Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Inappropriate seat reassignment?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2019, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by richardwft

When is the position of the curtain decided ?
Do silver status passengers who never go over 620 TPs and flirt with easyJet to GVA really matter?
About an hour before departure.
FlyerTalker39574 likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 11:49 am
Original Poster

Indeed, my expectations have been adjusted - thank you for all of your responses and the welcome.

I understand the economics behind last-minute Club extensions, it's just that I'd assume an automated seat reassignment for situations like this could be programmed into their system to avoid shoving Golds to the A319 toilet seat in row 25. After all, BA acknowledges that some seats are better than others by charging different fees for reservation, and that particular seat is as bad as it can get.

To KARFA's question re my expectations - I guess I was spoiled by BA last year. On one occasion, cabin crew on a full 777 moved my partner from Economy to Club (where I was seated) and shifted people around just minutes before takeoff, just so we could have the twin seat, after I casually mentioned that my partner was at the back without implying anything. I was borderline embarrassed (as I fully recognise that this was an extreme example of going an extra mile) but this did make me understand what the Golden Ticket is for. I also had several occasions of lounge staff readily moving me/us to earlier flights or proactively suggesting better seats. Another driver of my expectations is the belief I must have developed at some point during my FFer career that middle seats and toilet rows were reserved for those of us who check in at the airport counter.

I guess I never experienced this situation because I typically go for the exit row when in Economy and it wasn't available this time round. My only other seat reassignment last year was on an E190 from 1CD (extra legroom) to 1AB for "operational reasons", which turned out to be a C-list celebrity and a member of entourage.

As ever, BA could've handled this better by politely explaining that their seating policy has no room for swaps in these situations instead of saying it was too late in a somewhat accusative manner and suggesting I reserve my seats next time...

Lesson learnt - I'll stick to the exit row!

Last edited by dubistokay; Jan 3, 2019 at 11:56 am
Old Jan 3, 2019, 2:22 pm
ECR

I've never been moved back for a curtain move, but I have been moved forward once when in Club Europe on a Newcastle flight. The lounge agent thought I had been upgraded, but it was just that my original seat in row 5 or 6 was now behind the curtain.

I usually prefer to sit further back in the plane, but not quite as far as 25, so don't often run the risk of a chain move. If I have a tight connection, I will choose a seat further forward but like to leave a few rows as a buffer between the curtain to reduce the risk of being moved back.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 3:01 pm
Jed

Programs: BA Gold, AA 1MM lifetime gold, Starwood gold, Marriott Gold Elite
I feel for the OP. As BAEC gold they have a choice of the furthest forward seats when open for selection and they shouldn't have to be constantly watching the curtain thereafter. BA should have a better system in place to shift seats fairly.

It happened to us last summer on a packed 767 to ARN. We (3 gold and 1 infant) got shifted from something like row 8 right to the back (row 30 something). I wouldn't have minded except for the fact that clearing immigration at ARN would have taken a good hour from that far back. We spoke to the CSD on board who proactively moved us to CE with 10 min to go until landing. So it worked out OK in the end.
FlyerTalker39574 likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 3:10 pm

I wonder if these issues are more pronounced when people are traveling in groups (OP appears to be in a pair). Since most people prefer seats closer to the front, adjoining seats of 2/3 may not even be available until very far back in the cabin, especially if the curtain is moved very close to departure when many have chosen their seats.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by simons1
...The option of course is to travel in CE where such issues are less likely to occur.
Or select (where you can) a carrier with a dedicated business-class cabin. We have our fair share of problems on Turkish, but a shifting curtain is rarely one of them.....
Cris L and wrp96 like this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 4:08 am

Programs: Qantas (Lifetime Gold), PAL (Elite), British Airways (now sadly blue), Cathay MPO DM
Originally Posted by KARFA
Welcome to FT!

Yes as noted above regardless of your status you have no ability with BA to move other passengers so you can have a better seat. As a GGL I can’t move anyone just because I like their seat better, not even a blue

Out of interest are there airlines you travel with which will do that? It sounds from what you wrote that you had some expectation they would move someone to your seat so you could have theirs, and I just wondered whether this was born from experience elsewhere?
I can't speak for the OP but I would consider this normal on the airlines I fly... Cathay, Qantas etc. Just got off a BA flight and I must say thet are considerably worse than pretty much all the Asian airlines I fly. Sad how bad they have become.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 4:15 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by fairhsa
I can't speak for the OP but I would consider this normal on the airlines I fly... Cathay, Qantas etc.
Normal that they would arbitrarily move other passengers to give you a better seat? So at CX/QF a ground agent would move other people around on the seat map so you can have their seat? What must the people who get moved think?
Old Jan 4, 2019, 5:37 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
Normal that they would arbitrarily move other passengers to give you a better seat? So at CX/QF a ground agent would move other people around on the seat map so you can have their seat? What must the people who get moved think?
Indeed, sounds like nonsense to me. Imagine people being re-allocated and new BPs issued en masse. And then the arguments that would arise....."I am a silver so I should get my choice before them as they are bronze/blue etc".

Unfortunate, but it's easiest just to do one move involving the person affected and an empty seat. Being a Gold card holder does not exempt one from the 'operational circumstances' get out.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 10:01 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
But this isn't an operational issue IMO... it is a revenue issue. Presumably (?) the curtain was moved to fit in more J passengers. That is to allow BA to sell more J tickets and make more profit. Displacing a Gold member for that reason is, IMO, not right.

IMO, moving the curtain should only be permitted after check in has commenced if it would not displace Gold or Silver members unless there is some genuine overriding operational issue.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 11:13 am

On New Year's Day just there I was moved within an hour of the scheduled flight departure time on LHR-GLA to 24B. Original seat was 7C so I assumed the CE curtain had been moved back. It was annoying as despite being priority boarding I was pulled aside at the gate while others boarded so that they could reprint me a new boarding pass manually.

The irony was when I boarded the plane and realised I'd probably been moved for weight distribution as there were only a handful of people on the whole flight. Once airborne CC allowed me to move as I pleased
Old Jan 4, 2019, 1:12 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
There must be a way to do this. Indeed BA do sometimes do so. A recent equipment change from 788 to 789 had myself and Mrs Tafflyer initially booted from 1JK to 6JK. This is acceptable. When the CE curtain moves backwards, why not just move the whole plane’s allocated seats (excluding exit rows) back by the same number of rows. Seats allocated at the back can be filled in further forwards. Either that or leave a block of rows somewhere on the aircraft to be filled up by this processYes, it means changing far more seats but at least it’s like for like. My pet hate is when (front) row 2DF are reserved and an aircraft sub introduces row 1 without moving the seat assignment forward, leaving sub-Ryanair legroom in CE. Front row should always be reassigned to new front row.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 1:27 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Tafflyer
When the CE curtain moves backwards, why not just move the whole plane’s allocated seats (excluding exit rows) back by the same number of rows.
And have 150 people turn up at the gate with incorrect BPs that need reissued?
chrisboote likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by Scots_Al

And have 150 people turn up at the gate with incorrect BPs that need reissued?
I'm happy for a new seat number to be biro'd on to my existing boarding pass at the gate - it still happens from time to time. Mobile boarding passes can similarly be electronically refreshed to reflect the seat change.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by snaxmuppet
But this isn't an operational issue IMO... it is a revenue issue. Presumably (?) the curtain was moved to fit in more J passengers. That is to allow BA to sell more J tickets and make more profit. Displacing a Gold member for that reason is, IMO, not right.

IMO, moving the curtain should only be permitted after check in has commenced if it would not displace Gold or Silver members unless there is some genuine overriding operational issue.
Personally I would class that as 'operational' but YMMV.

In the real world no airline is going to turn away bookings and revenue simply to avoid displacing a Gold/Silver who may have a cheapo ticket. If greater certainty over the precise seat is needed then best to either sit further back or purchase a J ticket.
snaxmuppet likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.