Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Sweet-talking your way into the CCR - unacceptable

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sweet-talking your way into the CCR - unacceptable

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2018, 11:42 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by simons1
Where do you draw line though?

For example would you say no redemptions or cheap upgrades should be allowed in F because you personally have paid £4.5K out of your own pocket for the same seat?

Indeed there are two sides to every argument.....you weren't deprived of your published benefits and what one person may see as unacceptable may be considered by others to be neither here nor there.
Where to draw the line? Simple, by restricting access solely to those who are entitled to use the lounge in question in accordance with their ticket or FF status.
endoman, Sealink, LochAwe and 2 others like this.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 11:56 am

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis
I think you may have just provided the stereotypical image of those who think being allowed into a lounge is something that should be reserved only for 'the right kind of people'. Thanks for the laugh.

If someone is good enough to 'blag' their way in, they sound like people I would enjoy meeting. That takes some real talent. Having status or paying for entry is something pretty much anyone can do quite easily. It's like someone who solos Mt. Everest vs. someone who just buys their way to the top as happens these days.
Some analogy.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK

Where to draw the line? Simple, by restricting access solely to those who are entitled to use the lounge in question in accordance with their ticket or FF status.
Indeed that is one solution. Personally I don't have an issue with agents using the occasional bit of judgment provided there is capacity and those who are entitled to be there due to ticket/status are not in some way deprived.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 1:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis
I think you may have just provided the stereotypical image of those who think being allowed into a lounge is something that should be reserved only for 'the right kind of people'. Thanks for the laugh.

If someone is good enough to 'blag' their way in, they sound like people I would enjoy meeting. That takes some real talent. Having status or paying for entry is something pretty much anyone can do quite easily. It's like someone who solos Mt. Everest vs. someone who just buys their way to the top as happens these days.
OT but wouldn't a mountain expert consider it foolish for even the most expert climber (and even someone who has already made it to the summit in previous years) to attempt to solo Mt Everest?
Old Dec 30, 2018, 1:54 pm

Programs: BA, JAL
Originally Posted by Killian_S
Just yesterday, two passengers in front of me (a young couple who were off somewhere to celebrate the New Year) managed to blag (a.k.a sweet-talk) their way into the Concorde Room. I witnessed the whole episode as they were directly in front of me

To my complete amazement, the dragon then said, "oh ok then, but don't tell anyone!". She typed a few things into the system and off they went.

.. I did feel that this was unfair on those who had either paid for their tickets (like me), redeemed F seats through miles or flew with BA so often that they were given such a privilege through the Concorde card. One of them was a blue member and the other didn't have any details on the boarding pass. I didn't complain (didn't see the point), but sadly did observe them putting their feet up on the seats and acting unbecoming of the place. I won't stereotype but I'm sure you can imagine (...think of the people who appear these reality shows).
People have in the past accused me of extrapolating.
All I would say is that this is consistent with what I have seen in and around BA lounges.
Same description of couple rubbishing BA CE ("why aren't we in business? oh because it's ****") on boarding and two minutes later they have sweet talked into business, first her then her partner.
These days I just burn avios and prefer business revenue tickets with others. That way I don't feel hard done by when I see these things.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 2:16 pm

Programs: KLM FB Gold, LH M&M
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Well said, Tobias.
First Class is exclusive, by it's very nature.
So the desk agent should have told the freeloaders to naff off!
RollAnotherFatOne likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 3:26 pm
amt

Programs: BA GGL & CCR
Rather nosey reading boarding passes over peoples shoulders, first class and no class this holiday season in the CCR it seems.
Bat 21 likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 10:50 pm

Programs: BA GGL, CCR - TK G
I would be happy for them... But if they put their feet up or disturb others.. I would quietly walk up to them and give them a nice explanation of common sense behavior .
Old Dec 30, 2018, 11:38 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
I confess to failing to see the problem here. So somebody is granted something that they are not, by the normal way of things, entitled to. How does that actually affect others in there that day any more that a hotel guest who is given a complimentary room upgrade or a birthday cake in a restaurant?

As is often the case, those who support hard and fast rule adherence only take that view when it is working in their favour.
Bat 21 likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 1:38 am

Programs: VS Flying Club (Gold), BA Exec Club (Silver), Hilton Honors (Diamond)
I find this really interesting as I am a “blagger” having recently blagged myway into the Seattle Delta Sky Club and a few years ago famously blagging an upgrade into Upper Class for a friend who was in premium, I myself was already in Upper! I’ve also been the recipient of numerous first class blags on trains across Europe and Eurostar.

So firstly, respect the class you are blagging into, don’t sit there and blatantly take the water, read the mood of the environment you’re in. In the case above the Skyclub was dead and very quiet, I sat in the corner with a glass of champers (purchased) a glass of rose wine a few cookies and flight radar 24. I cannot stand people who ruin other people’s enjoyment or peace and tranquility.

Then with regards to “entitlement” as a “blagger” you take the rough with the smooth, I’ve been told I can sell coal to Newcastle, well I am a Geordie, and to be fair I did in a former life sell loans to very rich people, but for every time you can use a bit of charm to grab a little cheeky empty seat in a first class coach, you get knocked back. Is it right? Well I think it’s subjective, do I get annoyed if someone else gets an upgrade and I paid or didn’t? Sure but it’s purely out of jealously and admiration for the other persons skill!
Old Dec 31, 2018, 1:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by ColOrd
I’ve also been the recipient of numerous first class blags on trains across Europe and Eurostar.
I doubt very much that you would be able to blag your way into the first class carriages of European trains, and in particular Eurostar, without a first class ticket or paying for the upgrade. It simply doesn't happen.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 1:59 am

Programs: VS Flying Club (Gold), BA Exec Club (Silver), Hilton Honors (Diamond)
I should preface that with the fact that I a holder of rail staff travel facilities which does make that blag much easier!
mtikky likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 12:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
OT but wouldn't a mountain expert consider it foolish for even the most expert climber (and even someone who has already made it to the summit in previous years) to attempt to solo Mt Everest?
Soloing anything is not about 'foolish'. You could as easily say that anyone who even attempts Everest is foolish. All such things are 'foolish' in someone's opinion. My point was the 'blagger' does it for the love of 'blagging'. Paying for it or being 'entitled' to it, is boring as anyone can do that. Of course it would be 'foolish' to attempt to solo Everest, but that doesn't mean someone wouldn't want to do it. You do realize it has been done don't you?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reinhold_Messner

The most famous quote in mountaineering history is probably that of Edmund HIllary who was the first to reach the top of Everest. When asked why he wanted to climb it, he reputedly replied, 'because it's there'. Some things are done simply for the achievement of having done them. Foolish or sensible have nothing to do with them.

There are really two issues here. One is why would someone try to 'blag' anything and the other is why someone would be annoyed by someone else getting some 'privilege' that they were not 'entitled' to. They are totally separate issues are they not?

Blagging is generally done for the fun of blagging but from the viewpoint of someone who thinks in terms of 'privileges', they can only see it as someone getting something they aren't 'entitled to'. The OP clearly sees it that way and doesn't appear to be able to simply admire someone else's 'blagging' skills for what they are.

It has been my experience that those most likely to get upset over 'privilege' are those who did not have it before. The OP mentions having lived in a 'council house' in the past. I can understand someone with that background feeling they have 'earned' a privilege and not liking it when someone who they see as not having 'earned' it, gets the same privileges. But that is seeing 'earned' in a very narrow way. The blagger simply 'earned' his entry in another way. The blagger probably didn't even care much about what 'privileges' he got. What's that saying about, 'it's the chase, not the catching that matters'

I don't generally try to 'blag' although I have on some occasions, but I do regularly 'negotiate'. There is little I enjoy more than 'negotiating' a better deal and especially for something that most people consider as being 'non-negotiable'. I suppose it comes from my background in sales. For me, everything is negotiable. I don't negotiate to 'save money', that may be the end result but it is the fun of the negotiating that I enjoy. It's like a match of wits and skill with words, some you win and some you lose but regardless of the outcome, the fun is in the trying, 'because it's there'.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Blueboys999
I confess to failing to see the problem here. So somebody is granted something that they are not, by the normal way of things, entitled to. How does that actually affect others in there that day any more that a hotel guest who is given a complimentary room upgrade or a birthday cake in a restaurant?

As is often the case, those who support hard and fast rule adherence only take that view when it is working in their favour.
The issue here is not per se that they were granted access to the CCR when they didn't actually qualify for it but their behaviour once they were in - playing music over phone speakers, dirty shoes on chairs etc etc

That is what really affects others when others behave badly and especially when they know they have been done a huge favour in the first place.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 12:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Misco60
I doubt very much that you would be able to blag your way into the first class carriages of European trains, and in particular Eurostar, without a first class ticket or paying for the upgrade. It simply doesn't happen.
MIsco, don't assume that because you don't think something can be done, that it can't be done by someone.

Suppose I go to Eurostar and tell them that I am a freelance travel writer doing articles on train journeys in Europe. I show them an impressive portfolio of articles I have written and that have been published in mainline magazines and websites, like Conde Naste, National Geographic Traveller, etc. Then I tell them I would like to write a feature article on the Eurostar first class experience on their London to Paris train and I ask, 'would you be interested in letting me ride your train'?

What do you want to bet that there is not a good chance that they would let me? I would not have 'blagged' an upgrade to First, I would have 'blagged' it entirely for no cost at all.

Why would you want to call ColOrd a liar by saying, 'it simply doesn't happen', when you have no way of knowing what he is capable of and how he can do it? Your comment reflects YOUR abilities and inabilities, not someone else's.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.