Search

Not using last leg AMS-LHR-CPT flight?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2018, 12:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold
Not using last leg AMS-LHR-CPT flight?

Hi

I know what the practice is in theory, but in reality, if I take an AMS-LHR-CPT return but just don’t use the final LHR-AMS sector on the way back, what is the likelihood of BA not awarding me Avios and points for the AMS-LHR-CPT-LHR legs?

Thanks
Old Dec 13, 2018, 1:14 am

Chances small, I haven't seen it reported particularly as a one off.

However undoubtedly it's one of the 'sanctions' available to BA.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 1:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, *A Gold, Hertz President's Circle, HHonors Diamond
I wouldn’t worry about it.

Particularly if you don’t do it particularly often.

The Avios and TPs will post sequentially after each sector.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 1:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
You'll get "don't worry about it" and "you'll be chucked out of Exec Club" responses here in equal measure

Just don't do it too often and don't worry so much !
Old Dec 13, 2018, 2:15 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Whenderson
Hi

I know what the practice is in theory, but in reality, if I take an AMS-LHR-CPT return but just don’t use the final LHR-AMS sector on the way back, what is the likelihood of BA not awarding me Avios and points for the AMS-LHR-CPT-LHR legs?

Thanks
You should read this thread - Interesting Court Decision In Germany - Passenger does not need to fly last leg
Old Dec 13, 2018, 4:14 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by Whenderson
My experience is that the chance of them awarding you avios + tier points for the LHR-AMS leg you don't fly is much higher (i.e. non-zero probability) than the probability of them not awarding you avios for the segments you didn't fly (nearly zero probability).
Old Dec 13, 2018, 7:24 am

A friend once did an ex-DUB to the US and didn't complete the final LHR-DUB and still got the TPs and Avios for that segment. Lucky fella!
gnomeza likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by Muttley
A friend once did an ex-DUB to the US and didn't complete the final LHR-DUB and still got the TPs and Avios for that segment. Lucky fella!
I've had that.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by jerub
My experience is that the chance of them awarding you avios + tier points for the LHR-AMS leg you don't fly is much higher (i.e. non-zero probability) than the probability of them not awarding you avios for the segments you didn't fly (nearly zero probability).
Assume you mean ‘did fly’?
Old Dec 14, 2018, 9:03 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
Blah. Yes. Language is hard.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 9:04 am

Programs: BA Gold, Star Alliance Silver
BA tried to push back on me not checking a bag through to the final destination doing a similar return from the US.
I told them in no uncertain terms to clear off. Given this is the airline that lies to its customers about "upgrades" and "enhancements" and then loses all of our data.
argonath likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 9:45 am

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott PlatfL/Ambassador, TP Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by WingsAroundtheWorld
BA tried to push back on me not checking a bag through to the final destination doing a similar return from the US.
I told them in no uncertain terms to clear off. Given this is the airline that lies to its customers about "upgrades" and "enhancements" and then loses all of our data.
They were perfectly entitled to only check through your bag. If you let BA know that you intend to change your ticket without their permission, they can refuse to transport you until the ticket is repriced and you pay the difference.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 9:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, Amex Centurion, HH Diam
Best strategy re luggage is to just book the last leg with an overnight layover - and say you need your stuff at the hotel. No discussions needed.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 10:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You don't even need to degrade yourself with a lie. With an overnight, it is the passenger's option and all you need to do is opt for not checking your bag through.

A connection is anything up to 24 hours. With AMS, you should have no problem with an overnight

Nobody here can tell you that nothing will happen to you. But, the vast anecdotal reporting is that for the incidental hidden city ticket fraud, nothing happens. If you feel a sharp jab, pass out and wake up in AMS, please report back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.