Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award Seat Booking to US July/Aug. HELP!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2018, 6:17 am
Original Poster

Award Seat Booking to US July/Aug. HELP!

I wonder if anyone has any ideas on this. Wanting to travel to US this summer, looking to get to Southern California. 3 week stay that can start in early July. Need to be back in UK by about 5th Aug. 5 of us travelling, two adults three kids over 2/under 8. Have plenty of Avios and two 2-4-1's. Have about 200k Amex reward points.

Availability outbound with BA to SAN/LAX/PHX is non existent. Availability with IB is also non existent to LAX.

I could go through ORD with IB/BA but we are in EDI and don't want the journey to create a need for another holiday.

Don't mind using Avios for Economy or PE booking. Kids really don't notice the difference anyway, as long as they have a seat back screen (which means AA ex EDI could be an issue?!), they're happy.

I think I have exhausted my knowledge and was wondering if the FTers out there who know way more than me on this have any tips?

Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 6:58 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
If you're Gold you might consider a Gold Priority Reward (GPR). Expensive on the Avios but you should be able to find flights. You will not be able to use your 2-4-1 but if regular award space opens up you can cancel the GPR and book those instead.

If you're Gold and are prepared to travel in economy then I'd be surprised if there's no availability as there's normally reasonable additional availability in economy for Gold card holders.

If you're not Gold I think you may struggle as there is no easy answer especially when you're looking for 5 seats.

Good luck!
Old Dec 13, 2018, 7:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by RFT72
...Kids really don't notice the difference anyway, as long as they have a seat back screen (which means AA ex EDI could be an issue?!), they're happy.....
Could AA ex EDI with their own tablet computer be OK for the children?
Old Dec 13, 2018, 7:30 am

Programs: BAEC
Houston has availability for 5 In July (4th to 29th) appreciate this is 25 days not 21 but thats was in PE where applicable. Thats as far west as I could see in my brief search. I could see nothing out west for 5.

Edit: Just realised I had LHR as my starting point so the above may not work out)

Last edited by LBA_flyer; Dec 13, 2018 at 7:31 am Reason: clarification
Old Dec 13, 2018, 7:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by golfmad
If you're Gold
Thanks, but not gold . . . .
Old Dec 13, 2018, 7:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by richardwft

Could AA ex EDI with their own tablet computer be OK for the children?
Could do but pretty sure I checked availability and there wasn't any - will check again.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 7:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LBA_flyer
Houston has availability for 5 In July (4th to 29th) appreciate this is 25 days not 21 but thats was in PE where applicable. Thats as far west as I could see in my brief search. I could see nothing out west for 5.

Edit: Just realised I had LHR as my starting point so the above may not work out)
Could work if connections are ok, will have a look myself.

Thanks.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Have manged to find something that fits (I think!).

Thanks for your help!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.