Wiki Posts
Search

Two one ways or a return?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2018, 2:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Two one ways or a return?

I have just bagged a redemption in J LHR/DUR for early December, 2019. I will now wait for availability for the return in January, 2020. Should I be successful is there any merit in getting the ticket changed to a proper return or is there no difference?
Many thanks.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 2:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Two one ways are arguably better as you retain return flexibility, which you otherwise wouldn’t have within 24 hours of your outbound departure.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 2:46 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Check the taxes/fees, but if neutral than stick with two one ways
Old Dec 19, 2018, 2:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
If you need to amend / cancel - two one ways will be 2 x £35.00 is the only main negative I can think of
Old Dec 19, 2018, 2:48 am

Do dummy bookings (for other dates with availability) to see if there’s any difference in price between both options. IME it’s roughly the same for SA, but always worth checking.

If not using a 241, it makes little practical difference which you do. My preference is generally one ways for slightly more flexibility, although return means you only pay one cancellation fee if you want to cancel the whole thing. In the event of schedule changes, it would also be easier to rearrange both on a return rather than as separate bookings.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Many thanks to you all. I will keep them as singles then.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 2:55 am
Original Poster

Well, I am trying to bag the return flight in J now for early January whether through JNB or direct from DUR but nothing on offer apart from very expensive, Avios wise, partner airline offers. I know it’s a very busy time of year but my dates are very flexible. Even so there appears to be nothing in any class at all on BA from 30th December onwards. Have they all been bagged already do you think? Should I be on the iPad at midnight finger hovering? I thought it might be that they don’t like the single leg DUR/LHR. Even if I try for the full return there is nothing on offer on a BA flight apart from Qatar (BA out) on just one day and they wanted 530,000 Avios for that return! Would it be better to phone?
Thank you.

Last edited by Shingi; Jan 18, 2019 at 3:08 am Reason: Addidtion
Old Jan 18, 2019, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It’s a peak time of year to fly back from SA post holidays. You’ll need to stay up to midnight UK time and jump on availability when it appears.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 3:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
It’s a peak time of year to fly back from SA post holidays. You’ll need to stay up to midnight UK time and jump on availability when it appears.

Yes, I’d better, thanks. I’ll report back.

Last edited by Shingi; Jan 18, 2019 at 3:13 am Reason: Typo
Old Jan 18, 2019, 4:59 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
If you need to amend / cancel - two one ways will be 2 x £35.00 is the only main negative I can think of
The only other downside would be in a cancellation you would be able to move both th outward and return portions of the trip even if there is no availability. If one sector is cancelled whilst you would have the amendment fee to pay, it would be dependant on availability as to what you could change it to,
Shingi likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 5:18 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
You could check out check out return fares. I'm seeing £1,300ish J fares from AMS/BRU to CPT. JNB and DUR are more expensive at £1,500-1,600. If the return award is ridiculously expensive, that another solution to explore.

Edit: 12/02 - 12/30 CW AMS-CPT is £1,268. AMS-DUR on the same dates is £1,600.

Last edited by WorldLux; Jan 18, 2019 at 5:25 am
Old Jan 18, 2019, 5:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WorldLux
You could check out check out return fares. I'm seeing £1,300ish J fares from AMS/BRU to CPT. JNB and DUR are more expensive at £1,500-1,600. If the return award is ridiculously expensive, that another solution to explore.

Edit: 12/02 - 12/30 CW AMS-CPT is £1,268. AMS-DUR on the same dates is £1,600.
Thanks for that but I know I won't get my husband to agree to that routing as he always he wants to get there ASAP even though it saves so much money. For him it's the fag of doing the two extra EU stops. My plan B will be to get Emirates back via DXB and spend a couple of days there if we can't secure an AVIOS redemption. We go to SA once a year using either BA or Emirates and not always at Xmas, when it is much easier to secure redemptions on BA. My ideal routing would have been Emirates out because of timings and BA back, so it was kind of my intention to secure BA back and then cancel the outward for Emirates which I don't really like to do because it seems shabby. Just have to see how things play out.

Last edited by Shingi; Jan 18, 2019 at 5:46 am Reason: addition

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.