Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Leeds Bradford has group boarding

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2018, 6:06 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by kanderson1965
bacon rolls
Bacon rolls? Wheear 'ast tha bin? You were lucky there, what luxury! The rest of us have to suck on a piece of cloth, given the other domestic lounges.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 6:58 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Bacon rolls? Wheear 'ast tha bin? You were lucky there, what luxury! The rest of us have to suck on a piece of cloth, given the other domestic lounges.
We had very nice large pork pies on Christmas Eve, along with pigs in blankets, stuffing, and chicken
Old Dec 28, 2018, 1:00 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by KARFA
We had very nice large pork pies on Christmas Eve, along with pigs in blankets, stuffing, and chicken
Same offering on the 27th too.
KARFA likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by S_W_S
Same offering on the 27th too.
Not for breakfast.

I was told on the 27th that the bacon rolls are now by request only. The gin that started as slingsby with fever tree is now gordons with britvic. They have put some more sockets in the middle tables but still not enough. When I complained about the 3 sockets previously they said it wasn't meant to be a business lounge-despite there being a large banner at the entrance advertising it as a business lounge. Very poor compared to the old lounge.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 1:22 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Barnaby100
Not for breakfast.

I was told on the 27th that the bacon rolls are now by request only. The gin that started as slingsby with fever tree is now gordons with britvic. They have put some more sockets in the middle tables but still not enough. When I complained about the 3 sockets previously they said it wasn't meant to be a business lounge-despite there being a large banner at the entrance advertising it as a business lounge. Very poor compared to the old lounge.
Long term I do not see this is going to be an issue, as I doubt LBA will be on the BA route map beyond 2020. I suspect that in the medium to long term only the Scottish domestic services will survive.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 2:16 am
Original Poster

The lounge is even worse today. Only 1 of the 3 lounges are open and it is crowded with families, pre-flight drinkers. All socket seat are occupied (although no-one is using the plugs).
Old Jan 4, 2019, 2:28 am

Programs: BAEC

Long term I do not see this is going to be an issue, as I doubt LBA will be on the BA route map beyond 2020. I suspect that in the medium to long term only the Scottish domestic services will survive.
Are you basing your comment on fact or speculation? What about NCL - will those flights go too?
Old Jan 4, 2019, 3:50 am
Original Poster

Well I must be the lucky one, it is on again today. Gp 1 and 5. They now have signs. They loaded the 1and 5 queue first.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by babats
Are you basing your comment on fact or speculation? What about NCL - will those flights go too?
Pure speculation based on BA’s standard MO of reducing flights until the patronage dies away. LBA is already down to a single rotation on some days, MAN is much reduced fron S19. With regard to NCL, I suspect it will linger on for a few more years and will probably be the last English outpost.. The problem I see is thst BA are wanting LH expansion and the slots for this have to come from somewhere.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 6:16 pm
ECR

Pure speculation based on BA’s standard MO of reducing flights until the patronage dies away. LBA is already down to a single rotation on some days, MAN is much reduced fron S19. With regard to NCL, I suspect it will linger on for a few more years and will probably be the last English outpost.. The problem I see is thst BA are wanting LH expansion and the slots for this have to come from somewhere.
Prior to BA launching the LBA route a few years ago it was zero flights to LHR. They didn't have to launch the route, and the fact they have kept it going at some level suggests they must see some value in it.

They do in recent years appear to have reduced rotations on the non-Scottish domestics (BHD, LBA, MAN, NCL), but it would be a brave decision to axe them completely as there appears to be quite a bit of traffic on the domestics providing feed to long haul. Cut off the access and many of these passengers will travel direct on rival airlines or connect elsewhere (e.g. Amsterdam) on rival airlines, and as a result reduce the passengers for BA long haul.

If those in the regions are no longer flying BA, they will have little incentive to collect avios, so revenue streams to IAG from the sale of avios to credit cards, Tesco etc will be reduced.
navylad likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 6:23 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
In addition when (hopefully) the third runway comes to LHR, part of the proposal to get approval was to increase the number of domestic slots, perhaps even in the medium term BA is positioning to be able to get some of these domestic only slots.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 4:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Hilton Gold, Nordic Choice Gold
No group boarding on the LBA-LHR flight - we used gate 4. Not a major problem as there are only 95 pax on the plane.

Tried the new lounge at LBA for the first time, better food than before and a view of the planes too!
Old Jan 7, 2019, 4:39 am

Originally Posted by navylad
In addition when (hopefully) the third runway comes to LHR, part of the proposal to get approval was to increase the number of domestic slots, perhaps even in the medium term BA is positioning to be able to get some of these domestic only slots.
There is probably more than an element of truth in this, the problem may however lie if the commercial pressure for additional LH slots needs to be satisfied before the third runway is completed. It was mooted on here several times after the BMI takeover that the LBA route was just a slot sitting exercise which seems to be partially true as the LBA rotations have decreased as new LH destinations have been introduced,
Old Jan 7, 2019, 6:26 am

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Hilton Gold, Nordic Choice Gold

There is probably more than an element of truth in this, the problem may however lie if the commercial pressure for additional LH slots needs to be satisfied before the third runway is completed. It was mooted on here several times after the BMI takeover that the LBA route was just a slot sitting exercise which seems to be partially true as the LBA rotations have decreased as new LH destinations have been introduced,
Compare BA's UK route network ex LHR with KLM's ex AMS. KLM make a success of getting feed from secondary/tertiary UK airports such as LBA, MME, HUY, NWI, CWL etc as they have a large fleet of Embraer 175/190 planes which hold 92/104 pax each. BA are at a hugely slot constrained airport so operate bigger planes which seemingly cannot be filled at an acceptable yield on UK domestics apart from MAN, EDI, GLA, NCL, BHD, ABZ and JER (plus INV with the lack of APD).

If the 3rd runway ever happens, BA will probably have to buy some more smaller planes if they intend to launch additional domestic routes. However, as the union agreement seems to prevent Cityflyer landing at LHR/LGW (except in certain circumstances), is it ever reasonable to expect a shiny fleet of BA Embraers parked outside Terminal 5?
Old Jan 16, 2019, 4:01 am

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald), TK Elite (*A Gold)
Like @Barnabie100 reported, today’s BA1347 was from gate 3 but with the priority lane reserved for groups 1 & 5. 2, 3 and 4 were put along the window and boarded last. How does that make sense?!

The lounge was lovely though. Staff so friendly, proactively walking round asking if I wanted a hot bacon roll and keeping everywhere clean!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.