-MIA on March 18 (AA flight in Business)
MIA-LHR on March 19 (the 22:55 BA flight in F)

Thanks very much
Old Jan 17, 2019, 7:37 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Gold, Priority Pass
I would recommend using Propeller Travel for doing this. Anything that’s mixed Class I would never try and attempt myself as I’ll end up paying more
Old Jan 17, 2019, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by mrandery
Thanks, I'll call AA

If anyone can help though -

LHR-MIA-KIN on March 13 (BA flight in F connecting to AA flight in Business)
KIN-MIA on March 18 (AA flight in Business)
MIA-LHR on March 19 (the 22:55 BA flight in F)

Thanks very much
When you say "BA flight", you are presumably trying to book it as the AA codeshare ? It won't work properly if you try and book it as a BA flight number.

Actually looking at your flights, I suspect that the issue is the stopover in MIA. Probably the cheaper fare bucket does not allow a stopover, or the system won't price it up properly as a stopover. It may be pricing it as LHR-MIA-KIN then KIN-MIA and then MIA-LHR, s combining 3 different fares. Try it continuing on to LHR within 24 hrs of arrival in MIA and see what is shows.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Frequentflyer99
When you say "BA flight", you are presumably trying to book it as the AA codeshare ? It won't work properly if you try and book it as a BA flight number.
In the post I was just pointing out the actual flight I want to be on. I don't care about what codeshare it's booked under AA or BA.

On AA.com I've tried specifying "All Airlines" and "Only AA" no luck.
On BA.com I can't figure out how to book a stopover in MIA. If I do it as multiple flights it sends me back to London and back to MIA for the KIN-MIA leg
Old Jan 17, 2019, 9:14 am

It is indeed the stopover on the return. Without it, it is :-

First
Total trip (Non-refundable)
£ 3,737 per person
Total £3,736.02 (all passengers)

I imagine that this is closer to what you are looking for. You just can't have your MIA stopover at that price.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 7:00 am
Original Poster

I've tried all sorts of combinations with no luck.
You're right, it's the stopover that's causing the price increase. If I connect to the MIA-LHR flight on the same day as the KIN-MIA flight it's fine, stay a day and the price shoots up.

I've tried a number of date combinations and it's always the same issue.

Looks like I'm not going to stop in MIA!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.