Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Strange high pitch noise from cabin control area

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2018, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, Virgin Red, HH Silver, SPG Gold, Priority Pass,

Is it just me or does anyone else think the high-pitched noise that you get around take-off time is like the sound from the game show Catchphrase?

In any case, what does that noise signify and if it is just me, I’ll get my coat
Old Nov 27, 2018, 12:30 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I'm not well placed to comment on daytime television programmes, but was there a specific aircraft type behind your post?
Old Nov 27, 2018, 12:39 pm

Programs: Skyteam Elite+, VS Red, HHonours Diamond, Accor Plat
Was this on an Airbus?

The first high-pitched noise you hear is an electric motor that closes the cargo door but since you say it was near take-off I'd suggest it's the power transfer unit that you are hearing.

Originally Posted by Wikipedia
In aviation, a power transfer unit (PTU) is a device that transfers hydraulic power from one of an aircraft's hydraulic systems to another in the event that second system has failed or been turned off.[1]The PTU is used when, for example, there is right hydraulic system pressure but no left hydraulic system pressure. In this example, the PTU transfers hydraulic power from the right hydraulic system to the left hydraulic system. A PTU consists of a hydraulic motor paired with a hydraulic pump via a shaft.[2] As the connection is purely mechanical, there is no intermixing of hydraulic fluid between the left and right hydraulic systems during PTU operation.
This can either sound like an angry, barking dog or a whine depending on hydraulic loads.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stuart_f
Was this on an Airbus?

The first high-pitched noise you hear is an electric motor that closes the cargo door but since you say it was near take-off I'd suggest it's the power transfer unit that you are hearing.

This can either sound like an angry, barking dog or a whine depending on hydraulic loads.
Yep, Airbus every time it happens. Just weird that it reminds me of Catchphrase. @cws - unless you’re an oldie, you won’t have heard of Catchphrase - the old days were much better for trash TV
Old Nov 27, 2018, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Heard the yapping dog noise as the plane had stopped - that one does sound hydraulic in nature. I really should stop this but I’m just curious what is going on

I’ll ask the crew on my next flight.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 2:40 pm

If it's not the PTU then the last option that springs to mind are the flap motors which are ridiculously loud on the A320 family but that noise will come from the wing-root.

When you say "cabin control area" do you mean the area behind the flight deck where the screen is or something else?
Old Nov 27, 2018, 2:47 pm

The yapping dog noise is an Airbus signature! I believe its a large worm screw.....
'andad likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 2:49 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

This high pitch noise. Is it the sound made by the ovens when they are switched on?
HIDDY, 1Aturnleft and DYKWIA like this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 3:55 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Prospero
This high pitch noise. Is it the sound made by the ovens when they are switched on?
That’s what I thought too. They do make a noise with a sort of rising pitch which I guess could sound a bit like the Catchphrase sound!
Old Nov 27, 2018, 4:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Prospero
You know you've spent far too much time in the air when you recognise the noise an aircraft oven makes when switched on.......
sahajesh, windscar, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stuart_f
If it's not the PTU then the last option that springs to mind are the flap motors which are ridiculously loud on the A320 family but that noise will come from the wing-root.

When you say "cabin control area" do you mean the area behind the flight deck where the screen is or something else?
The area where you board the plane from the airbridge - the CSD (CSM?) is there and lots of lights and switches too.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 4:37 pm

Yep - That's the area I thought you meant - good description.

I must apologise, I thought I knew what you meant by the Catchphrase noise and based my answer on that but Mrs _f has just pointed out I was thinking of the Family Fortunes UHHH UHHHH (big raspberry noise when they get the X) instead which is why I suggested the PTU. Clearly this was not what you meant - my mistake - sorry.

I think the posters suggesting the oven have the answer.

Last edited by stuart_f; Nov 27, 2018 at 4:43 pm
Old Nov 27, 2018, 4:44 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by sahajesh
The area where you board the plane from the airbridge - the CSD (CSM?) is there and lots of lights and switches too.
I would call that the front galley or Door 1 area, but yes I think it's the oven. Shortly before take off they may well end with a series of bleep-bleep noises, two tone, which indicates the first round of cooking has completed its cycle (so perhaps the flight deck's meals). It will stay warm until after take off has ended and the crew can then move about.
HIDDY likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 10:52 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
JustTheOne and wrp96 like this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 2:04 am

Programs: BA GGL; Lifetime Gold
When I read the title, I thought the post was going to be about a Gold complaining about crew bags in the overheads above Row 1.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.