Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can (and will) BA stop you flying?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2018, 4:05 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
Not sure for BA but Delta will deny you boarding if you don't bring the card. If I were you I'd call the bank and ask them to extend the expiration date of the card you have on you. It can be done at least Bank of America has done it for me in the past.

Delta flags my JFK to SDQ flights for credit card verification all the time hence why I have experience with them denying boarding to people. I have witnessed it.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 4:07 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Sorry I'd missed the fact you have the card that's expired. That is all you need. They don't check it's currently valid. Just the long number.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 4:42 pm

I booked a ticket many months in advance. In the meantime, my card expired and I got a new one delivered. I cut up and threw away the old one so didn't bring it on the trip with me. When I got to the airport, at check in they took me to one of the side counters (like customer service) and the agent spent 10-15mins on a phone with someone and finally let me travel - in pauses, the agent said that there should be no issues. But i never got any clarity as to what exactly they were looking for.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 6:29 pm

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by bisonrav
Booking a ticket from China with a UK credit card is going to raise suspicions. This is pretty much exactly what data breach fraudsters would do. ...
Indeed - before I managed to get a Chinese credit card I was asked pretty much every time I flew out of Beijing on a ticket booked directly with BA to show the UK credit card used for the payment. Maybe though I just look a bit shady

Actually I can relate 95% to the OP - whenever my UK credit card expires a new one is sent to the registered address of a close friend in the UK, who in return for supply of pickled bird's eye chilies sends me a scan/picture of the card and cover letter. In my case though the credit card number has always remained the same every time after renewal (only changed once when the card was cancelled due to fraudulent use).

I did once fly on a ticket booked using the new card, and just showed the old one at check-in (I didn't even mention not having the new card- but was prepared to explain it was in the UK and show a picture of the card and cover letter). The agent scanned the card and the computer said "yes" so we were all good.

Originally Posted by bisonrav
Sorry I'd missed the fact you have the card that's expired. That is all you need. They don't check it's currently valid. Just the long number.
In the OP's case though they booked using the new card (I think) - and the card number is only 95% the same to the old card (or at least 93.75% the same if just one digit out of 16 has changed ...). Not sure how that is going to play out. Can you ask the credit card company to send you a document stating that card with number XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX was replaced with a new card YYYY YYYY YYYY YYYY? A similar thing is requested by some airlines (RJ, I am looking at you ...) if you book with a card and this is replaced/renewed before the journey starts.

Last edited by GinFizz; Dec 12, 2018 at 6:38 pm
Old Dec 12, 2018, 7:15 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Gold
I've seen this happen on JetStar Asia at MNL. I believe fraud is one issue, but in my opinion it is also a security measure. If you know the Philippines, they go to great lengths to not let their people out of the country because they are afraid they won't come back (or take work and not pay taxes). They think it is really fishy if you show up at the ticket counter with a ticket not purchased by yourself, and especially by a foreigner. Could this person be taken advantage of by said foreigner. Lastly they have a requirement that you have to prove you have the financial capability to travel, which having the ticket paid for a person who isn't present causes them to highly question. It is a bit crazy to see.

Never had this occur anywhere else in the world, but nothing would be too amiss with an American using an American Credit Card from America, even for a foreign airline.

I know this isn't BA or at an airport BA serves, but I think still relevant.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 1:38 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
A photocopy or scan of the new credit card will be enough if the number on the old one has changed.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 1:55 am

Programs: Enrich
Before years 2010, SQ, MH, Continental always ask me to present my CC at check in for verification. If some one uses his/her CC to purchase for my ticket online, then there is a form (at least for SQ) required to be filled for verification purpose. This was for flight between KUL, SIN, JFK, LAX, EWR as departure point or destination.

These days I haven't seen it since the self check in has been introduced. But I believe because of the location in China, it definitely flag the fraud by the system
Old Dec 13, 2018, 2:32 am

Programs: BA Gold
The only time recently (perhaps 6 years ago) I've had to produce a card was flying LHR-MAD-ALC with IB and of course I did not have it (BA Amex) with me. Sent away to the ticketing desk where they basically said we need to buy new flights until my wife realised that she did have her companion card and the numbers are only a couple of digits different. That was good enough for them and hopefully an expired card with almost identical digits will suffice for the OP.

Never traveled without the payment card since and never been asked for it again either.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 10:14 am

Programs: Qatar, Turkish, Aeroflot
Yes. They did. My justification will basically see me get ripped apart by many users here, but hey, that's the way the cookie crumbles.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 10:20 am

Programs: BA Silver, SAA Voyager prog
Yes, I'm often told this when I fly from South Africa. Never a problem, as I always have it with me. It does mean I have to keep any expired cards until that flight is over.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 11:58 am

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
For reference, every email receipt from BA states

If the payment cardholder is travelling, you must bring the card used to pay for this booking to the airport with you, for verification, before you can travel.
So this was not a one-off targeted at the OP by a BA system.
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
One of my younger friends was forced to buy a new ticket (full walk up fare) a couple of years ago and seek reimbursement later. This was from the U.K. and her ticket had been bought by her mother whom she was going to visit. She’s avoided ba like plague ever since.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 1:52 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by Takiteasy

i’m not sure how i’ve managed it but my one and only current BA booking does not have this anywhere in the email. And you’d like to think it’s the sort of booking that would have alarm bells ringing all over the place (Australian card paying for a flight from South Africa to Spain!!)
Old Dec 13, 2018, 8:51 pm
Original Poster

Hi everyone

Thanks for all the replies and such.
Seems like it's a moot point now as my card is on the way to me finally.
Phew.... Hahah !!

One less thing to worry about I guess.

Although...... I might start a thread in the 'travel insurance' section soon.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by nancypants
Originally Posted by Takiteasy
If the payment cardholder is travelling, you must bring the card used to pay for this booking to the airport with you, for verification, before you can travel.
i’m not sure how i’ve managed it but my one and only current BA booking does not have this anywhere in the email.
I've had a look at all of the emails for our current bookings. The only emails on which this appears are for bookings which I have made using my card when I am a passenger (whether or not on my own). If I have booked for someone else, whether by phone or online, this note does not appear.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.