Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Filthy Cabin [787-9 from Mexico City]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2019, 9:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by noddie09
Can anyone confirm this? Is it the same aircraft people are having issues with? My aircraft was G-ZBKE
I have a feeling it was a 787 on the same route.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, NZ Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by HIDDY
I have a feeling it was a 787 on the same route.
Well in that case, I'm expecting a very generic reply.......Copy & paste!
Old Jan 3, 2019, 9:16 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Can anyone confirm this? Is it the same aircraft people are having issues with? My aircraft was G-ZBKE
I personally haven’t felt inclined to travel in F on BA since my last such flight with them as far back as April last year.

That was also a 787 (LHR-MCT), and the cabin fixtures & fittings were certainly looking a tad scruffy - though in fairness, cleanliness was not an issue on that particular flight. No idea what the a/c Reg was.

Others may have a different view, but my own thinking (FWIW !) is that it’s not worth tracking down matching numbers from past reports, even if feasible.
BA would like nothing more than to tell you that your experience was merely unfortunate, sort of bad luck, in as much as only ONE of their aircraft is involved .... they’re aware of it ..... and just about to sort it out, etc, etc. The reality, I’m convinced, is that several aircraft are similarly affected.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 9:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Well in that case, I'm expecting a very generic reply.......Copy & paste!
Is this the same flight that had no Champagne to offer you?
Old Jan 3, 2019, 9:25 am
Original Poster

It would be great to see one huge forum with photos from a range of aircraft. I have no doubt they will be tell this was a one off but the crew's expression told a whole different story. As mortified as they were, this wasn't the first time the issue had happened. Both members told me a report would be made and offered to top up my champagne to keep me sweet. In reality however, I was stuck sitting in a grubby seat for 11 hours trying to figure out what button done what and wondered what other surprises awaited me before the seat was made in to a bed.

I for one won't be rushing to fly First class with them. Sadly I have another 16 upcoming return flights this year which are a combination of CE & CW flights. After this experience, I think I would happily accept a backwards facing Club World seat. At least the controls and seat were in better condition.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Is this the same flight that had no Champagne to offer you?
Nope, that was the outbound. Surprisingly for NYE the bar was well stocked.
HIDDY likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 9:53 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Hi All,

I recently returned from a BA flight from Mexico in 1A and the state of the cabin was beyond a joke. The locker by my head was broken, the leather around the table was completely shredded, the remote control looked like it had been bashed against a wall by a 3 year old for the last 5 years. Is this now the new normal standard people can expect from BA? Has anyone complained about this in the past?

The flight was on the ground for 2 hours in Mexico before we departed and there was no way this was cleaned. The plastic wrappers from the headphones and blanket were stuffed in my locker from the previous flight and the seat was covered in crumbs. Disappointing is an under statement.

Should I email BA? Will anyone even bother to reply? On a positive note, the crew were fantastic and they were mortified when I pointed all this out. Sadly the cabin was fully booked so no spare seat was available.
So what did the CSD/CSM say when you told him/her? He/She should have logged this there and then. This presumably happened on 1st Jan? That is shocking.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 10:01 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond
The damaged leather trim is a known and acknowledged issue across the fleet. It's been taken up with the seat manufacturer and an interim solution has been found internally, however implementation appears to be slow. The 787-10 suite has had this issue resolved at the design stage.

The scratched seat controls are again a known problem. Samples were sent to the manufacturer and more spares were requested to speed up replacements. However again it takes time.

From a customer service perspective, I know compensation has been offered by Customer Relations for these issues.
Prospero and adrianlondon like this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Reminded me of one of those regular epics on TV fluffing BA and/or Heathrow - where enthusiastic employee was inspecting a First cabin for the very slightest of blemishes "because our customers expect the best".

Seems they've realised they can get away with third-rate. So please do write in: it will be another straw on that camel's back.
That very advert came to mind while reading this thread. I suggest those complaining about substandard and filthy seats include it when complaining. I always carry antibacterial wipes when travelling.

That seat is is inexcusable from BA. The FC seemed to have worked hard to overcome the bad impression but selling these seats is embarrassing.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 10:08 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I’m flying F to PHX In two weeks. I’ll be the one in motorbike cleaning overalls. Do drop by for a drink.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 10:16 am

Programs: LH HON, QF CL, SQ TPPS, AF Plat, VS Gold, VA Plat, EK Gold, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Marriott Plat
Is this now the new normal standard people can expect from BA?
Yes, sadly.

Originally Posted by kaizenflying
Cleaning its aircraft properly is not a priority for BA and many airlines - managing delays, getting the aircraft in the air and cutting costs is what counts.
Whilst other European airlines are all fiercely cost cutting, I have *never* experienced a filthy cabin in First on Lufthansa or Swiss from ANY airport around the world, even on very tight turn-arounds due to delayed incoming flights.

On BA even ex-LHR the cabin is usually filthy. I couldn’t even count the amount of dark black hairs on the white headrest cover upon boarding at LHR in F to MIA. Simply foul, I just won’t do it if I can avoid it. They just don’t care.
bowzer91 likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 10:48 am

I couldn’t agree more about dirty planes - I always complain if it occurs. I have discovered it is not a situation unique to BA though, VS also have dirty planes too. My last two flights in J on VS I have had cause to complain over the condition of the seat and cleanliness. I suppose the difference is that VS, whilst still providing a cut and paste response, also throw some Flying Club Miles your way. BA say that in order to be fair to everyone nobody gets any miles. BA might as well just reply with a simple “So what?” for all the good it seems to do. Eventually the familiar phrases about learning through feedback just seem hollow and empty. BA management don’t care that you’re happy they just want your money.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 10:52 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
It isn’t confined to BA, or indeed even European carriers, but that seat shouldn’t be in service.
HIDDY likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 1:14 pm

Arent LH F fares far higher than BA though? And so you might expect there to be differences...
Old Jan 3, 2019, 1:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by gw76
Arent LH F fares far higher than BA though? And so you might expect there to be differences...
That wear and tear shouldn't be acceptable in Y. It's not a Northern Rail train
AnaTravel likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.