FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1949126-ba-tier-point-runs-2019-20-edition.html)

Definilogy Jan 5, 2019 10:20 am

Originally Posted by Blueboys999 (Post 30612158)
As a MAN based flyer myself I have found that maximising TP's Eastbound usually means flying on MAN-DOH-XXX on QR. Not only convenient but a great experience with multiple ex MAN departures. There is a suggestion that a QR sale is about to happen on or around 17 January (far from certain) so it might be worth holding off if you can to see if something comes along.

Originally Posted by madfish (Post 30610993)

To begin with, look at MAN/HKG as a direct service. You’d be earning 140TPs each way in J. But will pay the price. Do you have dates in mind? In which case what can you get price wise.

Then look at this with options via LHR. An additional 40TPs each way, but still pricey.

Consider ex-EU options via LHR on BA. Will be cheaper fitvthe same TPs. Then look at these but connecting with a OW airline. The obvious suggestion would be QR via DOH. That should see 560TPs in J.

Run some basic searches using the above and see what you get.

Thanks for the initial help!

I’ve actually also looked at ex-EU, from Stockholm, France, Italy as other options but it seems like the below two are the options which makes the most senses:

Finnair J MAN-HEL-HKG for £1600-1700 round trip (440 TP round trip)
Qatar J MAN-DOH-HKG for £2200 round trip (560 TP round trip)

Would I be better off positioning to elsewhere in the UK to start?

Nephoi Jan 5, 2019 10:24 am

Originally Posted by Dicksbits (Post 30613887)
Could this sort of itinerary be booked online? BA multi city tool only allows 6 legs - sorry if this is a stupid Q!

OTP - JFK is the first leg.

Dicksbits Jan 5, 2019 10:28 am

Originally Posted by Nephoi (Post 30613928)
OTP - JFK is the first leg.

Thanks!

madfish Jan 5, 2019 11:12 am

Originally Posted by Definilogy (Post 30613917)

I’ve actually also looked at ex-EU, from Stockholm, France, Italy as other options but it seems like the below two are the options which makes the most senses:

JER would see you get to LGW which has direct flights to DOH. Or INV to LHR.

wilsnunn Jan 5, 2019 11:37 am

1 Attachment(s)

For ex-EU to South East Asia, please see attached my spreadsheet. Prices are for August 2019 and Avios is reflective of what I would earn as a silver.

cgtechuk Jan 5, 2019 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by flyer_tom (Post 30612888)
Huge thanks to KARFA for setting up the thread! Looking forward to seeing what TP runs people get up to and become available this year.

That's a lovely little TP run! I think I'm going to try and do something similar - although probably with only 1 AUH - CMB - CGK run. However at the moment the positioning flights are coming up in the several thousands for me!

How did you manage to get the position flight in W so cheap? I'm only looking on GF rather than through ITA - would that potentially have something to do with it? (Assume the 2 runs AUH - CGK are 2 separate nested tickets? Easy to B2B there)?

You should be able to price to get rough dates via Google Flights then plug it into BA.com to get the correct price,

ExINV has better availability going to DXB rather than AUH and you can to a 1 hourish transfer to AUH you can even open jaw to do INV - LHR - DXB AUH - LHR - GLA/INV/EDI

Its a bit fidgety to get it to price Premium Economy as @madfish pointed out but very good value

thejohn Jan 5, 2019 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by Dicksbits (Post 30613887)
Could this sort of itinerary be booked online? BA multi city tool only allows 6 legs - sorry if this is a stupid Q!

it can be booked on BA using the multi city tool if you use the last line to fly from LAX to OTP. it normally defaults to BOS on the way back or to JFK in Y.

Line 1 OTP-LHR
Line 2 LHR-JFK
Line 3 JFK-LAX
Line 4 LAX-PHX
Line 5 PHX-LAX
Line 6 LAX-OTP
I hope that helps
John

Dicksbits Jan 5, 2019 2:21 pm

[QUOTE=
I hope that helps
John[/QUOTE]

Thank you very much !

Dicksbits Jan 5, 2019 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by thejohn (Post 30609818)
Here's what I have just booked which works out to 800 teir points and plus the positioning flights the day before and after get's me to gold again with 3 months to spare for €1239 and over 47000 Avios.

Thanks for your help on this John. Sadly the price has risen to £1,672 (probably because I class fares have sold out), but it has given me the confidence to work the BA multicity tool for other dates and I will report anything good I find!

carrotjuice Jan 5, 2019 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by cgtechuk (Post 30609348)
AUH - CMB - CGK - £510 for 560Tps if you use an OTA via SkyScanner you can get it down to as low as £479

Last year UL also had a bunch of such great return fares to AUH / DOH / MCT from the other way round, i.e. originating CGK. This year I can't find them anymore. Are they no longer available ex CGK or am I just not looking where I should?

Blueboys999 Jan 5, 2019 11:05 pm

As ever, it depends. I don't mind so much positioning for the outbound flight but I do like to return to my home airport without the need to stop over wherever that might be. Many of the UK departure point fares do allow that (eg. out from INV/JER return to MAN) but ex EU itineraries almost always require returning to the country of origin or there's a hefty extra charge for an open jaw.

My advice would be to write down the overall cost of the various options including all hotel and positioning and then compare. IME that usually makes the position much clearer and the choice simpler.

thejohn Jan 6, 2019 12:27 am

Originally Posted by Dicksbits (Post 30614922)
Thanks for your help on this John. Sadly the price has risen to £1,672 (probably because I class fares have sold out), but it has given me the confidence to work the BA multicity tool for other dates and I will report anything good I find!

Glad I could help you in the right direction, and it's a shame Dicksbits. Have you tried other dates within the sale window if you have the flexibility, as I posted I use ITA Matrix to find the price I want then input into BA Multi City Tool.
John

hugh2 Jan 6, 2019 6:57 am

Hi
I'm usually a lurker, but would appreciate some help - I can't get this to price on AA with what google flight and ITA.Matrix says the price is (see attachment
) - it keeps pricing at £2048
what am i doing wrong - i will have to book via AA to use up a $200 voucher
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...1e7a05a249.png
AMS - HNL TP run

IAANN Jan 6, 2019 7:31 am

Originally Posted by hugh2 (Post 30617134)
Hi
I'm usually a lurker, but would appreciate some help - I can't get this to price on AA with what google flight and ITA.Matrix says the price is (see attachment
) - it keeps pricing at £2048
what am i doing wrong - i will have to book via AA to use up a $200 voucher
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...1e7a05a249.png
AMS - HNL TP run

B2B to HNL 🤣🤣
How many TPs and Avios you'll get?

TFFT Jan 6, 2019 7:38 am

How do you add so many sectors into BA.com? I find it limits it to 6?