Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How are BA Reward Flights released?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2018, 6:13 am
Original Poster

How are BA Reward Flights released?

The 365 day flights must be released automatically by a system.

But I'm curious as to who exactly releases the flights otherwise?

For example, I've noticed that a lot of LHR->BKK in CW flights were released today for Christmas week.

If the decision maker is a human, I need to befriend them!
Old Dec 12, 2018, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
The 355 day release 2J and 4Y on every single flight will be automated for sure. I am interested also to know how the rest get chosen / released !
Old Dec 12, 2018, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Yes the initial allocation is automated.

Any further release is down to revenue management assessing each route and doing it manually.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Any further release is down to revenue management assessing each route and doing it manually.
I wouldn't suspect it's all manual. If it's like some other systems I know, it'll be mostly done algorithmically, with the pricing team able to manually intervene as needed.
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 6:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
As Ldnn1 suggests, it’s a mix of both.

For sure it will be a human that makes the decision - but on the basis of intelligent interpretation of auto-generated booking pattern data, both historic and current / trending.

Some of the knowledgeable FT souls can perhaps tell you a little about the rationale used (and for the most part it all comes down to fundamental commercial imperatives) ; but even BA ‘insiders’ here will acknowledge that yield and revenue management operations have never been simple. These are dark arts which will forever be something of a mystery, rather than a process that can be spelt out in black & white in a couple of sentences.

The same applies to cash pricing and fare buckets.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 6:54 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
BA uses sophisticated predictive software not much different than most major carriers. That software relies on hundreds of datapoints and may well shift over time.

There can be human intervention, but it is much less than in the past as the machine predictions tend to be, on balance, much more accurate than humans.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 7:12 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Platinum; Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by Often1
BA uses sophisticated predictive software not much different than most major carriers. That software relies on hundreds of datapoints and may well shift over time.

There can be human intervention, but it is much less than in the past as the machine predictions tend to be, on balance, much more accurate than humans.
So you're saying that asking a call centre agent to speak to Revenue Management won't automatically open an award seat for you?
Old Dec 12, 2018, 7:27 am

Programs: OW Saphire, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by Mordac
So you're saying that asking a call centre agent to speak to Revenue Management won't automatically open an award seat for you?
I tired that once. The Geordie on the other end of the phone spent about 10 minutes laughing...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.