Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Sweet-talking your way into the CCR - unacceptable

Old Dec 29, 18, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold; Surrey CCC

Just yesterday, two passengers in front of me (a young couple who were off somewhere to celebrate the New Year) managed to blag (a.k.a sweet-talk) their way into the Concorde Room. I witnessed the whole episode as they were directly in front of me - they came up the escalator (so not through the First wing). First the gatekeeper correctly said "you are in Club so you need to go to Galleries Lounge", but then they both started like they were trying to get in to Annabel's or something...(it happened to be one of their birthdays plus their wedding anniversary + let us try it out, we may pay for it in the future etc.) To my complete amazement, the dragon then said, "oh ok then, but don't tell anyone!". She typed a few things into the system and off they went.

Not wanting to be a scrooge or anything when we're in the holiday period, but I did feel that this was unfair on those who had either paid for their tickets (like me), redeemed F seats through miles or flew with BA so often that they were given such a privilege through the Concorde card. One of them was a blue member and the other didn't have any details on the boarding pass. I didn't complain (didn't see the point), but sadly did observe them putting their feet up on the seats and acting unbecoming of the place. I won't stereotype but I'm sure you can imagine (...think of the people who appear these reality shows).

I know that the gatekeepers are generally very strict around getting entry to the Concorde Room, maybe it was the time of the year!
Old Dec 29, 18, 1:09 pm

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
You are indeed the Grinch 😀

And I’d say what happens between passenger X and BA or its agents is only their business, not yours.
SK, IAN-UK, oliver2002 and 28 others like this.
Old Dec 29, 18, 1:09 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Did you manage to take any pictures of the offending couple? Did they drink copious amounts of LPGS? And what about eating their way through the menu.

I think it is essential we have the full facts here.
Old Dec 29, 18, 1:19 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Well as some of you know I'm ordinarily resident for tax purposes in the CCR, but I must admit I've not seen that before. Indeed I've certainly seen people try it on and being politely but firmly told "absolutely no way". The other tactic is to kind of mishear and react as if being asked for directions: "oh yes, you're nearly at the right place, just turn around and you see those escalators going up over there...." So yes, leaving aside the details here, I think this couple were extraordinarily lucky.

But standing back from that, it is amusing to see yet another example of why some people really, really want to get into the CCR, when there are plenty of people in this forum who give the impression it's sub-par to the Cathay lounge. Now I disagree with that view, while accepting that CX First is nevertheless a fine lounge which we are lucky to have in LHR, but I'm quite sure the lovely Cathay agents aren't put under anything like this sort of pressure.
Old Dec 29, 18, 1:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold
1) You have a very valid point however...
2) You need to choose your fights and stop worrying so much about things that really doesn't affect you!

Move on, NEXT!
GadgetGal, kosy91 and chrisboote like this.
Old Dec 29, 18, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Takiteasy View Post
You are indeed the Grinch 😀

And I’d say what happens between passenger X and BA or its agents is only their business, not yours.
I didn't say it was my business and as I said in my initial post, I didn't complain. Just thought it was unusual that people could be allowed in without having the correct qualifications.
Old Dec 29, 18, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by madfish View Post
Did you manage to take any pictures of the offending couple? Did they drink copious amounts of LPGS? And what about eating their way through the menu.

I think it is essential we have the full facts here.
Full facts? No I didn't take any pictures as that would have been an unnecessary escalation. I detect a hint of sarcasm in your message, but some examples are as follows:
- Playing music on speaker
- Feet on the seats with their muddy shoes on (and the stains were for all to see after)
- Being rude to Jamila
Old Dec 29, 18, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by Killian_S View Post
For this alone they should be burned at the stake.
Old Dec 29, 18, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
A double lounge upgrade blag...must practice my sweet-talking before my next T5 visit.
hessbo, umbyboy and ahmetdouas like this.
Old Dec 29, 18, 1:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Maybe they were cuter and younger than you.
Markie, IAN-UK, lhrpete and 13 others like this.
Old Dec 29, 18, 1:55 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post

.................................................. .....

But standing back from that, it is amusing to see yet another example of why some people really, really want to get into the CCR, when there are plenty of people in this forum who give the impression it's sub-par to the Cathay lounge. Now I disagree with that view, while accepting that CX First is nevertheless a fine lounge which we are lucky to have in LHR, but I'm quite sure the lovely Cathay agents aren't put under anything like this sort of pressure.
Oh come on c-w-s ..... let’s be fair now ! Confident, young, gift-of-the-gab couple blagging their way into a First Class lounge because it’s known as the most exclusive available at T5, with lots of quality free food & drink on offer* is not, in itself, some definitive endorsement of the lounge’s supreme desirability. Not really shock-horror headline news ! They strike me as the sort of individuals who would have tried exactly the same tactic at the Cathay First section, had their flight been departing T3, and if they were similarly ineligible.

*(I am reminded of the great quip by alter-ego comedy character Mrs Merton - aka Caroline Aherne - when chatting to Debbie McGee : “ What was it that first attracted you to the millionaire Paul Daniels ?”)

CCR is a great facility, but I am happy to declare myself amongst those more impressed by the top CX lounge at LHR than BA’s CCR ; and equally happy to agree that it’s all very subjective and a matter of personal taste. I also believe the gap becomes much wider when one considers other top tier home-base lounges offered by say EK at DXB, and CX at HKG. And, even though not a home-base, the QR lounge at T4 is - IMHO - superior to CCR.

All that aside, I’m not personally overly-troubled by this improper admission, but I did very much dislike hearing about the feet on seats by those involved. Mind you, that could just as easily happen, as we well know, where correctly-entitled lounge users are concerned.

Old Dec 29, 18, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I am shocked!

Blagging into the Holy of Holies? And into C-W-S second home to boot? Have they NO sense of what is right?

I demand access rights to Old Goldies on that premise!
Old Dec 29, 18, 2:05 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold; Le Club Accorhotels Plat; Marriott Gold
I’d say you should have question there with the “not so dragon” or their behaviour while inside or just forget about it. What’s the point of raising it here? Is there are a point in swinging your fists after the fight is over?
RJD1983 likes this.
Old Dec 29, 18, 2:10 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
You win some, you lose some. I see the OP's point as valid, especially as F flights are so much more expensive. I've personally not been in the CCR so cannot comment on the quality, but I guess this is not much different to someone asking for an upgrade at checkin. If you get lucky, hey ho. I've had some luck with op ups and similar. I've also been behind people asking for an upgrade, getting it and it being the last one available. Life goes on I guess.
RJD1983 likes this.
Old Dec 29, 18, 2:14 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Killian_S View Post
Full facts? No I didn't take any pictures as that would have been an unnecessary escalation. I detect a hint of sarcasm in your message, but some examples are as follows:
- Feet on the seats with their muddy shoes on (and the stains were for all to see after)
- Being rude to Jamila
No sarcasm. Just wanted to know more about their behaviour inside. Sound a thoroughly unpleasant couple based on what you have said.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: