Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Frankfurt 15 Jan 2019 - security staff strike - BA customer guidelines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2019, 8:38 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer

There is some discussion in the Lufthansa-etc forum regarding strike action by security staff at FRA proposed for Tuesday 15 January 2019. The airport has now advised people to avoid connecting via Frankfurt. Regulars will know that the layout of FRA means that security checkpoints are big factors in slowing down progress to the gate. Some other airports are also affected Leipzig (LEJ), Dresden (DRS), Erfurt (ERF), Bremen (BRE) and Hannover (HAJ), only the last one has BA services

If you are a BA customer with a 125 ticket, including codeshares, you can now move your flight to alternative dates to avoid 15 January. The dates allowed are 13, 14, 16, 17 and 18 January. They aren't allowing refunds on these services, or re-routes, but will have to do so if the flight is cancelled. My guess is that all flights will be scrubbed on Monday afternoon unless there is some developments, and the Monday + Wednesday night stops may be at risk too. The last set of guidelines n this area asked agents not to rebook to DUS since it was suggested they would go on strike, but this current guidelines doesn't mention this, even for HAJ.
adrianlondon and Oaxaca like this.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 11:26 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, *A Silver, OW Emerald, HH Diamond, Karahi Express
Thanks for the heads up. I’m a regular FRA traveller. This week I’m using BSL in Switzerland.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 11:49 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, Hyatt Prive, Hilton Impressario, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Roswood Elite, MO Fan Club
I'm on the 0705 from LCY to FRA tomorrow morning...hopefully everything works out OK for me. Will keep you guys posted!!
Old Jan 13, 2019, 12:30 pm
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
For info : Lufthansa informed all landside to airside security checkpoints will be closed. Only transfer checkpoints to be open. Fraport asked to not come to the airport.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 3:30 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, Hyatt Prive, Hilton Impressario, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Roswood Elite, MO Fan Club
LCY-FRA this morning....all OK and no issues (as expected). I must say that non-EU immigration queues were unusually busy..though I don't think this has anything to do with the strikes...
Old Jan 14, 2019, 4:50 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
German media is reporting that 1/3 of flights at FRA are cancelled on Tuesday.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 5:18 am

Programs: BAEC, HHonours, IHG, Bonvoy, KFC Colonel's club
According to reports at FRA security staff will go on strike between 02:00 to 20:00.
HAM will be a 24 hour strike starting at midnight
MUC will be from 03:30 to 20:00.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 5:22 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
I'm not sure the MUC strike has been confirmed yet. FRA is definite but I am seeing little in the way of cancellations apart from Lufthansa who have already cancelled over 400 flights. Not sure if this is because there is a chance of the action being scrubbed or if the airlines are not wanting people to reschedule their flights yet.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 5:25 am

Programs: BAEC, HHonours, IHG, Bonvoy, KFC Colonel's club
There is little information but looks like it's going ahead

https://www.munich-airport.com/fligh...transit-240142
Old Jan 14, 2019, 5:33 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Cheny
There is little information but looks like it's going ahead

https://www.munich-airport.com/fligh...transit-240142

Yes, I saw this but interestingly, no flights have been cancelled yet wheras in FRA over 400 have been cancelled from Lufthansa alone. Other carriers, including BA, do not seem to be cancelling just yet, but I for one am happy I do not need to go anywhere until Friday.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 11:54 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
All of FRA - LON services are now cancelled, as are two HAM - LHR. HAJ running normally.

However what seems to be happening is that BA is running the flights from UK to Germany, then running the aircraft back home empty. So of the nine services to FRA, 3 are cancelled, the other 6 are currently still working. Only one LHR-HAM service is cancelled.

No changes to DUS as of now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.