Search

Question over AVIOS reward redemption cost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2019, 6:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA
Question Question over AVIOS reward redemption cost

Hi,

Over the last couple of years I have built up around 70,000 AVIOS points, so I thought I would see what they could get me. I was looking to go to Senegal (2 tickets), and the straight BA Economy price works out at around £1600 for the two returns, and £2450 for Business class.THis is mainly via IBERIA so a route through Madrid, which is fine.

Checking the "Book and upgrade" option on BA's site I'm presented with a whole different scenario. The Total cost is £3800 + 65,000 AVIOS! That not one or the other, that's both.

Am I missing something here?
Old Jan 13, 2019, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Nope. You can only upgrade with Avios from the higher/highest Economy booking classes on Iberia (and AA) flights. So the underlying Y ticket is being pushed up to nearly £1900 pp. Then you need to factor in the higher J taxes (and APD if no stopover). Then the Avios for the privilege of upgrading.

Note that the Iberia MAD-DSS service is with a standard A321 - middle seat free Business class. You may want to consider Y in row 9 if that's available, and you are suitable for the exit row.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 4:30 am
Original Poster

OMG. I have absolutely no idea what I'm going to do with these AVIOS points in that case. I do not think this I would ever book a full priced Economy ticket, either for business or pleasure . Especially at the prices seen above.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 4:38 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
If you want a simple answer (and you'd fly from London) direct shorthaul BA flights will be your best use. The shortest flights are 4500 avios (less offpeak) and £17.50 each way; business is 9000 + £25. Go a bit further (e.g. much of Italy/Spain and its 7,500/15,000); and then southern-/eastern-most Europe is 10k/20k.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 4:43 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by swinster70

OMG. I have absolutely no idea what I'm going to do with these AVIOS points in that case. I do not think this I would ever book a full priced Economy ticket, either for business or pleasure . Especially at the prices seen above.
On BA flights you can upgrade from almost any class (Bar O,Q,G I think) which means that within europe you only need to buy second or third cheapest option to be able to upgrade to business.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 4:55 am
Original Poster

I fly mainly from London for Business and have family near so often stay with them when flying personally (although I'm actually based in Wales, but neither Cardiff nor Bristol tend to have flights I want - and few/any One World airlines).

Thanks for the options. Am i right is saying that if I by a flight just with AVIOS, then I do NOT earn tier points?
Old Jan 14, 2019, 4:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Thanks for the options. Am i right is saying that if I by a flight just with AVIOS, then I do NOT earn tier points?
You are correct - no rewards for booking an Avios seat

I would say the best value for your Avios is to find Club World reward space and then see if you can book the best price World Traveller Plus and use your Avios to upgrade into those seats. Have a look through the excellent guide :

Your guide to spending Avios | 2019 edition
Old Jan 14, 2019, 4:58 am

Programs: BA Silver
Am i right is saying that if I by a flight just with AVIOS, then I do NOT earn tier points?
Correct.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 4:59 am

My view on Avios has been quite positive, based on working to the following:
1. Using BA Amex 2 for 1 vouchers (double the value of Avios)
2. Being flexible with holidays on both location and dates. So far I've done JFK and back in F and have SFO and back in F in a few days, all for less than 500 GBP per person.

I have a couple of friends who have used avios for economy / premium economy flights, but my view is that this is a waste of the points. You still have to pay roughly the same amount of tax on both an economy flight and a flight in first to the USA so it only really makes sense for premium classes.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 5:16 am
Original Poster

I think the 2 for 1 voucher is a good option, unfortunately, I don't have these (I got the wrong BA Amex card, then couldn't change). At these prices for this flight, this doesn't seem sensible to me. I'll keep looking I guess.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 5:22 am

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
I think the 2 for 1 voucher is a good option, unfortunately, I don't have these (I got the wrong BA Amex card, then couldn't change). At these prices for this flight, this doesn't seem sensible to me. I'll keep looking I guess.
You can change to the paid Amex mid year and your spend still counts towards the £10k in order to trigger the magic voucher

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.