Wiki Posts
Search

Dropping last leg of itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2018, 4:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by snaxmuppet
I see what you mean but the savings are often not "a little". Take my trip for example... I started off just pricing up LHR-LAX return... it was £1,700 in Y for the whole of January!!! Going to DUB first brings that down to just under £400. That is a ridiculous saving and worth making the jump to DUB IMO.

I have to be honest... it makes me a bit cross that this is how they price up air tickets. It just does not make sense to add flights and it cost less... not to mention the climate impact. I would like to see it simplified and all fares one-way with each sector priced individually and the sectors in your itinerary simply summed. The idea that a return is cheaper for the airline and hence cheaper for the customer doesn't ring true for me. It is an old-fashioned way of looking at it IMO. In my simple world if I fly, I use fuel and airline resources so it shouldn't be cheaper for me to use more of those resources... but perhaps I should save further discussion on that for another thread
That is because LON and DUB are different markets. Vendors of services, including air carriers, cannot price their products based on cost + a percentage profit. Rather, they have to look at the market. If BA could not sell some number of £1,700 tickets, it would not be able to sell others at £400 and depending on how many fewer tickets it could sell, it would either have to cut frequencies or aircraft size.

All of this said, I am certain that BA would love to do what carriers, including BA, do elsewhere in the world. That would be to only sell DUB fares to ROI residents, However, EU law would prohibit that and you are able to take advantage of DUB pricing as a UK resident. Maybe for not much longer.
GCab and etiene like this.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 4:09 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, Hilton Diamond, Marriott GOLD, Accor Club Gold
I have actually been discreetly encouraged to do it sometimes by call centre staff in Manchester or Newcastle!
Old Dec 26, 2018, 6:38 pm

I've lost count of the number of the times I've done this, never an issue except not getting the tier points on the last segment
Old Dec 27, 2018, 9:23 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It is neither unlawful nor a violation of your COC to book a so-called xEU routing. It is simply a likely unintended benefit of EU pricing and competition law.

The sole issue arises as to what might happens if one intentionally does not fly the final segment. That is a horse which has been beaten to death and then resurrected and beaten to death again, and again, and again...., making it not worth further discussion here,
adrianlondon and dougzz like this.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
... making it not worth further discussion here,
... and yet here I am asking so perhaps it is worthy of further discussion.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 2:13 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
You wouldn’t be here if there wasn’t an element of doubt. As people have said there’s a whole lot could happen and one day that person that does it once will have their status cancelled and membership/Avios terminated.

You also better hope there are no irrops on the day the day of your return flight as they could route you LAX-CLT-DUB to get you to your final destination as quickly as possible
snaxmuppet likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
... and yet here I am asking so perhaps it is worthy of further discussion.
Yet nothing in thread hasn’t already been said in the dozens of threads asking exactly the same question!
KeaneJohn likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 2:35 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, UA Mileage Plus, Hotels.com Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Pizza Express Gold
All of this said, I am certain that BA would love to do what carriers, including BA, do elsewhere in the world. That would be to only sell DUB fares to ROI residents, However, EU law would prohibit that and you are able to take advantage of DUB pricing as a UK resident. Maybe for not much longer.
Just out of interest where do BA do this? I've encountered it with domestic flights in Thailand and South America (though booking in Spanish was sufficient to get cheaper flights in Chile!), but not anywhere long haul.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 3:06 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
There is a global market for global air transport. This year I have purchased tickets on many carriers with points of origin as widely varied as LAX, FAO, MUC, LON, ICN, PVG and BKK. Someof those tickets were one way and some round trip. Laws of many countries, not just the EU and UK prohibit any kind of discrimination in sales of tickets to non-citizens or non-residents. If an airline publishes a fare then I see no reason why they should wish to prohibit anybody from purchasing it.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 4:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
I remember changing the country from UK to NZ on Air New Zealand’s website almost halved the cost of a set of domestic flights!
Old Dec 29, 2018, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear

Yet nothing in thread hasn’t already been said in the dozens of threads asking exactly the same question!
May be but may be it wasn't said in a way that I fully understood or had confidence in. Either way, I felt it worth asking again. Sorry if that upsets you
Old Dec 29, 2018, 9:56 am

Programs: BA Gold
May be but may be it wasn't said in a way that I fully understood or had confidence in. Either way, I felt it worth asking again. Sorry if that upsets you
I don’t know it upsets anyone. But if you really mean that you failed to understand what’s been said before, or don’t have confidence in what or how it was said, then just prompting for more of the same is not really going to help you.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 9:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by omk298
Just out of interest where do BA do this? I've encountered it with domestic flights in Thailand and South America (though booking in Spanish was sufficient to get cheaper flights in Chile!), but not anywhere long haul.
Back in the day there were VUSA ( Visit USA ) fares available to non US residents travelling on certain airlines that would have entitled you to significant.y discounted fares on US legacy carriers. You needed a transatlantic ticket before you could purchase the VUSA fare and it had to be conjunction. I think this means the TATL ticket number needed to be put in the remarks box on the paper ticket.

If if I recall Delta had a 30 day unlimited travel pass for £299. I was lucky to snag a $59 return from DFW-ABQ-PHX-SAN-LAX on Piedmont which morphed into USAir. I remember taking my shiny silver Landon British Airways paper ticket issued at the Regent Street Travel shop to the Piedmont City Ticket Office which was in a Road between aregent Street and Hanover Square. .
Old Jan 4, 2019, 6:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dougzz

I don’t know it upsets anyone. But if you really mean that you failed to understand what’s been said before, or don’t have confidence in what or how it was said, then just prompting for more of the same is not really going to help you.
That was my point of posting... not to get more of the same... I needed more explanation. If all you wanted to do is re-iterate what had been said before then that wasn't going to help.

Anyway, I have had it explained better now so all is well... thanks for everyone's help
Old Jan 4, 2019, 6:44 am

Programs: BAEC
That was my point of posting... not to get more of the same... I needed more explanation. If all you wanted to do is re-iterate what had been said before then that wasn't going to help.

Anyway, I have had it explained better now so all is well... thanks for everyone's help
I'm with dougzz on this one - I haven't seen anything on this thread which hasn't been explained in exactly the same language (countless times) previously.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.