Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

(What's So Funny 'Bout) Please, Thank You and Understatement

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2019, 11:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF, BA, VA

So 2019 is here, BA has looked after me rather well over the last 12 months and I find myself starting the year with a little ex EU jaunt to Sydney and on to Melbourne in F with added bits in CE and QF J.

I am an inveterate, some may say habitual, occupant of the CCR at LHR, and bucking what seems to be a trend on FT, I find it a pleasant experience. In particular I think the staff are jolly good, engaging and all up rather fun. (I know this is heresy to an alarming number of posters here.)

What does irk me though is the number of pax in the lounge whose vocabulary lacks some rather wonderful words - Please and Thank You. As I find myself sitting at the bar with a Dry Martini, ruing BA's failure to insist upon Coates Plymouth Gin (Navy Strength of course.) as the go to gin, I am taken aback by the number of people who do not utter please when making their drinks request, nor thank you when receiving it.

I understand that I sound like a letter writer to The Times c1950, but, what ho, it is a bit off. (Manners maketh man and all that.) [....and no that phrase was in use several hundred years before the 2015 Kingsman film. ]

Happy New Year folks. ​​​

*As with the vast majority of my inane posts the teenagers might have to google the odd reference - not least my rather pathetic attempt at a title.
Gerbs, CCayley, tenn_ace and 36 others like this.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 11:29 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
I'd wholehearted agree, well said! If people were a little more understanding of others, showed respect to those, particularly when they are trying to help the whole system would be far more pleasant to enjoy.

Happy new year to you too.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 11:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Well seen you are located in Cheam. ^

Feliz ano Nuevo to you too.
TonyHancock likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 11:57 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
I fully agree about the staff. I’ve had some very pleasant evenings at the bar.

And I also agree with regard to basic manners. I have to pretty annoyed with somebody/something before I voluntarily fail to say please or thank you.
TonyHancock and Silver Fox like this.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 12:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold
It’s basic good manners to say please and thank you.

Anybody who doesn’t do this is sub-human in my eyes.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 12:49 pm

I completely agree. Last night I was volunteering as ambulance crew and I even said please when asking a drunk gentleman to not spit at me again. Literally no excuse not to be polite. It greases the wheels of life.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 12:54 pm

Programs: BAEC
Thank you for the thread

Old Jan 1, 2019, 12:56 pm

I will come to the rescue for some of the "non-please" saying crowd. In many non English speaking countries there is actually no word used as "please" is in English, so might get lost. However, a thank you, everyone should be able to muster. If not, burn them at the stake, together with the native English speaking that misses on please!
Old Jan 1, 2019, 1:12 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Nothing new and not just BA. Many many years ago now I was on an EK flight from DXB to LHR and when given my meal I said "thank you". The stewardess stopped in her tracks stared at me, took a step back and asked " did you say 'thank you?'". I had made her day (maybe even week/month)
tynmar likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 1:15 pm

Programs: BA (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by TonyHancock

*As with the vast majority of my inane posts the teenagers might have to google the odd reference - not least my rather pathetic attempt at a title.
I entirely agree with your (not in the least inane) post. If it can be inferred from the title that you were a 70s Punk, shouldn't you be bringing about the End of Civilisation as We Know It (I know because I accidentally caught a glimpse of a Daily Mail in 1977 and that's what it foretold) rather than expressing gratitude to people who hand you beverages in an airport lounge?
TonyHancock likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by Knodde
I will come to the rescue for some of the "non-please" saying crowd. In many non English speaking countries there is actually no word used as "please" is in English, so might get lost. However, a thank you, everyone should be able to muster. If not, burn them at the stake, together with the native English speaking that misses on please!
There most certainly are equivalents of "please" in Spanish, French, Italian to be used when asking and receiving something... And I daresay that the overwhelming majority of people using the CCR or BA knows English fairly well. I used to count the number of "pleases" I received when flying or working on the ground and I found, in my little experience, that Traveller passengers thanked more than those flying on the pointy end. In fact, I received more insults and I've been cursed more times in two hours as the "bouncer" of the CCR door, the one by South Security, than in a day volunteering during disruption due to snow. My great-grandmother used to say that many have money but few are gentlemen.

I really feel for those - waiters, cashiers, cabin crew, security agents, all those professions where you deal with many people every day - who are subject to this lack of manners.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by 13900
There most certainly are equivalents of "please" in Spanish, French, Italian to be used when asking and receiving something... And I daresay that the overwhelming majority of people using the CCR or BA knows English fairly well. I used to count the number of "pleases" I received when flying or working on the ground and I found, in my little experience, that Traveller passengers thanked more than those flying on the pointy end. In fact, I received more insults and I've been cursed more times in two hours as the "bouncer" of the CCR door, the one by South Security, than in a day volunteering during disruption due to snow. My great-grandmother used to say that many have money but few are gentlemen.

I really feel for those - waiters, cashiers, cabin crew, security agents, all those professions where you deal with many people every day - who are subject to this lack of manners.
Well, but those are, as you clearly state, Spanish, French and Italian, so more a question of no manners there! Burn em at the stake!! 😋
Old Jan 1, 2019, 1:53 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Knodde
German speakers use BITTE (=please) very often, it also has other (related) useages, as discussed at https://www.thoughtco.com/many-meani...-bitte-1445193
Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:18 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
I suspect that this issue is less to do with vocabulary and more to do with a culture for some who believe it it is beneath them to treat people, who they see as servile, with a basic level of respect. A long lingering remnant of feudal societies, which has no place in the modern world.
GLA, TravellerFrequently and Hilde like this.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 3:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
Rudeness...why all the excuses? It's the same as those who just want to talk loud on mobiles or park themselves close by and start having Telecon meetings on line. Over it all. It must be hard being so important and that basic manners can escape so many.
Silver Fox, mrow and flygirl68 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.