Old Dec 7, 2018, 1:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Latitudes.
Superflight.
The Junior Jet Club.
Dilbert.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 1:19 am

Carvery on the flying boat from Southampton to Khartoum.
justin_krusty and bisonrav like this.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 1:32 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

The Boeing 757 on the Shuttle flights.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 1:34 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Proper coloured boarding passes, I liked them!

BA 737's

BA Branded flights from Edinburgh to Stornaway (Loganair IIRC) in a 1 -2 configuration which I did for a few years back in the early 2000's. Beautiful views.
Akoz likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 2:01 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de Actes Bénéfiques pour les Autres, BAEC Gold.
I used to like having a proper BA ticket, with seperate coupons for each leg, which where pulled out on check in but left a copy within the ticket cover.
Markie likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 2:04 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Comet 4... before they were grounded.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 2:05 am

Programs: Mucci (Scirocco Sash), BAEC Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by criso
Flying as an unaccompanied child years ago with the little red plastic wallet they hung round your neck with your ticket and documents . I remember one time there were also 2 boys on the same flight who were at boarding school in England flying back to their parents who lived in spain. One about the same age as me, one a few years younger, I would have been 9 or 10 at the time.We were boarded first as usual and as the flight was full, put in first – the 3 of us sharing 2 seats. I was nevertheless impressed with the better food and real cutlery and crockery. When we got to our destination we were left till last and getting bored of waiting I offloaded myself followed by the boys. We collected our luggage and went through passport control unattended where I was met by my grandparents and assorted aunts and uncles and cousins. Not sure what happened to the boys but assume they managed to find whoever was meeting them as I don’t remember any scandals about lost British schoolboys in the news.
That's an excellent tale! ^
Old Dec 7, 2018, 2:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by orbitmic

I’ll admit if I’m gonna feel nostalgic about that shuttle it will be more about the large hot meals on a full tray rather than the boiled sweets!
I used to fly that a lot as an unaccompanied child - hence the memory of the sweets. That and the mini cans of coke were the highlight for me at the time.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 2:19 am

Programs: LH M+M
LEQ-ISC with G-BCEB .. done in 1984. Including a nice cockpit visit for the curious kid I've been
pennineuk, cornishsimon and Akoz like this.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 2:26 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
The unaccompanied minor service - I remember my first few flights being accompanied through Gatwick by BA staff

Proper Club Europe seating on the 737s - only a few years ago but seems like another age now.

Actually being able to get a gin & tonic in ET.
Markie likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Akoz
I used to fly that a lot as an unaccompanied child - hence the memory of the sweets. That and the mini cans of coke were the highlight for me at the time.
Ahah, very true - I think as adults, we sometimes forget that kids have a completely different view of the world. I remember visiting friends of my parents who had a flat with breathtaking views when I was a kid, which would make me dream today. At the time, I wouldn't give a sh*t and instead remember one particular tacky Indonesian mask which they had and which I thought was the most exciting and exotic thing in the world!
Old Dec 7, 2018, 2:45 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I'm not sure I really miss this, people used to complain about it at the time, but I'll record it here anyway. For years and years BA's short haul services after breakfast used to serve what was called "the all day deli", which was a pack of sandwiches and a Breakaway bar. Almost all the Breakaway bars I've ever eaten have been courtesy of BA. There were two versions of this, the square cellophane pack with a card base, version which were very easy for the crew to hand out. The other version was in a long box, with the sandwiches on top of each other, a water capsule at the end of the box and the Breakaway bar in between. The complaints were on the lines of "I don't eat cheese", "I don't eat mayo" or some such, something like 5% of supplied packs were vegetarian.

Of the routes, the two I miss most are Bergen and Stavanger. But set against that the bigger range of locations that BA now flies too. Not that long ago BA didn't fly LHR-DUB.
PAX_fips likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 2:56 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by simons1
Check in at Victoria Station.
No Love - BOAC was next door and BEA was in Gloucester Road. BCAL had the check-in and indeed seat allocation chart - but you may be too young for that - and I mean that in the nicest possible way!

I remember an ad from those days which said "Russiaway to Tokyo" when the opened flying over the Soviet Union.

BA started Super Shuttle with meals and drinks in direct competition with British Midland and us from LGW.

I remember when First was truly First as opposed to what it is today - I saw something the other day where someone had actually chosen Pie and Mash as a F meal. I suppose that once Reward seats came along the yield was reduced. People who were in there who had not paid a fare as such - whether right or wrong everyone in those days had paid or been paid for.

What i miss most are the town offices that seem to have vanished everywhere.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 3:26 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Lots of love for a proper domestic network including non London domestic flying. Could it be about to return .......

cs
Old Dec 7, 2018, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Proper 2-2 seats in CE on some GB Airways 737
Concorde (admittedly not that forgotten)
Paddington in town checkin
JNB arrivals lounge
BMed and some of their off the beaten track destinations (TBS, EVN, FRU) - especially when you could buy cheapest Y and upgrade to Cradle seat CW with a GUF
The BA App when it worked reliably unlike the current error laden version
The snug in ET during the convertible seat era
Fuel surcharges and taxes under £100 for a long haul flight
Krug in First
Fraser likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.