Wiki Posts
Search

Easy Silver

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2018, 6:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
Easy Silver

As a leisure traveler, with an average only 10-15 flights a year, I hadn't realized the world of airline status was available to me. In June of this year, I saw an Instagram post relating to seat upgrades, which lead me to google and onto FT.

I wanted to thank everyone here for their help and advice.

Merry Christmas / Happy Holidays.

J
Old Dec 24, 2018, 6:50 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
👍

FT and a bargain QR trip got me to Silver. It’s amazing what a little knowledge can do. Pre-FT I had assumed that status was only really achievable for the weekly commuter types.

I’ll add my thanks to all on FT and wish you a merry Christmas.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 7:21 am

I’m an “easy silver” too, clocking a bit over 600 TPs for a few years on leisure flights. Can I plunder the collective expertise of this forum on how to be an “easy gold”? No marks for “fly a lot in premium cabins” but Extra marks for highly inventive RTW itineraries :-)
FrogTastic and george77300 like this.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by wyddfa
I’m an “easy silver” too, clocking a bit over 600 TPs for a few years on leisure flights. Can I plunder the collective expertise of this forum on how to be an “easy gold”? No marks for “fly a lot in premium cabins” but Extra marks for highly inventive RTW itineraries :-)
The not very helpful answer is get 35000 tier points. Otherwise its Tier Point runs, creative routings and FT do's
Markie likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 11:25 am

This year I timed getting silver within a month of my tier point year starting by taking 2 leisure trips that I discovered on this forum.

I did INV-LHR-ORD-BOS-JFK-LHR-INV in J, to visit Chicago and Boston for holidays around baseball with the BOS-JFK leg to get me to 440tp.

I then did EDI-LHR-LUX--LHR-LUX for the weekend to see the UNESCO world heritage site in trier for the remaining 160tp

Both were booked as holidays through BA and I would value the flight elements c£1400 so.under £2.50 per to.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 11:33 am
Suspended

In case others are reading, I found 600 tier points really difficult to attain and spent over £3000 getting there, but it’s well worth it.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by richardwft
In case others are reading, I found 600 tier points really difficult to attain and spent over £3000 getting there, but it’s well worth it.
Yes but considering I spent £1200 for 720TP (OTP-PHX) there are much cheaper ways of doing it.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 1:02 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by THEOBCMAN

Yes but considering I spent £1200 for 720TP (OTP-PHX) there are much cheaper ways of doing it.
If you spent £3000 on flights that you actually needed to take then your status cost nothing, or at most the difference between £3000 and the price of flights you would have otherwise taken.

Meanwhile most people doing the OTP-PHX run probably didn't really need to go to Bucharest or Phoenix.

I spent £2400 to get to Silver the first time, but the alternative would have been spending maybe £2300 for less convenient flights that would only get me to BA bronze (had it existed) and halfway to a Skyteam status. Or I could have flown all in economy for £1500 and got nothing.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Where are you based? I think silver cost me in the region of £1k, for travel I would normally be doing with other airlines.

Last edited by FrogTastic; Dec 25, 2018 at 5:42 am
Old Dec 25, 2018, 4:05 am

Programs: BAEC OW Gold/Emerald
I concur with FrogTastic in offering thanks to the FTers who have helped me reach the sweet spot of silver and travel in PE cabin as opposed to Y. My employer is Y only and so any difference has to be made up by me but being creative and using tips on here I have been able to maintain silver rather easily and cheaply... e.g. .I have a work trip to TSV (Australia) coming up. Employer agreed to reimburse me up to £1200 for trip. Managed to get trip in PE cabin for £1800 which includes an overnight hotel in Sydney. Could have hit silver in this one work trip alone for circa £600 cost to me on route LHR-JFK-LAX-SYD-BNE-TSV(10)-BNE-SYD-LAX-JFK-LHR which in TPs is 90+90+100+10+10+10+10+100+90+90= 600 TPs. Yes it is a longer route to down under on AA but hey!
Old Dec 25, 2018, 4:43 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, *A Silver, OW Emerald, HH Diamond, Karahi Express
Originally Posted by rapidex
The not very helpful answer is get 35000 tier points. Otherwise its Tier Point runs, creative routings and FT do's
Think you got your numbers wrong. BA Gold is at 1500 TP
wyddfa likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 5:10 am

Programs: BA Silver
I agree. Just in case others are reading. Its very difficult to achieve Silver.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 5:19 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
When I was on silver for several years in a row I always thought that Gold would be unachievable (I'm not one for lengthy and complex TP runs) but a slight uptick in my frequency of travel plus a few more long haul sectors and it became reality. If it's all on your own money then it will inevitably cost you a bit, but if you hit 600 reasonably quickly (say by beginning of the year), find some decent CE deals for a couple of weekends away (e.g VIE often not much more dear in CE than in ET) and then snag a good long haul CW deal for Easter, you're suddenly within touching distance of Gold....
Old Dec 25, 2018, 6:54 am

Originally posted by BAEC:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidex The not very helpful answer is get 35000 tier points. Otherwise its Tier Point runs, creative routings and FT do's
But 1500 is only for one Christmas, 35000 is for life.
george77300 and TTmex like this.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by BAEC

Lifetime gold is 35000 Tier Points, at which time renewal of gold is rather simple.
EDIwanderer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.