Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why pay for economy plus?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2018, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
Because many people don't think these things through and have convinced themselves that boarding earlier is better. It after all allows you to sit in your luxurious seat for longer.
But if you don't board early, you might not be able to board before the flight's scheduled departure time because there are too many before you in the queue, and then some inexperienced passengers might fear that the flight will leave you behind for failing to board on time. Also, everyone wants to stand in the aisle as soon as possible because this makes it quicker to disembark, even though the doors haven't opened yet. This looks funnier on trains where people might stand in the aisle as early as 10-15 minutes before the train arrives at the station.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 7:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by windowontheAside
I prefer boarding early even when I have no bags to stow. I'd rather be sat in my luxurious seat than hanging around on the jetway waiting for people to figure out row 47 isn't next to row 10.. or 11... or 12..
Until I got married I used to stay in the bar until the last minute before heading to the gate.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 11:21 pm

Programs: Ba Silver ( for now!)
Easyjet allow drop off of handbagage on all flights pre security so you can take liquids. £5 or free if your mobile contract is with three.

They say they priortise luggage and indeed each of the 4 times I have done it mine has come out first. Bear in mind they have no weight limit! I have a boat in Mallorca and take parts out so to say it is useful is an understatement !
Old Dec 24, 2018, 1:35 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier des Internautes Amables; BAEC
Originally Posted by windowontheAside
I prefer boarding early even when I have no bags to stow. I'd rather be sat in my luxurious seat than hanging around on the jetway waiting for people to figure out row 47 isn't next to row 10.. or 11... or 12..
Luxurious seat?? Clearly not a mainly-EU traveller
Old Dec 24, 2018, 2:12 am

Originally Posted by TheJayHatch
That was a nod to post 13
Old Dec 24, 2018, 2:51 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
Originally Posted by South London Bon Viveur
There's no way those HBO passengers who have been incentivised to check their bags for free also get them delivered first upon arrival. BA have consistently shown over many years that they are incapable of delivering priority tagged bags first.
exactly.

I was on yet another flight on Friday where they announced that those willing to check their bags would receive them back first and be able to board first - it does irk me as well. BUT as you say, that red priority tag does nothing on short-haul and we know that for sure, i.e. BA doesn't pay to have short-haul priority bags loaded or handled differently. So I think it's actually a bit disingenuous for the gate agent (though I don't think they would necessarily know) to promise something that cannot be delivered.

my bag, with a red priority label, hasn't been delivered yet a good 60 hours later......
Old Dec 24, 2018, 2:58 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
Originally Posted by South London Bon Viveur
There's no way those HBO passengers who have been incentivised to check their bags for free also get them delivered first upon arrival. BA have consistently shown over many years that they are incapable of delivering priority tagged bags first.
Maybe it's just might flight pattern (I mostly check LCY<->ZRH and infrequently transatlantically LHR<->JFK) but most of the time my bag comes out within the first 20 or so, and most of those coming out before are also similarly priority tagged.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 3:01 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
Originally Posted by abligh
Maybe it's just might flight pattern (I mostly check LHR<->ZRH and infrequently transatlantically to JFK) but most of the time my bag comes out within the first 20 or so, and most of those coming out before are also similarly priority tagged.
BA does have a reasonably functioning priority baggage system on long-haul - separate loading / containers for priority bags which should ensure they come out first. no such thing on short-haul so the order is random.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 3:02 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Originally Posted by abligh
Maybe it's just might flight pattern (I mostly check LCY<->ZRH and infrequently transatlantically LHR<->JFK) but most of the time my bag comes out within the first 20 or so, and most of those coming out before are also similarly priority tagged.
ZRH/GVA, and some US locations do well (in my experience) with priority luggage so you'd be right. I also have similar flying patterns and am happy with the tag's efficiency. Other people's experiences will differ.

As far as OP is concerned, I pay for economy plus for the luggage allowance, when I need more than a cabin luggage, and heck I even get two with status! But it can also be useful if I feel I could use a same day flight change.

Last edited by thebigben; Dec 24, 2018 at 3:07 am
Old Dec 24, 2018, 10:09 am

BA does have a reasonably functioning priority baggage system on long-haul - separate loading / containers for priority bags which should ensure they come out first. no such thing on short-haul so the order is random.
I suspect that the system may often be "last in, first out", based on order of arrival of the bag in the baggage system.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 6:23 am

Originally Posted by TheJayHatch
Didn't FR propose flying without access to a seat at some point? I think that access to a seat is a luxury in itself.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 3:14 am

Programs: BA Gold, Flyblue
No Economy Plus on LCY departing flights?

I cannot see 'Economy Plus' listed as a fare on LCY-EDI, only 'economy hand baggage' or 'economy baggage'. Does this mean that the ability to request a free same-day change of flights is not available on LCY. The LHR-EDI and the LGW-EDI does show 'economy' and 'economy plus' categories.

Can anyone advise if they have managed to do a same-day change on a LCY departing flight and what ticket type they used for that?
Old Jan 6, 2020, 3:18 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Nagolnagol
I cannot see 'Economy Plus' listed as a fare on LCY-EDI, only 'economy hand baggage' or 'economy baggage'. Does this mean that the ability to request a free same-day change of flights is not available on LCY. The LHR-EDI and the LGW-EDI does show 'economy' and 'economy plus' categories.

Can anyone advise if they have managed to do a same-day change on a LCY departing flight and what ticket type they used for that?
It probably has FCOD (to use the BA term for SDC). Generally speaking as you work through the booking screens, at some point the FCOD ability is mentioned in with all the verbiage. I have seen this before on BACF services but I've had no problem doing FCOD, and usually online too. The situation where it may not have FCOD is if booked via a non standard channel (OTA) or if the tickets are mixed with other sectors on the same day. It's only available on single or return flights, point to point.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 4:09 am

Note that free same day change is not actually mentioned as one of the features/benefits of Plus fares in the BA booking funnel anyway. It’s only when you get to the conditions page that you see it.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 4:15 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Once you select the flights and go on to page 2 it should show FCOD/SDC in the ticket conditions.

This is from an LCY-EDI one way in economy after selecting the "Economy (Checked baggage)" fare:

Nagolnagol likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.