Wiki Posts
Search

Design of the Silver card

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2019, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum, ALL Gold, Bonvoy Gold Elite, HHonors Gold
Unhappy Design of the Silver card

Returning home from the nondenominational holiday season, I finally achieved Silver for the first time! And while I'm certainly excited for the leap of benefits that I'll be able to use now, I actually found myself quite disappointed in the design of the Silver card.

I fully realise this is the most non-problem of all non-problems (I feel like I might be on the right forum though ). It's probably just the graphic designer in me, but I really liked the chic propellor pattern of the Bronze card - it even colour matched the leather of my wallet!

The glossy 3D ribbon across the Silver card looks like a second-rate ISP's website from the early 2010s. Even the BA app looked better in the Bronze accents than the grey Silver ones!

Looking into this, I found out that the Bronze card was redesigned in 2014 to introduce the pattern, and looking at the older card, I can see how that would have 'gone together' with the current Silver design more. I'm just wondering, if they redesigned the Bronze card to look nicer, why didn't they do so to Silver as well? Is that something that might still happen? (Please?)

Seeing as how I'd very much want to retain Silver for its benefits, while going for Gold isn't realistic in my circumstances, I guess I'll have to start getting used to this being in my wallet once the physical card arrives...
Old Jan 4, 2019, 12:13 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by groenroos
Returning home from the nondenominational holiday season, I finally achieved Silver for the first time! And while I'm certainly excited for the leap of benefits that I'll be able to use now, I actually found myself quite disappointed in the design of the Silver card.

Seeing as how I'd very much want to retain Silver for its benefits, while going for Gold isn't realistic in my circumstances, I guess I'll have to start getting used to this being in my wallet once the physical card arrives...
And in your wallet it’s likely to remain !

I’m struggling to think of any scenarios where you will find it necessary to actually present the physical card itself. Maybe there would be a need some day ..... but it would be a rare happening.
imkevinmc and lhrpete like this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 12:22 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Rumours abound regarding a redesign of all the cards, now awaiting the complaints regarding the new designs.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 12:22 pm

Programs: BAEC - Gold, IHG - Spire Ambassador
Asked to show cards

We flew back from MLA after the Xmas holidays yesterday and bypassed check in as we were travelling HBO. When we handed our (Golds in CE) boarding cards to the lounge host he asked to see our membership cards. He said ALL other guests were given an invite at check in that allowed them to access the lounge and as we couldn’t produce an invite we had to show proof of entitlement. I thought pants on fire and fished a couple of BAEC cards out of my bag.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 12:23 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

I see your point but the physical card makes no difference really. What is important is the benefits as you say, lounge access, Group 2, fast track, exits on short haul, 50% more Avios................

Your in the right place though to write about such things
Old Jan 4, 2019, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum, ALL Gold, Bonvoy Gold Elite, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by subject2load
I’m struggling to think of any scenarios where you will find it necessary to actually present the physical card itself.
Aside from the occasional lounge access issue MrsW mentioned above, I personally do like to waste my Avios on the Mini Jaffa Cakes from the ET catering perhaps more often than I should!

And even the digital card in the BA app has the same twirling glass ribbon of yesteryear on it...
Old Jan 4, 2019, 1:24 pm

If the design is anything like the gold card you'll probably find the word "Silver" rubs off quite easily after a couple of months in a frequently used section of your wallet. Just as quickly as the novelty wears off of holding such status in the first place
Old Jan 4, 2019, 1:34 pm

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
Originally Posted by subject2load

And in your wallet it’s likely to remain !

I’m struggling to think of any scenarios where you will find it necessary to actually present the physical card itself. Maybe there would be a need some day ..... but it would be a rare happening.
How about when buying duty free goods on board and they need to swipe the card so that you get the Avios due?
Old Jan 4, 2019, 2:12 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by johnaalex
How about when buying duty free goods on board and they need to swipe the card so that you get the Avios due?
They just type the number in when you tell them what it is ... either from memory, BP or app.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
It's only a card.

I don't particularly like the design of any of the various loyalty and other cards I have and it dosen't stop me whipping it out to scan it to get some points etc
argonath likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 2:21 pm

It's called the Silver card but seems to be made out of plastic. Huge disappointment.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 5:31 pm
ECR

The Blue physical card is already history and I would imagine the others will follow suit in a few years as a cost cutting measure, leaving only the mobile app to display the card.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 5:56 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Platinum; Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
It's only a card.

I don't particularly like the design of any of the various loyalty and other cards I have and it dosen't stop me whipping it out to scan it to get some points etc
I really like the design of the IHG Spire card, but I think that's the only loyalty card I hold I'd give such an accolade to.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 11:06 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by MrsW
We flew back from MLA after the Xmas holidays yesterday and bypassed check in as we were travelling HBO. When we handed our (Golds in CE) boarding cards to the lounge host he asked to see our membership cards. He said ALL other guests were given an invite at check in that allowed them to access the lounge and as we couldn’t produce an invite we had to show proof of entitlement. I thought pants on fire and fished a couple of BAEC cards out of my bag.
A CE boarding pass wasn't sufficient proof of entitlement?

I've entered the lounge at MLA several times just using mobile app boarding passes.

The only time I've really needed to show my BA card was at SYD and HKG when I put my QF number into the booking but used BA Gold benefits, and once when a clueless lounge dragon at LGW claimed that CX BPs might not show BA status correctly, although using the digital card would probably have convinced him.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 12:58 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR; AB Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by johnaalex
I remember when a flight attendant tried to swipe my card several times but ended up typing in the digits.
Is that swipe feature really working?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.