Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2019 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Link to Text of the regulations in PDF format

Downgrades: Mennens case - calculation formula is in this post
787 cancellations due to Trent engine issues - CEDR ruling information from the post in the 2018 thread and onwards.
Print Wikipost

The 2019 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2019, 11:23 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Which important fact I should have mentioned... this is one ticket so question is what my final destination would be I guess
Old Sep 22, 2019, 11:26 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by bisonrav
Which important fact I should have mentioned... this is one ticket so question is what my final destination would be I guess
As far as EC261 compo goes, the outbound and inbound sectors are measured independently
Old Sep 22, 2019, 11:26 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
If you’re delayed on a single ticket and miss a connection then it’s EC261 eligible. BA would need to put you up in EDI and rebook you on morning service. Plus compensation depending on reasons for delay of course.

could also ask for rerouting back on the delayed LHR flight..

Guessing you need the TPs or you could ask BA to refund as you will be so delayed reaching LGW.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 11:27 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Thanks for the comment. I would hardly be on one ticket with EasyJet, would I?
Well, you could have mentioned that...

Great edit.
bisonrav likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by lorcancoyle
I’d keep an eye on the BA app - looks like 28 mins between arrival and departure now, so could be ok.

Don’t think there’s any EC261 beyond any duty of care for 2 hour delay - but covered by lounge access I think.

Would try to get seat as close to exit as possible and be primed to get off ASAP...
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Well, you could have mentioned that...

Great edit.
Fullsome apologies

I did mention it in other conversations on the same subject. Just not, errr, here.

Trying to to decide whether to make it a trip in vain and using National Express to get to Gatwick. Or hold out for the EC261
DYKWIA likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 11:50 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Trying to to decide whether to make it a trip in vain and using National Express to get to Gatwick. Or hold out for the EC261
If I have understood correctly, this is a delayed rather than cancelled flight, and it's not a B2B as LHR-EDI-LGW but it is one ticket. The EDI-LGW is presumably working, the LHR-EDI is delayed. And you are thinking of just going to LGW anyway.

If so, you would need to travel to get the Article 7 compensation, if not you will get the refund instead. The train or NEX to LGW would be at your own expense as you would be a former customer. Your other option is to dig out your diary and rebook to another date, which may actually be the most cost effective option.

The above is as ever dependent on my understanding of the details, various other details could alter this advice.
bisonrav likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 12:07 pm

I’ve bailed, it would theoretically be possible to travel but Gatwick flights tomorrow are apparently full and I’d be stuck there. So I’ve settled for a refund and a National Express ticket as a goodwill gesture.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 12:24 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
I’ve bailed, it would theoretically be possible to travel but Gatwick flights tomorrow are apparently full and I’d be stuck there. So I’ve settled for a refund and a National Express ticket as a goodwill gesture.
Call yourself a FlyerTalker after taking the rational choice that involved less stress, less flying and (potentially) less money. Tsk, tsk
bisonrav likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 12:52 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Hi - Submitted a claim on the 14th August after my inbound JTR flight was delayed by over 3 hours - not heard anything yet should I be chasing or is this time scale the norm?
Old Sep 22, 2019, 2:44 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by HTflyer
Hi - Submitted a claim on the 14th August after my inbound JTR flight was delayed by over 3 hours - not heard anything yet should I be chasing or is this time scale the norm?
I think it would be reasonable to call or Tweet. Usually I would say one month, but you can probably appreciate why they are overloaded at the moment. At 8 weeks you can refer it to CEDR.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Obviously you should apply, however I don't think you have a case. Quite a lot of details remain missing but had you got to London more than 4 hours after the NCL arrival time then you may have an argument in favour of compensation. Had you travelled and midway through decided the NCL was "in vain" then you may also have got further with this. But in this case you won't be delayed on one level, and you have effectively reticketed yourself to a new and different destination. However if you cancelled the booking altogether - and you were given less than 2 weeks notice (not clear here) then you could get the refund and claim the compensation. But depending on the missing details, you don't appear to have actually been through a delay, merely a missed opportunity to go to NCL.
Thanks for responding on this CWS. For clarity, JFK-LHR flight was cancelled only 24 hours before departure - i.e. after outbound travel had taken place. And I was re-ticketed all the way to NCL (JFK-BOS-LHR-NCL), but elected to abandon my trip at LHR. Don't know whether this changes your analysis at all!
Old Sep 22, 2019, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jk156
Thanks for responding on this CWS. For clarity, JFK-LHR flight was cancelled only 24 hours before departure - i.e. after outbound travel had taken place. And I was re-ticketed all the way to NCL (JFK-BOS-LHR-NCL), but elected to abandon my trip at LHR. Don't know whether this changes your analysis at all!
What time was your scheduled arrival into NCL say 10 days before booking, and what was your actual arrival time into LHR?
Old Sep 23, 2019, 2:42 am

Programs: ba gold
Customer services have announced they were able to send a replacement aircraft out to Madrid on the 10th. They also said the cancelled BA0457 and not the BA0465! I was the unlucky sod that had to overnight at theTryp!

"Thanks for contacting us about your claim for EU compensation. We're sorry it was necessary to cancel flight, BA0457 on 10 August 2019.I understand this is something you feel strongly about and I appreciate why you're unhappy with our previous replies.

I’ve had a final look at your claim for compensation and I’ve taken time to make sure our response is accurate and up-to-date. Based on this, our decision hasn’t changed and the responses you’ve received about the eligibility of your EU compensation claim are correct. Unfortunately, we were able to get a replacement aircraft out to Madrid as you would have liked.

As your flight was cancelled due to wind shear caused by the weather, and as weather is deemed beyond our control. This does mean we’re still unable to offer you EU compensation. I know you remain unhappy with this answer and I’m sorry to disappoint you.

We choose our hotels based on the fact they provide excellent standards and value for money. I'm sorry to hear that you were unable to sleep. We're very grateful you've taken the time to let us know what happened, as it’s only through your comments we’re able to focus on areas that need improving. We’ve sent the details of your complaint to our hotel supplier, who regularly visit the hotels we offer to make sure they meet our usual high standards. I know this doesn’t change your experience and I’m so sorry you’ve been let down.

Thanks again for getting in contact. I hope our decision won't stop you from choosing to fly with us. "

Last edited by roughlad; Sep 23, 2019 at 2:49 am Reason: spelling
Old Sep 23, 2019, 2:47 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

"As your flight was cancelled due to wind shear caused by the weather, and as weather is deemed beyond our control."

Priceless....
Silver Fox, florens and megaloman like this.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 4:16 am

BA464/5 10/8 - Interesting that @megaloman noted that the go-around was not weather related, but due to a prior aircraft not having vacated the runway; and that the overspeed indication was caused by an incorrect flap configuration climbing out (under BA control, or at least you would hope it was). I don't know what the source of this information is but it would be worth putting the question directly to BA in one of the CEDR responses.

But anyway, there was no damage. The issue they encountered was they couldn't access the diagnostic information relating to the overspeed because of either a software defect or unfamiliarity with the process requiring Airbus assistance. Neither is an exceptional event as far as I can see, and as CWS has pointed out the aircraft was being tested and this sort of problem should have been anticipated. Once the diagnostic had been checked there was no issue, so in fact even if you accept this as a weather related go-around the weather provoked only a warning, the technical defect was in the diagnostic sub-system or BA's ability to use it (more likely, as the A350 is flown by many operators presumably without problems using the same diagnostics). Under normal circumstances this would have been a very rapid job.

And then we get to the main point which was there was plenty of time to put a contingency plan in place at the BA home base which could reasonably have involved a replacement aircraft (or more than one) or rebooking on other services. It's not a question here of what they did, but what it is reasonable to expect they might have done.

My CEDR response is due on Friday, I will of course publish it here.
TFFT likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.