FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Why pay for economy plus? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1947239-why-pay-economy-plus.html)

ttama Dec 23, 2018 11:41 am

Why pay for economy plus?

I do wonder why anyone woukd pay a higher price for ET with hold baggage allowance when they announce at the gate that passengers can put their carry on bags in the hold and will get priority boarding plus their luggage will be prioritised at the other end

ttama Dec 23, 2018 11:42 am

So basically those with the cheapest tickets are boarding with group 1 and their luggage will take precedence over mine

fruitcage Dec 23, 2018 11:45 am

Originally Posted by ttama (Post 30567766)
I do wonder why anyone woukd pay a higher price for ET with hold baggage allowance when they announce at the gate that passengers can put their carry on bags in the hold and will get priority boarding plus their luggage will be prioritised at the other end

because such an announcement cannot be predicted with any certainty?
because you plan on taking luggage far bigger than the hand baggage allowances so you could be charged to check it in?
because you plan on taking luggage containing sharps or liquids, and so won't get as far as the gate?

ttama Dec 23, 2018 11:51 am

Originally Posted by fruitcage (Post 30567782)
because such an announcement cannot be predicted with any certainty?
because you plan on taking luggage far bigger than the hand baggage allowances so you could be charged to check it in?
because you plan on taking luggage containing sharps or liquids, and so won't get as far as the gate?

Fair enough. But I won't be doing it again. I'll be joining the large carry-on crowd and potentially jumping the queue.

LCY8737 Dec 23, 2018 11:57 am

Originally Posted by ttama (Post 30567811)
Fair enough. But I won't be doing it again. I'll be joining the large carry-on crowd and potentially jumping the queue.

If you can manage the size restrictions, then indeed, you would be stupid not to.

mda03jb Dec 23, 2018 11:59 am

Or you want to benefit from same day change which is often the reason I book a plus fare despite having no intention or desire to check a bag at any point in proceedings.

corporate-wage-slave Dec 23, 2018 12:10 pm

The SDC and (for non status passengers) earlier seat selection is not be overlooked, but seeing you sound a bit irked here, let's also look at the broader picture: you are less likely to be held up on departure and you will get to your arrival point at least as soon as expected, and be able to to disembark just that little bit quicker too, since people won't be trying to reassemble their bags in the aisle. Gate agents don't do this just to wind you up, it's to ensure the smooth departure for all passengers with the least stress for all concerned. If the aircraft is half empty this offer won't apply anyway.

And the idea these HBO passengers will get their bags prioritised at arrival is surely heading towards urban myth territory in my view.

UKtravelbear Dec 23, 2018 12:19 pm

This wasn't offered on my last few flights as they weren't full.

I did over hear one irked couple muttering that because BA hadn't needed to offer the service that they had to wait for their normal boarding group!

CloudGazer Dec 23, 2018 12:49 pm

The same day change makes it a no brainer for me every time for any trip without a very structured itinerary. It's been useful on many trips and saved my bacon when I got stuck on the M25 once!

Gig103 Dec 23, 2018 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by ttama (Post 30567811)

Once you are divested of your carry on luggage, why do you care about priority boarding? On flights with assigned seats, it's only the overhead space most of us care about. And also, I might be obstinate but if I've followed the restrictions on hand luggage and deal with security, by the time I'm at the gate I don't see an incentive to drop it off and wait for it on the other side.

HIDDY Dec 23, 2018 2:09 pm

Group 1 boarding isn't a lot of use to you with no cabin bag to stow. Could also be a pain if you have an aisle seat and your seat neighbours take a while to arrive.

Im a new user Dec 23, 2018 2:56 pm

Aren't there some situations where choosing Economy Plus over Economy Basic changes the booking class letter, thus potentially increasing your mileage credit? I think I've seen it at some point, but now I can't find any examples.

Often1 Dec 23, 2018 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by HIDDY (Post 30568227)
Group 1 boarding isn't a lot of use to you with no cabin bag to stow. Could also be a pain if you have an aisle seat and your seat neighbours take a while to arrive.

Because many people don't think these things through and have convinced themselves that boarding earlier is better. It after all allows you to sit in your luxurious seat for longer.:cool:

South London Bon Viveur Dec 23, 2018 3:11 pm

There's no way those HBO passengers who have been incentivised to check their bags for free also get them delivered first upon arrival. BA have consistently shown over many years that they are incapable of delivering priority tagged bags first.

windowontheAside Dec 23, 2018 3:12 pm

I prefer boarding early even when I have no bags to stow. I'd rather be sat in my luxurious seat than hanging around on the jetway waiting for people to figure out row 47 isn't next to row 10.. or 11... or 12..