Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Zero to GGL as a leisure traveller

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2018, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Certainly not *that* difficult to earn GGL as a leisure traveller. Back in 2008 I did a 4 continent RTW in FC, back when you could do 20 flights on the one ticket (although mine was only 19 segments), and FC of 2000+ miles was just 180 tier points. I think I made about 3000 tier points on that one trip alone and other oneworld travel added another 1000 tier points. If I hadn't been bothered about retaining Star Alliance Gold as well I could have concentrated that travel onto oneworld for a comfortable 5000+ tier points in the one calendar year. Alas my membership year fell right in the middle of all the travel so it was split across two years.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 9:03 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
I'm another leisure GGL flyer. My earlier work travel contributed substantially to Gold for Life but over the past 10 years have managed GGL level TP's with virtually no business flights. Does take a bit of planning and GUF2's are useful for the few extra TP's. Haven't had to do a TP run for a few years but am tempted by the AA 321T transcon flights from BOS and JFK to LAX and onto HNL so may well do that next year. SWMBO regularly gets 3-4K TP's as well - I tend to do some extra flights as I have more time on my hands.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 9:24 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
OP, only another six years of doing the same and you'll have Gold for Life!
Old Dec 4, 2018, 12:39 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: Lowly BAEC Bronze, VS, IHG Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Living the dream! Thanks for sharing.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 12:54 pm

Whatever brings you happiness, etc - however, I can’t help but feel that if you are scraping GGL through leisure travel alone, then you are probably not maximising your opportunities for travel using Avios and rewards. Only you can say whether GGL brings you more happiness than effecting solid mileage accrural and redemption strategies.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 1:40 pm

If you’re looking to donate a Gold card, look no further 😉.

Great story.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 3:28 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by Nh1988
If you’re looking to donate a Gold card, look no further 😉.

Great story.
Haha, seconded, tis the season now no?
Old Dec 5, 2018, 1:43 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by safari ari
Haha, seconded, tis the season now no?
Maybe OP would consider a charity raffle, or donating them to somehow raise money for a good cause, given the season. I'm sure there are sites out there that could help. Raffles perhaps?

I'm not trying to suggest that us FT folk are not "a good cause", obviously ... just that there are... *better* causes out there.

/sanctimony

P.S. I know there has been controversy with Gold / Silver cards being donated previously
Old Dec 5, 2018, 2:21 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
Originally Posted by rhivolution
Maybe OP would consider a charity raffle, or donating them to somehow raise money for a good cause, given the season. I'm sure there are sites out there that could help. Raffles perhaps?

I'm not trying to suggest that us FT folk are not "a good cause", obviously ... just that there are... *better* causes out there.

/sanctimony

P.S. I know there has been controversy with Gold / Silver cards being donated previously
I would want to clear this with BA before doing something that could, potentially, endanger my own account and status.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 3:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CD747
Whatever brings you happiness, etc - however, I can’t help but feel that if you are scraping GGL through leisure travel alone, then you are probably not maximising your opportunities for travel using Avios and rewards. Only you can say whether GGL brings you more happiness than effecting solid mileage accrural and redemption strategies.
Indeed. I've mostly stepped off the status hamster wheel, because it works out better for me to just use miles for J rewards and get most benefits that way.

That said, fare sales (+ error fares) can work out far easier and even cost effective than paying those BA surcharges for reward tickets, GUF + Joker or not...
Old Dec 5, 2018, 6:32 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by eefor jfp
I would want to clear this with BA before doing something that could, potentially, endanger my own account and status.
Of course! Don't feel any obligation to do so. I was more poking fun at those being cheeky enough to ask for the donation, as in if you're going to give it away to someone random off the internet, it may as well be for charity! But hopefully all in good fun - I didn't meant to offend!
Old Dec 5, 2018, 7:10 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
im also a leisure GGL traveller.

didnt do the sums - but dont think i spent GBP12000 to qualify though. sounds a little high.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 1:40 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
Originally Posted by rhivolution
Of course! Don't feel any obligation to do so. I was more poking fun at those being cheeky enough to ask for the donation, as in if you're going to give it away to someone random off the internet, it may as well be for charity! But hopefully all in good fun - I didn't meant to offend!
Certainly no offense taken on my part and I note the "/sanctimony" so there is certainly tongue in cheek here as you mentioned. Just cautioning the OP in case he takes your suggestion to heart that it might lead to problems with BA (although their fraud department seems much less active/aggressive/problematic that those of the US carriers).
Old Dec 5, 2018, 2:54 pm

Programs: JAL Diamond, BAEC Gold, AS 75K, VS Gold, AC 50K, WoH Globalist, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
This is literarily the life I want!

I am on 58 flights this year (111,120 miles), 34 domestic (mainly AA LAX-JFK runs) and 24 intl. There are three more flights coming up (2AA, 1BA, but they count for the 2019 cycle). But as I definitely WON'T be able to make GGL I stopped at Gold and just enjoy all Emerald benefits on OW flights.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 1:28 am

Programs: BA Bronze Executive Club Member
Originally Posted by snaxmuppet
You make a valid point but sometimes you want to achieve certain goals even though it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever to do them. Take me for instance... I am doing two TP runs next year to get me to get me to BAEC Gold but I may never really benefit from being Gold. I am not a frequent flyer and normally only fly a few times a year when, for the most part, being a gold will not really give me any benefits... certainly nothing worth the money it took to get me there... yet I want to do it! Don't ask me why. Call it a challenge if you like but there you are. I accept all the criticism I get for spending money on something that, for me in my circumstances, seems totally trivial and pointless. I cannot argue against it but sometimes it isn't only about the money. In my case, I wanted to do a cheap RTW run and the good price for OTP-PHX came up so I went for it. My wife thinks I am mad!!!!
Bravo! Much respect for people who just do it because they want to do it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.