Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHR Sofitel Check in trial

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2018, 10:22 am
Suspended

Swiss Air have offered a luggage servicel for decades. They along with the railway SBB, offer several different choices.

https://switzerlandtravelcentre.co.uk/luggage-services/
Old Dec 4, 2018, 10:48 am

I hope checking in for a flight is quicker than checking in for a room at the Sofitel otherwise you’ll be there all day.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
We find the schlep from Sofitel Reception (keydrop) to T5 long enough dragging a couple of suitcases already. The last thing I want is an additional diversion en-route to the F Wing.

The HBO community may have a different view.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 11:33 am

Programs: BA Silver
Do economy pax stay at the Sofitel?
Old Dec 4, 2018, 11:54 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
Originally Posted by smokie36
Very much so, Some view £200 for 12 hours of comfort in a hotel a better spend than £2000 for 12 hours of comfort on a plane.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 1:04 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by bhbloke
It was under utilised, according to this story

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2003/jul/07/1
I thought it was because they wanted the space for retail purposes at Paddington, I always used to use it and the Gatwick check in facility too. I remember BA had 2 sides an economy side and a Club/First side then you would go down he escalator to the Gatwick Express platform. Virgin and American also used to have one at platform level. Used the AA once pretty sure VS was Upper Class only.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 1:22 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn

I thought it was because they wanted the space for retail purposes at Paddington, I always used to use it and the Gatwick check in facility too. I remember BA had 2 sides an economy side and a Club/First side then you would go down he escalator to the Gatwick Express platform. Virgin and American also used to have one at platform level. Used the AA once pretty sure VS was Upper Class only.

I believe some of it was linked to the downturn after the events of 9/11.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 2:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold, Priority Club Platinum, Best Western Diamond
Probably off topic but Jet2 allow you to check in your luggage at selected hotels in your resort and they transport the luggage to the airport and check it in for you if you are on a package deal. You can then go to the airport with your hand luggage and proceed straight to security.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by stewaran
Very much so, Some view £200 for 12 hours of comfort in a hotel a better spend than £2000 for 12 hours of comfort on a plane.
Indeed. Also, I’ve used it a few times before a G-bucket cheapo day trip to somewhere on the continent. Sofitel room + parking is really good value for this type of trip!

Back on topic: This check-in thing seems like a useless gimmick
Old Dec 4, 2018, 4:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP
In town check in works great in HK
Old Dec 4, 2018, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by T8191
We find the schlep from Sofitel Reception (keydrop) to T5 long enough dragging a couple of suitcases already. The last thing I want is an additional diversion en-route to the F Wing.

Why so? If I may speak on behalf of the HBO community, I'd say we couldn't care less where the unenlightened tag their bags.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 6:35 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by T8191

Lastminute.com's mystery five star hotel at the door of Heathrow is often the Sofitel. And great value
smokie36 likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 5:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond
As of last week the trial has moved to the next phase. Bags will now be portered to T5 by baggage teams, so customers can head straight to security.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 11:39 pm

For the beneft of any skiers - unfortunately they won’t take oversize bags, but it was still handy to drop off our normal suitcases and only have to drag the skis over to the airport.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 12:25 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Boeing77W
As of last week the trial has moved to the next phase. Bags will now be portered to T5 by baggage teams, so customers can head straight to security.
That is a solid benefit, and now I am more tempted to stay at Sofitel.
T8191 and nancypants like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.