FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Your guide to spending Avios | 2019 edition (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1948402-your-guide-spending-avios-2019-edition.html)

DeltaNeutral28 Mar 14, 2019 8:01 am

Last time I booked an Avios flight domestically, I could get my Avios refunded if I cancelled more than 24 hours out (just losing the 5.60 TSA fee.) Does that still apply if I'm flying from the lower 48 to Hawaii with Avios. Some verbiage I ran into stated "
  • Time/date changes permitted up to 24 hours before your first flight, subject to availability, for a service fee.
  • You can cancel this booking at any time up to 24 hours before outbound departure and receive a full refund, minus a service fee.
Seems somewhat ambiguous, can I cancel more than 24 hours of advance and get all my avois back and pay no "service fee" (other than the $5.60 TSA fee)?

guv1976 Mar 14, 2019 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28 (Post 30886269)
Last time I booked an Avios flight domestically, I could get my Avios refunded if I cancelled more than 24 hours out (just losing the 5.60 TSA fee.) Does that still apply if I'm flying from the lower 48 to Hawaii with Avios. Some verbiage I ran into stated "
  • Time/date changes permitted up to 24 hours before your first flight, subject to availability, for a service fee.
  • You can cancel this booking at any time up to 24 hours before outbound departure and receive a full refund, minus a service fee.
Seems somewhat ambiguous, can I cancel more than 24 hours of advance and get all my avois back and pay no "service fee" (other than the $5.60 TSA fee)?

The rule is that a cancellation incurs either the standard service fee or forfeiture of whatever fees/taxes/carrier surcharges were collected when the redemption ticket was issued, whichever is less. (BA policy is not to make any additional collection when the cash paid for the redemption ticket is less than the cancellation fee.)

The fact that your destination is Hawaii does not change the foregoing.

andypag Mar 15, 2019 5:38 am

This is a really helpful thread, but somewhat jargon heavy for me, And mind boggling complex to get my head around. I have saved up 80k Avios. I have a silver BA card, and I've never found it advantageous to use avios because the fixed £ fees are always more than booking the cheapest flight i can find on SkyScanner/Expedia. Also I live in Belfast so any long haul flight requires a feeder flight into LHR and that makes availability really limited.

It's all so complicated and as far as I can see for no saving. Am I just being dense, or is this whole scheme a waste of time? What am I missing?

More practically, I'd be really grateful if someone could explian this to me in really simple tems: Dublin down the road has really cheap departure tax. How can I book a flight with my collected Avios direct from Dublin on whatever airline is going the way I want to go?

DeltaNeutral28 Mar 15, 2019 8:28 am

Originally Posted by guv1976 (Post 30887458)
The rule is that a cancellation incurs either the standard service fee or forfeiture of whatever fees/taxes/carrier surcharges were collected when the redemption ticket was issued, whichever is less. (BA policy is not to make any additional collection when the cash paid for the redemption ticket is less than the cancellation fee.)

The fact that your destination is Hawaii does not change the foregoing.

Thanks for info!

guv1976 Mar 15, 2019 9:58 am

Originally Posted by andypag (Post 30889793)
This is a really helpful thread, but somewhat jargon heavy for me, And mind boggling complex to get my head around. I have saved up 80k Avios. I have a silver BA card, and I've never found it advantageous to use avios because the fixed £ fees are always more than booking the cheapest flight i can find on SkyScanner/Expedia. Also I live in Belfast so any long haul flight requires a feeder flight into LHR and that makes availability really limited.

It's all so complicated and as far as I can see for no saving. Am I just being dense, or is this whole scheme a waste of time? What am I missing?

More practically, I'd be really grateful if someone could explian this to me in really simple tems: Dublin down the road has really cheap departure tax. How can I book a flight with my collected Avios direct from Dublin on whatever airline is going the way I want to go?

Well, it's not just the departure taxes; it's also the carrier surcharges that BA collects on many routes and many partners.

You can't redeem your Avios on just any airline that flies out of DUB, only on BA partners. Fortunately, Aer Lingus is a BA partner, and I believe that there are still low carrier surcharges for Avios redemptions on Aer Lingus trans-Atlantic flights.

To book Aer Lingus with BA Avios, you must call a BAEC Service Centre.

ricohitman Mar 16, 2019 10:30 am

I am looking for an itinerary that shows milesaaver economy availability on AA's website as well as shows on expertflyer, qantas, iberia, and alaskas websites, but does not show on the BA website.

It's the 759pm flight from CLT-TPA on American AA2202. I've called 3 times now to BA and reps have given me the "AA has not released availability for this flight to us." Is it possible that all other partners have availability except BA? Is there any workaround?

jerry a. laska Mar 16, 2019 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by ricohitman (Post 30894311)
I am looking for an itinerary that shows milesaaver economy availability on AA's website as well as shows on expertflyer, qantas, iberia, and alaskas websites, but does not show on the BA website.

It's the 759pm flight from CLT-TPA on American AA2202. I've called 3 times now to BA and reps have given me the "AA has not released availability for this flight to us." Is it possible that all other partners have availability except BA? Is there any workaround?

What day?

memesweeper Mar 17, 2019 1:10 am

Originally Posted by guv1976 (Post 30890772)
Well, it's not just the departure taxes; it's also the carrier surcharges that BA collects on many routes and many partners.

You can't redeem your Avios on just any airline that flies out of DUB, only on BA partners. Fortunately, Aer Lingus is a BA partner, and I believe that there are still low carrier surcharges for Avios redemptions on Aer Lingus trans-Atlantic flights.

To book Aer Lingus with BA Avios, you must call a BAEC Service Centre.

You can check availability and even book Aer Lingus online via Avios.com (you’ll need to create an EI account and transfer your points). But at least one blog advises against this as they claim calling BA to book reveals better availability and lower taxes/charges than booking through the official EI route!

kumarshah Mar 17, 2019 5:29 am

Anyone know of spending avios for car rental? Can't search for it online - any place I can email BA to get a quote?

ricohitman Mar 17, 2019 8:47 am

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska (Post 30895384)

What day?

12/14

lukasz666 Mar 18, 2019 1:25 pm

anybody canceled a flight bought in promotion last year for 50% avios? it shows me a 100% refund of avios; they correct it?

acinchus Mar 19, 2019 3:24 pm

Does the 36-month Avios expiration clock get reset, if an award ticket is booked and then subsequently canceled with the Avios miles redeposited?

wilsnunn Mar 21, 2019 5:03 am

I am trying to book an Avios + Money ticket in Y (need the ability to cancel or change the ticket) for Mrs Wilsnunn to go to KUL/SIN in the summer, I called the BA silver line to book the following:

LHR-KUL (BA)
SIN-DOH-LHR (QR then BA)

Unfortunately they couldn't price this over the phone (or online) the booking is showing in my wife's account but they said they will get back to me about the cost, any ideas about how long this can take? And will they be able to do Avios + Money or will it be a standard Avios + taxes/fares/etc only as I am trying to minimise my Avios spend as we are hoping to use them for a trip in F somewhere with a 2-4-1.

anniegray Mar 22, 2019 7:56 am

Originally Posted by kumarshah (Post 30896435)
Anyone know of spending avios for car rental? Can't search for it online - any place I can email BA to get a quote?

You can do it online

dreamline Mar 24, 2019 6:45 am

I've got almost 80K Avios and an upgrade voucher and I'm trying to think what's the best way to spend them?

My plan was to book Premium Economy with Avios and upgrade to Business (if possible?). I think I'll end up paying £800 to Mexico City which is a good deal imo. I'm trying to go as far as possible so if you know of better alternatives please shout!