Wiki Posts
Search

Callous time changes

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2018, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL, Hilton Diamond, Marriott GOLD, Accor Club Gold
Callous time changes

I'm on a work-related jaunt to Poland in the summer, and just had a time change notification of KRK/LHR on the day I'm due to come home, the flight moving four hours earlier. On a short haul flight served by only one flight a day, that's a hell of a change. As it happens, it is good news for me - but it could have been awful news, and probably will be to some travelers.

I know scheduling a large airline must be beyond amazingly complex... but this feels incredibly callous. I set my plans around this one daily flight from a non-capital city, and I could have been really screwed by the change, and I am sure some folk will be. Hm....
Old Dec 7, 2018, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by DominicB
I'm on a work-related jaunt to Poland in the summer, and just had a time change notification of KRK/LHR on the day I'm due to come home, the flight moving four hours earlier. On a short haul flight served by only one flight a day, that's a hell of a change. As it happens, it is good news for me - but it could have been awful news, and probably will be to some travelers.

I know scheduling a large airline must be beyond amazingly complex... but this feels incredibly callous. I set my plans around this one daily flight from a non-capital city, and I could have been really screwed by the change, and I am sure some folk will be. Hm....
You would of course be entitled to a full refund if the new time didn’t suit you.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I’ve accepted the inconvenience of 6 hours in the LGW FLounge next April without demur.
so3003, Geordie405, 'andad and 3 others like this.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Only objectionable if the change is so close to original departure that it severely limits passengers' possibilities to address the change.
Then it's callous. Flight changes months out is called air travel.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 11:46 am

It is callous even though it suited the OP?
TerryK, deeruck, HIDDY and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 11:51 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
It is callous even though it suited the OP?
I agree - I'd have called it flagrant rather than callous. Uncle T would sit happily on a park bench in Brixton if they supplied him with free Champagne.

(Corrected as I had originally split his infinitve!~)
Old Dec 7, 2018, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Please be gentle with my infinitive ... the cancer treatment has left it a bit delicate!
Old Dec 7, 2018, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL, Hilton Diamond, Marriott GOLD, Accor Club Gold
No - it wasn't callous in terms of its impact on me. What I was trying to say is that on a low frequency route such as Krakow/London, a four hour time change is dramatic, and is bound to leave some folk badly affected. And yes - they can be refunded, but it's more the inconvenience. Hard wondering why it has to be such a big time jump, given how many short-haul flights BA operates...
Old Dec 7, 2018, 1:13 pm

Programs: BA Silver
On another airline, I just had a 7am flight moved to 2am, with no alternatives possible at all. Now that’s callous!
Old Dec 7, 2018, 1:25 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Diamond, IHG Diamond
They’ve moved the last flight of the day from NCE-LHR by 15 mins. Outrageous! I’m never flying BA again and will now get there via MAD
Cymro and nancypants like this.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 1:36 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
I quite like the LGW lounge but 6+ hours - no thanks
Old Dec 7, 2018, 2:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Nothing to be done.

BA spends a lot of money on optimizing fleet usage and that schedule change for KRK may mean an additional frequency or a new service entirely for somewhere else.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 5:02 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cameramaker
They’ve moved the last flight of the day from NCE-LHR by 15 mins. Outrageous! I’m never flying BA again and will now get there via MAD
Getting to NCE via MAD would be a very attractive option to many on this board, especially on the 777
HIDDY likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had my AZ flight departure changed from 1PM to 3AM once. I avoid AZ at all costs.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 5:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond
Booking a lot of leisure travel months in advance, I encounter a significant (4-5+ hour) change several times a year. It's mostly tolerable, but sometimes requires adjusting travel plans or even cancelling the trip. I will say that when I've needed to cancel or move a flight, both AA and BA are as accommodating as possible. This could be avoided if I booked travel at the last minute, or didn't travel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.