FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Your guide to spending Avios | 2019 edition (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1948402-your-guide-spending-avios-2019-edition.html)

athens_epsilon Feb 25, 2019 4:06 pm

Expiry?

Hello, thank you for the comprehensive guide. I didn't find any information on expiry in the presentation - we have a family avios account with around 500K points and was wondering if avios points expire? If so when? We would ideally like to transfer more points from an amex card but would like to be cautious if there is possibility of expiry.

alex67500 Feb 26, 2019 3:46 am

Originally Posted by athens_epsilon (Post 30821230)
Hello, thank you for the comprehensive guide. I didn't find any information on expiry in the presentation - we have a family avios account with around 500K points and was wondering if avios points expire? If so when? We would ideally like to transfer more points from an amex card but would like to be cautious if there is possibility of expiry.

If you have any movement (collection, purchase, spend, sharing) every 36 months, you're covered, as stated here:
https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...s-expiry-rules

Not sure on the Household account, but I don't think the requirement is unmanageable. It's probably the most lenient policy out there.

BA6501 Feb 26, 2019 1:46 pm

I believe, in the case of a HHA, that each account needs to have movement every 36 months, unless one of the members has status. In that case, only one transaction made by anyone in the HHA will reset the expiry date for each account.

pauldb Feb 27, 2019 1:08 am

The transfer itself is treated as collection, so will reset the 36 months for the receiving account only( unless you have status).

The other accounts will need their own activity if they have avios to be kept alive. The cheapest option is to click through from each to an estore purchase. The easiest is a redemption that takes a spread of the avios from each account - you can book a cheap (throwaway) hotel in KTM for 400 avios.

alex67500 Feb 27, 2019 3:40 am

Originally Posted by BA6501 (Post 30824716)
I believe, in the case of a HHA, that each account needs to have movement every 36 months, unless one of the members has status. In that case, only one transaction made by anyone in the HHA will reset the expiry date for each account.

That's interesting. You're saying that if *one* person on the HHA is Bronze or above, it protects the whole HHA from expiry?

Markie Mar 2, 2019 5:11 am

Just to confirm, I CANNOT upgrade a BA flight booked as an AA codeshare on an AA ticket?

KARFA Mar 2, 2019 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by Markie (Post 30838357)
Just to confirm, I CANNOT upgrade a BA flight booked as an AA codeshare on an AA ticket?

if you mean upgrade with avios or GUF then no it must be on a BA 125-... ticket.

HarryKUK Mar 3, 2019 5:18 am

If I book an avios ticket ex-HKG to avoid the fuel surcharges does it apply to all subsequent sectors or just the leg departing HK?

I want to do a multi city thing so can’t price it online to check but thinking something like:

HKG-LHR-MAD // TXL-LHR-BKK all on one ticket.

Ta!

pauldb Mar 3, 2019 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by HarryKUK (Post 30841733)

If I book an avios ticket ex-HKG to avoid the fuel surcharges does it apply to all subsequent sectors or just the leg departing HK?

I want to do a multi city thing so can’t price it online to check but thinking something like:

HKG-LHR-MAD // TXL-LHR-BKK all on one ticket.

Ta!

There is no longer a bar on ex-HKG YQ, however YQ has been left fairly low (£25 for your outbound).

The bar would, I think, have benefitted your whole ticket but it now appears, having tried ITA, you’ll have to pay £228, implying £203 for the inbound. So maybe you want to go back to HKG! (£50 rtn YQ.)

HarryKUK Mar 3, 2019 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by pauldb (Post 30843004)

There is no longer a bar on ex-HKG YQ, however YQ has been left fairly low (£25 for your outbound).

The bar would, I think, have benefitted your whole ticket but it now appears, having tried ITA, you’ll have to pay £228, implying £203 for the inbound. So maybe you want to go back to HKG! (£50 rtn YQ.)

Why is the YQ on LHR-HKG still being kept low if there is no bar? I would have expected it to rise to levels seen for say KUL or SIN etc.

Thanks for the HKG suggestion on the return; that’s easy enough for me to fit into my plans!

pauldb Mar 4, 2019 2:35 am

Originally Posted by HarryKUK (Post 30844496)

Why is the YQ on LHR-HKG still being kept low if there is no bar? I would have expected it to rise to levels seen for say KUL or SIN etc.

Thanks for the HKG suggestion on the return; that’s easy enough for me to fit into my plans!

I don’t really have an answer, but I suppose
competition or a gradual impact on corporate deals are at play. CX charge a modest £43 e/w.

It’s actually starker than I thought. The YQ on HKG-LHR remains zero so they don’t appear to have set a new level at all yet; I presume your £25 is in fact for LHR-MAD. I’m a bit surprised - grudging respect - they got round to updating the parameters and IT to collect YQ on your latter legs, unfortunately for you.

(If you were avoiding an outbound a stop in LON to sidestep APD, the £25 YQ means it would probably in fact be cheaper to stop; but you wouldn’t want to book separate lags if you aren’t stopping due to connection risk.)

flyertalker00156 Mar 4, 2019 7:06 pm

Have not redeemed BA Avios on a AA flight for a while, however when looking from NA to Europe, I find that they charge around ~$250 in taxes in economy (AA), also I see availability on AA site, however when I look at BA website availability is not there. Is this normal? Are BA hiding award availability?

BA6501 Mar 4, 2019 7:30 pm

Is the availability you see on AA "MilesAAver" availability or Anytime? BA only has access to the former.

flyertalker00156 Mar 5, 2019 4:23 am

It would be the milessaver since I know that is what is available to partners....for example 23/8 PHL-FCO available on AA but not on BA.

wiivile Mar 5, 2019 9:09 am

can i avoid BA fuel surcharges by starting my itinerary in Brazil? thinking of flying JFK-GIG-LHR-JFK... LHR-JFK has painful fuel surcharges, but if the itinerary starts in Brazil (booking JFK-GIG separately from GIG-LHR-JFK) does that eliminate fuel surcharges on the LHR-JFK leg?