Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Sweet-talking your way into the CCR - unacceptable

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sweet-talking your way into the CCR - unacceptable

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2018, 4:44 pm

Programs: Mucci, Diamond Status & on the Supreme Council des Conseillers, BA Ag, Bonvoy GFL/Plat, xVS Au
Originally Posted by TPRun

nah, I was on a BA ticket..... I’m good but not that good!
hehe. Should have a go. A Silver colleague of mine incredibly managed to blag his way into the BA IAD lounge despite flying VS, telling a sad tale of woe in how work had forced him to fly Virgin and he much preferred BA!
TPRun likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 4:50 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Nandos
Originally Posted by gliderpilot

hehe. Should have a go. A Silver colleague of mine incredibly managed to blag his way into the BA IAD lounge despite flying VS, telling a sad tale of woe in how work had forced him to fly Virgin and he much preferred BA!
killing with kindness and compliments can open so many doors - quite literally, for your colleague!
Old Dec 29, 2018, 4:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
I agree with your first point, but once in when they know they aren't supposed to be in, misbehaving is out of order, and they should be called out on it. I would have spoken to the person that allowed them in. If I didn't then I don't think it would be right for me to moan here if I wasn't motivated enough to comment at the time.
Now now, I fully support every FTer's right to moan about things on FT!
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 5:02 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by adrianlondon
Good. Keep the riff-raff out of the Galleries lounges.
Hmm .......

Could explain the new sign I spotted in Galleries just last week :

It is expected that all Galleries Club and First lounge users, and their guests, will maintain appropriate standards of behaviour & etiquette at all times. Anyone found in breach of this requirement will be asked to leave Galleries, and instead await their flight departure in the nearby Concorde Room”

Old Dec 29, 2018, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by subject2load

...*(I am reminded of the great quip by alter-ego comedy character Mrs Merton - aka Caroline Aherne - when chatting to Debbie McGee : “ What was it that first attracted you to the millionaire Paul Daniels ?”)...
It is worth adding that Debbie McGee handled this amusing quip with great grace and charm at the time, despite it being untrue. Debbie McGee was a successful performer in her own right, having trained at the Royal Ballet School after winning an audition at 16. She actually met and stated working with Daniels before his wealth and fame, and before their great TV success.

At a desperate attempt to drag this back on topic, I don't recall reading any sightings of her in the CCR over on the celebs thread!
Old Dec 29, 2018, 5:06 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by Killian_S
I didn't complain
...except on here, where it makes even less of a difference.

I won't stereotype but
...have proceeded to do so, regardless.

A large number of this forum are practised chancers, whether its impulsively booking suspiciously cheap QR J fares, or being crafty with ex-EU travel to accrue the most tier points, so I doubt you'll garner much sympathy by criticising these two, when it merely appears that they absolutely nailed it, in blagging terms, this time around. I agree that playing music on a speaker or muddying up the sofas is despicable, but talking their way into the CCR on a J ticket? Bravo.
OldFruity and HLCinCOU like this.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 5:12 pm

@ Flexible preferences - yes, she did handle it well. She is a real sweetie (as well as being talented), and her reaction contributed to the exchange acquiring notoriety as a special ‘TV moment
Old Dec 29, 2018, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
You should have said something right there. Ask if your sister can come in next week when she's in coach.

Unbelievable that this even worked.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 5:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by subject2load

A good few years to practice then, HIDDY
In the real world it could be tomorrow for all you know.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by HIDDY
In the real world it could be tomorrow for all you know.
Yep, could be.

Then again ......... in the real world, I bet it isn’t
Old Dec 29, 2018, 6:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
HIDDY doesn't seem to travel very far at all from his ranch. (Despite trying repeatedly, I've never managed to sight him in Buenos Aires, which is a lot closer than LHR.) I guess he's afraid that he'd miss the cattle too much, since he can't take them on BA as ESAs nor have any chance whatsoever in sweet talking the dragons to let them all into the CCR.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by IAMORGAN

Can’t blame them for trying - if you don’t ask you don’t get. I know they had something they weren’t entitled to but it wasn’t like the OP was turned away due to a full lounge or anything like that.
And, let's face it, an awful lot of chatter within these threads is about gaining benefits that are on the very edge, or some distance beyond the edge of entitlement.

Sort of reverse serendipitous that the interlopers had muddy shoes they proceeded to place on sofas. Nicely supports the OP's unhappiness at their admission though.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 8:48 pm

​​​​​​congrats to the OP - beautiful LARPing!
Old Dec 29, 2018, 9:01 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Can’t say I notice anyone playing music on speakers today (or yesterday I guess Uk time) in the CCR; I personally find it much more enjoyable not to worry about what others do, but clearly the OP took great pains to observe the lucky couple, inspecting the sofa after and all.

if they were affecting your enjoyment by all means complain to the staff.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 2:40 am

Just yesterday, two passengers in front of me (a young couple who were off somewhere to celebrate the New Year) managed to blag (a.k.a sweet-talk) their way into the Concorde Room. I witnessed the whole episode as they were directly in front of me - they came up the escalator (so not through the First wing). First the gatekeeper correctly said "you are in Club so you need to go to Galleries Lounge", but then they both started like they were trying to get in to Annabel's or something...(it happened to be one of their birthdays plus their wedding anniversary + let us try it out, we may pay for it in the future etc.) To my complete amazement, the dragon then said, "oh ok then, but don't tell anyone!". She typed a few things into the system and off they went.

Not wanting to be a scrooge or anything when we're in the holiday period, but I did feel that this was unfair on those who had either paid for their tickets (like me), redeemed F seats through miles or flew with BA so often that they were given such a privilege through the Concorde card. One of them was a blue member and the other didn't have any details on the boarding pass. I didn't complain (didn't see the point), but sadly did observe them putting their feet up on the seats and acting unbecoming of the place. I won't stereotype but I'm sure you can imagine (...think of the people who appear these reality shows).

I know that the gatekeepers are generally very strict around getting entry to the Concorde Room, maybe it was the time of the year!
I’m with you on this. The rules are the rules, and they must be enforced, otherwise the bending of the rules devalues, in this case, the value of a First ticket or a CCR card (part of the benefit of which is exclusivity). I can understand op-ups when a plane is overbooked, or giving an unqualified person CCR lounge access when BA thinks they have something to gain
from it, but by the sounds of it, here there was no need to give this couple access - the attendant just went weak. The rules have to be applied consistently for fairness and maintenance of the brand, it’s that simple to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.