Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your guide to the Executive Club, attaining status and earning Avios | 2019 edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your guide to the Executive Club, attaining status and earning Avios | 2019 edition

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2019, 4:13 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Gino Troian
Question RE: GUF2: does this upgrade only apply to one flight for two people? or round trip for two people?

Would I be able to use a GUF2 for a trip SFO-LHR-DOH booked in biz and upgrade to F on both SFO-LHR-DOH-LHR-SFO for 2 pax? or is it only 1 pax? Thanks
the GUF voucher applies to all BA flights in the booking subject to availability in the higher cabin. You need enough GUFs to cover all passengers on the booking, a GUF1 covers one passenger and a GUF2 covers 2.
Old May 27, 2019, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA

the GUF voucher applies to all BA flights in the booking subject to availability in the higher cabin. You need enough GUFs to cover all passengers on the booking, a GUF1 covers one passenger and a GUF2 covers 2.
thank you! this is insaneeeee
Old May 28, 2019, 4:33 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
Hi all,

I have a feeling this is a stupid question, but, having never booked a BA codeshare before I am not quite sure how it works. If I book an 'AA' flight but operated by BA with a BA flight number, will Avios and tier points automatically credit to my BA Executive club rather than anywhere else as long as my BA Executive Club number is listed? Or is there anything I need to do to ensure avios/tier points would credit to BA rather than AA?

Thanks,

GabrielExea
Old May 28, 2019, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by GabrielExea
If I book an 'AA' flight but operated by BA with a BA flight number, will Avios and tier points automatically credit to my BA Executive club rather than anywhere else as long as my BA Executive Club number is listed?
It's the same as if you were to book any other AA flight. You simply need to make sure that your BAEC number is the frequent flyer number listed in your booking. If it is, then the appropriate Avios and TPs should credit to your BAEC account whether the flight is actually operated by AA or BA.

However, don't forget that if an AA flight number is on your ticket, then the number of Avios earned will be those for an AA flight - even if the aircraft operating the flight is actually a BA aircraft.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 12:15 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Several of my own making in which I was recently fast-tracked to super-duper-über-elite status
Need some advice on whether it makes sense to create a second membership. I've been a United MP die hard for decades, but a recent move out of the Bay Area and United's move to dynamically priced awards has prompted me to start looking at flights on BA/Oneworld.

I currently have a BAEC membership with minimal Avios and tier points, but have some upcoming flights that, taken together, would get me to bronze. Trouble is they straddle my membership year (and probably wouldn't quite fit into the two-week grace period others have mentioned). Does it make sense to just sign up for a new BAEC membership so these flights are in the same membership year and get me bronze? New membership would have a different address (US) than the current one (UK), if that makes any difference. I've read in the BA FAQ's that combining duplicate memberships is possible. Just wondering whether I would run into any issues trying to create the second membership.

Any thoughts are welcome.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 11:58 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
Due to a long illness I was unable to travel for 18 months and so lost my BA Silver status. Now I’m back on my feet, does anyone have tips for quickly (but cost efficiently!) getting back to at least silver (and ideally gold) within the next six to nine months or so? I’d like to achieve it with as few trips as possible, so long-haul, multi-segment is fine!

Thanks!
Old Jun 2, 2019, 1:43 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by jcmurray
Due to a long illness I was unable to travel for 18 months and so lost my BA Silver status. Now I’m back on my feet, does anyone have tips for quickly (but cost efficiently!) getting back to at least silver (and ideally gold) within the next six to nine months or so? I’d like to achieve it with as few trips as possible, so long-haul, multi-segment is fine!

Thanks!
It might just be worth calling BAEC, they have been known to smile on the unfortunate.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 11:38 pm

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
Originally Posted by Prospero
02 Guide to earning Avios and Tier Points on partners, codeshares and partner codeshares

This is a little complex, so all the combinations are outlined as follows. There are two key concepts:
  • The flight number/prefix. This can be the airline operating the aircraft, e.g. the BA005 from LHR to NRT or that of a codesharing airline who sell seats on the BA005 as the JL7080. As far as earning goes, it is the flight prefix in your booking that determines the number of Avios you will earn.
  • The operating carrier (or metal). That is the airline who actually operate the aircraft. In the example above, that is BA.

Applying that, the following scenarios are possible:
  • BA prefix, BA operated flight
    You earn Avios and Tier Points for a BA flight as per ba.com
  • BA prefix, oneworld partner operated flight
    You earn Avios and Tier Points for a BA flight as per ba.com
  • BA prefix, BA codeshare partner operated flight
    Where the partner in this case means a non-oneworld member e.g. Meridian, some flyBe flights. You earn as per a BA flight.
  • BA partner airline prefix, BA partner operated flight

You earn as per BA flight but typically would receive Avios only and no Tier Points.
  • BA partner airline prefix, BA operated flight

You earn in accordance with the relevant partner table. However the flight does count towards a BA metal flight needed to obtain status.
  • BA partner airline prefix, non-BA partner operated flight
    As a general rule, these flights do not earn Avios or Tier Points. See QF prefix/EK operated exception below
  • oneworld partner prefix

You earn Avios and Tier Points in accordance to the relevant partner table. As an example, a Cathay Pacific (CX) flight will not earn you any status bonus and the class of service bonus is lower (25% for J, 50% for F). However, one exception to this rule exists with Finnair marketed, BA operated transatlantic services which earn Avios and Tier Points accordance with the BA earning table
  • oneworld partner prefix, oneworld partner operated flight
    You earn Avios and Tier Points as per the flight number you have bought. So if you bought a CX flight number on AA metal, you'd earn as per a CX flight.
  • oneworld partner prefix, non-oneworld operated flight
    For example, an AA flight number on HA. You earn nothing. The rule is that both the flight number and the operating carrier have to be in oneworld to earn. Some have successfully had Avios and Tier Points awarded in this instance but that is the exception and very much not the rule.
  • BA prefix, Vueling operated flight
    You earn Avios and Tier Points
  • QF prefix, non-oneworld operated flight
    Flights booked under the Qantas code (QF) operated by a non-oneworld airline will earn Avios and Tier Points in all applicable QF selling classes (see below) unless operated by Jetstar in a class other than L class.
I am a little confused with some of the bullet points when it comes to Oneworld versus BA partner airlines.

What about the situation of a 'Oneworld partner prefix, BA-partner (non-oneworld) operated flight', for example, a CX flight number on AS metal?

Is that equivalent to "BA partner airline prefix, BA partner operated flight" or to "oneworld partner prefix, non-oneworld operated flight" ?
The former and latter have different outcomes for the Avios collected.
Thanks
Old Jun 10, 2019, 2:14 pm

Hey Guys,

First time posting - please be gentle! I need 320 TPs within the next 3 weeks starting in Newcastle, UK. Does anyone have any suggestions on the best routes to maintain my silver status? I have a really tight budget of about £900 too - mission impossible?
Old Jun 12, 2019, 12:22 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
I made a stupid mistake in the Claim missing Avios > Claim Partner form.

I had 6 flights to submit from my multiple AUH-CGK run, and while I was filling the form for the 2nd leg - CMB-CGK - I put the wrong departure-destination, writing again AUH-CMB while all the other data (flight number, date, ticket number) were correct. Apparently I can't modify the submitted claim to correct the mistake, so what should I do at this point? Leave it as it is (they will sort it out anyway), write to BA, submit again...?

Thank you in advance
Old Jun 28, 2019, 10:19 am

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
Membership year ends - return to zero TP

Having a mental block here: Does your TP return to zero on the 8th or 9th of your year end? Is the 7th or 8th the last day of membership collection year?
Old Jun 28, 2019, 11:58 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

The 8th is the last day for TP collection so at 23:59:59 on the 8th you'll have X amount of TPs.

At the stroke of 00:00:00 on the 9th it will reset to zero.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 12:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
Thank you. I think I’ve flown right against the deadline before and although it took a couple of days to process, the TP from the 8th credited two days later for the 8th, and not the new TP year
Old Jun 30, 2019, 7:47 am

Programs: airmiles
Status year question

Hi, my Silver status year ends on 8th September. My card expires on 31st October

Does this mean I still have Silver status and benefits up to 31st October?

If I take a flight out before 8th September and return after 8th September does the return leg count for the new collecting year?

Thanks
Old Jun 30, 2019, 9:28 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Skyshare
Hi, my Silver status year ends on 8th September. My card expires on 31st October

Does this mean I still have Silver status and benefits up to 31st October?

If I take a flight out before 8th September and return after 8th September does the return leg count for the new collecting year?

Thanks
Your status lasts as long as the date on the card. Flights credit on the date on which they are scheduled to depart.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.