Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Forgotten BA services, products & routes

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2018, 9:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Fraser
Assuming that by "a Manchester" you mean LHR-MAN I didn't know BA ever had Club on domestic flights until it recently. When did it get dropped?
Yes. I should have clarified it was LHR MAN. It wasn't Club Europe but was "Business Uk" which essentially a flexi Y ticket - so I will take that back. I do remember being on the 757 (possibly Barcelona) and the Club seats being A C DEF with people complaining about E seat being used.

Last edited by BAflyer2007; Dec 7, 2018 at 9:54 pm
Old Dec 8, 2018, 12:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
I also remember the BCal adverts... there’s another one I’m sure that’s airport based and has business men going round Gatwick South Terminal on buggy’s.
I don't remember that one, I'll have to try and find it online.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 12:33 am

Programs: Losing status by the day
Originally Posted by Confus

Actually you’ll find that BA’s A319s were originally purchased for BHX and operated from there for several years. It’s only in the (later) days of BA Connect that it was downgraded to a 146 base.
Oh yes, you're right - sorry! The change was definitely pre-BACON though - I was flying on the 146s from BHX when it was still BA Cityexpress, I think that would have been in 2003.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 2:20 am

Of a more recent vintage there was the arrangement with Starbucks in T5C, like many things abuse killed it off..
Old Dec 8, 2018, 2:44 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Prospero
Does anyone here remember the WT sliding stacked trays of the late nineties/early noughties?
I've spent a great deal of my time trying not to remember them!
Prospero likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 2:46 am

Originally Posted by simons1
like many things abuse killed it off..
Truer words have been rarely spoken - not just about Starbucks!

No one's mentioned Terminal One for Short Haul. I can see that Lounge now. I remember some arrangement with Air France when the pair would co-ordinate their flights from some gates that were miles from anywhere as they were situated between T1 and T2.Acfually who remembers when Club Europe was introduced (1981 or so?) and the ET passengers were given their meals a the gate?

Last edited by PUCCI GALORE; Dec 8, 2018 at 2:57 am
Old Dec 8, 2018, 3:00 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK Elite, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by PrimaVista
Ahhhhh, L1011 and those bloody greek urns..

Sovereign Holidays - British Airways
Funny really, when I see the URN being put in the overhead after being carried so carefully, I just think "Ït's going to break!"
Old Dec 8, 2018, 3:11 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
British Airways Express was a fantastic idea. British Midland (who owned Airlines of Britain) was basically feeding BA which I always thought was odd. I'm sure I remember having a hot breakfast from Wick to Glasgow on a Shorts 360!
Old Dec 8, 2018, 3:58 am

Programs: BA Gold
The Molton Brown travel spa in T4.

Looking at the Bcal advert upthread and a few clicks later I found this
and this
, as much as we complain about Club World now it's come a long way
T8191 likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 4:17 am

There was also the ill fated franchise in Kenya, Regional Air. Had to be killed off in 2005, they had some of the tattiest 737s I can remember.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 7:50 am
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
British Airways Complimentary Taxi (black cab) transfer service for business and first class passengers.

BA branded goods such as toys available to buy on board.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 8:49 am

Programs: BAEC Blue
Smile

I can remember the days of checking in and selecting seats from the cardboard seat display behind the desk, your chosen seat number then being affixed to one's boarding pass in Terminal 1 ( never a case of double seating in those days!). Anyone remembers the Alcock and Brown statue outside T3?. I also fondly recall the old clapperboard flight displays particularly the one in the old T2 right by the large central staircase. 40 years of working in the industry after starting my career at Heathrow with BEA/BOAC I have a wealth of memories of the good old days.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 8:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Those two archive clips linked above by woodey certainly make for an interesting watch ^

Seats in long-haul business - and space per passenger - have, of course, improved beyond all recognition.

As for the second video, about BA’s financials & service-related priorities, it’s fascinating to see just how closely the words spoken by Colin Marshall way back in 1990 reflect the current picture in 2018. (@ 4:47 into the video)

Whilst we are capable of - and have proven ourselves so - of delivering a high level of customer service, the thing that we are NOT* is consistent in that delivery. And that’s what we have to have as our ultimate target”

Plus ......

“So the issue of cost control must ALWAYS* be subordinate to the delivery of customer service”

Almost three decades on ...... and yet the very same problems, so clearly articulated by Marshall, still characterise today’s version of British Airways.

Plus ça change ......... plus c’est la même chose.

* (emphasis given by Marshall himself)
Sealink likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 9:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
I clearly remember the ‘menu-style’ cards issued in First Class, which were not food-related, but instead gave a list of movies to watch on your personal (very small) fold-away screen. You would order whichever movie/s you wanted to watch from CC ..... who would then go back to the galley to check actual availablity. A cartridge type thing - IIRC halfway in size between an old music-cassette and those weird 8-track things used in car stereos - would then be brought to you, to be inserted into the at-seat device.

Ah ..... nostalgia ..... it isn’t what it used to be.

EDIT : pax in biz and economy were stuck with whatever movie was showing on the ‘communal’ screens.
Sealink likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 9:10 am

The helicopter link between LHR and LGW
Sealink likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.