Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHR terminal transfer on Christmas Day

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2018, 9:57 pm
Original Poster

LHR terminal transfer on Christmas Day

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this query but I think it may be best place to get the correct information.

The booking in question is on a BA ticket, albeit the transatlantic leg is on AA.

We're flying EDI-LHR on Christmas Eve then onwards to JFK on Christmas day. We're staying overnight at the Sofitel at T5 and will require a transfer to T3 in the morning.

My question is does anyone know what landslide options there are for this journey given that the Heathrow Express isn't running from the 23rd and according to TFL the underground doesn't run on the 25th?
Old Nov 27, 2018, 10:19 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
When I used to stay at the T5 Hilton twice a week, I always used Windsor Cars for transfer from/to T2 and T5 - I believe it was 18 or 20 GBP one-way to T2 and less for T5, and always very reliable. Should be similar price from T5 to T3.
I used to just call up on +44 (0) 1753 677677 to book, and recommend booking the night before.

Hope this helps
Old Nov 27, 2018, 10:31 pm

Realtime Trains | Departures from Heathrow Airport Terminal 5

Looks like there will be a 3 per hour internal shuttle by Heathrow Express, which is in line with what they've run in previous years
Old Nov 28, 2018, 3:17 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
the number 7 bus (First Bus) runs from T5 to the central bus terminal. The TfL website journey planner and the first bus journey planner for Christmas day is suggesting it is running

The other option would be the 423 bus to nene road (bus stop BJ), cross the road and then take one of the buses into the central bus station from bus stop BM

https://tfl.gov.uk/maps/bus?Input=Nene+Road%2C+Hounslow%2C+UK&InputGeoloca tion=51.48030471801758%2C-0.4496499001979828
Old Nov 28, 2018, 3:53 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by scottishpoet
the number 7 bus (First Bus) runs from T5 to the central bus terminal. The TfL website journey planner and the first bus journey planner for Christmas day is suggesting it is running

The other option would be the 423 bus to nene road (bus stop BJ), cross the road and then take one of the buses into the central bus station from bus stop BM

https://tfl.gov.uk/maps/bus?Input=Nene+Road%2C+Hounslow%2C+UK&InputGeoloca tion=51.48030471801758%2C-0.4496499001979828
I think the journey planner is wrong if it is suggesting those buses are running on Christmas Day - all TfL public transport is shut that day and this has been the case for many years. It's one of the reasons I usually stay at the sofitel on Chistmas Eve/Day if I am travelling as the buses/tube aren't available to the usual places I stay (mostly Premier Inn or HGI).

https://tfl.gov.uk/status-updates/ma...ristmas-travel
Old Nov 28, 2018, 3:54 am

Unless something changed, public buses do not run on 25th (I think tfl might not be up to date yet) - quite surprisingly around Heathrow as the airport is operational

I used to work for a hotel group and we would have a large taxi bill and some staff temporarily living in around 25th to keep things running.

The shuttle train has always run though and the schedule I shared is one that has been uploaded especially for 25th so you can be confident in that being available
Old Nov 28, 2018, 4:16 am
Suspended

Programs: *A G, OW S.
Unless cost is an issue I would just book a cab from the Sofitel to T3, it will be by far the easiest and also the most certain option. Both Parker and Addison Lee are sure to have drivers in the patch on Christmas Day.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 5:06 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador
www.batransfer.com are the taxi firm that I usually use. They charge £25 supplement for Christmas Day bookings.

Addison Lee also charge extra but not sure how much.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 7:23 am
Original Poster

Thanks very much for all the replies above.

As always this place is an amazing source of information.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 8:00 am

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
I'd be very surprised if the inter-terminal transfers weren't running, as the airport is operational. The Sofitel at T5 is practically in the terminal building (ok, a short walk) so there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to walk into T5 and use the free transfer train.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fluffymitten
I'd be very surprised if the inter-terminal transfers weren't running, as the airport is operational. The Sofitel at T5 is practically in the terminal building (ok, a short walk) so there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to walk into T5 and use the free transfer train.
It's where we usually stay if overnighting at LHR and is a doddle to to the transfer usually. Was just a bit concerned given the info on TFL and heathrow express websites.
I did think it would be very strange for the trains not to be running between terminals with the airport operating but was unable to find any information specifically for Christmas day on the LHR website.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 10:30 am

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
Originally Posted by AlanWad
It's where we usually stay if overnighting at LHR and is a doddle to to the transfer usually. Was just a bit concerned given the info on TFL and heathrow express websites.
I did think it would be very strange for the trains not to be running between terminals with the airport operating but was unable to find any information specifically for Christmas day on the LHR website.
Their site is primarily focussed on flight connections, airside, rather than landside transfers so I can completely understand why you'd be concerned. Because of the way the ticketing has changed, you will need to pick up an inter-terminal ticket or else you won't get through the barriers. Alternatively, if you have an oyster card or contactless payment card you can use those and won't be charged for the trip.

Last edited by fluffymitten; Nov 28, 2018 at 10:30 am Reason: can't spell :)
Old Nov 28, 2018, 2:17 pm

[left]
Originally Posted by Dover2Golf
Unless cost is an issue I would just book a cab from the Sofitel to T3, it will be by far the easiest and also the most certain option. Both Parker and Addison Lee are sure to have drivers in the patch on Christmas Day.
There’s a 3 x hourly shuttle running on 25 Dec. That’s more than adequate for the OP given that he’s at T5 anyway.

Last edited by Oxon Flyer; Nov 29, 2018 at 4:08 am Reason: For compliance with FT Rules
Old Nov 28, 2018, 9:43 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by AlanWad
I can't think of a single year in recent history where Heathrow Express hasn't operated an inter-terminal shuttle over Christmas when the rest of the railway is not operating (Christmas Day/Boxing Day) or engineering works. The last occasion there was no train service in the tunnels due to engineering work they operated a replacement bus shuttle even on Christmas Day.

(In the interests of disclosure I probably should point out that I am the proprietor of the railway website mentioned upthread.)
Old Nov 29, 2018, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Beaulieu
(In the interests of disclosure I probably should point out that I am the proprietor of the railway website mentioned upthread.)
Presumably you mean realtimetrains rather than TfL?

If so, I would like to nominate you for a Mucci, if Her Highness would be so gracious as to recognise transportation-related genius.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.