Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lgw to jfk

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2018, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Lgw to jfk

Why does this flight appear to get cancelled often?
Old Dec 16, 2018, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by DNA666
Why does this flight appear to get cancelled often?
Hi,

I suspect that with the heavy utilisation of aircraft at LGW if one goes tech then the LGW-JFK is one of the easiet routes to pull the aircraft from with minium disruptions to pax as they could be routed on one of the many LHR-JFK fights

Regards

TBS
Old Dec 16, 2018, 9:49 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Exactly this today. One 777 is stuck down route due to a volcano so they cancelled the JFK to free up a frame with pax dispersed on the various LHR Services.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Wonder if you get lucky enough to still go out the same day, booked on this route next year.
Slightly worried now , as only 1 a day!!
Old Dec 16, 2018, 11:22 am
Original Poster

WTP seats too.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I would imagine that it’ll be no problem getting everyone onto the BA and AA services same day.

To be honest I don’t see this route lasting too long
Old Dec 16, 2018, 12:38 pm

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
I would imagine that it’ll be no problem getting everyone onto the BA and AA services same day.

I would have thought there is some interesting potential for leisure destinations (JFK to Indian Ocean, Southern Europe). And of course, South East England.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 12:50 pm

When we were in the LGW lounge on Tuesday this was announced as cancelled and I said to Mr Jamie I’d never book it as a service; I’d always go via LHR given the level of LGW cancellations and the number of LHR alternatives. There were a few annoyed people in the lounge that day. It did appear they were being set to LHR; they dealt with HBO passengers first.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 1:34 pm

Nice little earner for the EU261 though.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 1:57 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT

From JFK relatively easy but a bit naff say if your car is at Gatwick. Depending on what time the cancellation is made/ at LGW or if you rock up at 1530 for a 1645 departure at Gatwick you are going to be pushing it to get one of the last departures from Heathrow.

I remember back in 1989 flying from LGW to JFK on a DC10 that stopped enroute in Manchester.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 6:11 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Originally Posted by rapidex
Nice little earner for the EU261 though.
Probably not, as there are sufficient services to re-accommodate most people and still get them there within 4 hours of their planned arrival time. Anyone they get out on the same day is likely to be less than 4 hours late.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by KeaneJohn

Depending on what time the cancellation is made/ at LGW or if you rock up at 1530 for a 1645 departure at Gatwick you are going to be pushing it to get one of the last departures from Heathrow.
If they cancel it at 1600 - they've still got three hours to get you round the M25 and onto the 183 with time to spare for a swift one before boarding.
mradey likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by A P Yu
If they cancel it at 1600 - they've still got three hours to get you round the M25 and onto the 183 with time to spare for a swift one before boarding.
Some of the passengers perhaps, but a majority would be spread onto other services
Old Dec 17, 2018, 6:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by A P Yu
Minimum time is 3hrs to get from one to another, then you have got to get your bags back, issue coach vouchers .. this would be quicker than waiting for transport which takes an age you need to rebook.

From LGW there’s most definitely going to be some people carried forward from JFK it’s undoubtedly easier but given the practacilaties of cancelling one of the other daily rotations JFK is by far the ‘easiest’ option.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 6:37 am

Some of the passengers perhaps, but a majority would be spread onto other services
Yes of course. I was responding to a point made about those about latecomers. In reality pax would have been re-accommodated on many of the late afternoon / early evening services.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.