Wiki Posts
Search

Trying to get best deal in J to Sydney

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2018, 3:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue.
Trying to get best deal in J to Sydney

I am looking to go to Sydney next October/November - hopefully in J. Probably leave in the last 2 weeks of October for 3 week trip.

They cheapest "deal" at the moment i can find is approx 2150 out of Oslo or Stockholm on Qatar which i quite fancy.

Is that a "good" price? We will be starting the trip in Edinburgh - any other options people have used/recommend?

Anyone know if these prices allow for a couple of days stop over?
Old Dec 9, 2018, 3:17 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH D, QFF, EB
Buying this far out you are unlikely to get the best prices. That price might come down to around 1800 but then prices have been higher in the last year. If you like the price nook it and don't compare prices at a later date.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 3:20 am

I am travelling on Qatar J at the end of this month to Oz. Out from Oslo and back into Stockholm. I also paid £2150 back in July.and if I get another chance at that fare next year when I go again I will jump at it!
Old Jan 1, 2019, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue.
Some (hopefully) last advice from people who have flown both Qatar and Singapore Airlines.

Singapore Airlines is currently 2,200 from Oslo to Melbourne (we had a change of plan about Sydney) - while Qatar is 2700.

I understand in the past Qatar sometimes have a sale in January - which has benefit of BA miles, BA status and only one stop in Doha.

Singapore is firstly to Copenhagen - then onwards with a stop in Singapore.

What would you do?
Old Jan 1, 2019, 9:23 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by blawson
Some (hopefully) last advice from people who have flown both Qatar and Singapore Airlines.

Singapore Airlines is currently 2,200 from Oslo to Melbourne (we had a change of plan about Sydney) - while Qatar is 2700.

I understand in the past Qatar sometimes have a sale in January - which has benefit of BA miles, BA status and only one stop in Doha.

What would you do?
I'd hold out and see what is in the various January airlines sales expected in January whilst keeping an eye on my back-up option.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 9:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Please take a look at the Premium Deals thread (Premium Fare Deals | 2019 edition), a deal was posted there today:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30594732-post2.html
DennisTan likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 11:18 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
Have you looked at Singapore Airlines out of Stockholm? Their fares from there are often very competitive. That said, IMO they have fallen far below Qatar for service these days.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 12:05 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by lhrpete
Have you looked at Singapore Airlines out of Stockholm? Their fares from there are often very competitive. That said, IMO they have fallen far below Qatar for service these days.

You’re not the first to comment on that comparison vs SQ.

Qatar are still pretty much the benchmark. And of course those Q-suites in J class really are special.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 10:53 pm

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
I have friends doing the ex-Oslo next month. They paid around £1900 last September. Can't recall if it was a sale period. They do spend time in Oslo before hand (1 or 2 nights), but then do the trip direct to SYD.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by blawson

What would you do?
What is the departure, transit & arrival times? Overall travel time?
DOH-MEL arrives at 18:45 (may be different later in the year)
QR has a good reputation.

Route--->Great Circle Mapper
Old Jan 2, 2019, 3:57 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
I'd go with SQ. QR is a pretty decent airline, but SQ is better.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 4:07 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by LCY8737
The certainly used to be.

These days I'm not so sure. QR loads are lower because of the embargo in the GCC, and I've found service levels have gotten better as a result.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 10:34 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
Originally Posted by LCY8737
It certainly used to be better but in the last quarter I had two returns LHR-SIN-SYD and as a LPPS member - highest and lifetime tier of their scheme I found it lacklustre and inflexible with robotic, disinterested service. After the first sector I thought I'd had a poor crew, after eight sectors I had to accept things had changed for the worse - much worse and future bookings are spread around a bit (CX, NH, QR mostly) to test the options but for me with almost 30 years of regular travel on SQ the mighty have well and truly fallen.
Dover2Golf likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 10:47 pm

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by lhrpete
It certainly used to be better but in the last quarter I had two returns LHR-SIN-SYD and as a LPPS member - highest and lifetime tier of their scheme I found it lacklustre and inflexible with robotic, disinterested service. After the first sector I thought I'd had a poor crew, after eight sectors I had to accept things had changed for the worse - much worse and future bookings are spread around a bit (CX, NH, QR mostly) to test the options but for me with almost 30 years of regular travel on SQ the mighty have well and truly fallen.
Would agree that SQ is not what it used to be, but at least you can be sure of an excellent hard product (where QR is a bit of a lottery). And the SQ crews are consistently good and experienced, whereas QR again is a bit of a lottery.
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 11:47 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
In January 2018 I was able to get OSL-MEL on QR (travelling in November 2018) for £1,450 return. There's no guarantee that there'll be a similar sale this year, of course, and in fact the gate agent at Doha on the return journey (who was aware of the appeal of that route for TP running) told me that I would be very unlikely ever to see such a fare again, but it's a benchmark.

At that fare, choosing QR is pretty much a no-brainer, although in my experience the very good hard product was undermined by robotic and obsequious service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.