Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Meal timings on BA15

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2018, 2:04 am
Original Poster

Meal timings on BA15

Travelling on BA15 LHR to SYD in Club World on Xmas Day and whilst I am sure there will be plenty of food, can someone tell me what meals are served when (with approximate timings)?

Also as a diabetic, what are the diabetic options like? Not sure whether to go for the special meals as I'm also intolerant to wheat and egg so trying to judge what might be best for the journey or whether I need to take suitable nibbles.

Many thanks
Old Nov 26, 2018, 2:07 am

I can't answer your specific question, but I would definitely advise taking snacks in your situation. I have a family member with similar conditions and IMHO it's too risky to travel without self-catering options to fall back on. Even if the menu and timing look great, there's always the risk that it won't work like that on the day, at which point your options are limited.
argonath and Karen762 like this.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 3:23 am

Programs: QF
From memory it is dinner a hour or two after take off with a light meal about 3 hours before landing in SIN. On the SIN to SYD leg dinner again an hour to two after takeoff and a breakfast before landing in SYD.

I can't comment on the special meals.
Karen762 likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 4:46 am

Programs: QF, BA, VA
Dinner a couple of hours, give or take, after leaving LHR and breakfast a couple of hours or so before landing in SIN. Dinner an hour or so after take off from SIN, and a light breakfast before landing in SYD.

I would avoid ordering any special meals, and take your own snacks, just in case, as has already been suggested. I naively ordered the diabetic option in F on BA16 - it was a huge pile of rice and steamed fish. (I am in the low carb no meds camp so not blaming BA at all, I suspect they followed UK nutritional guidelines.)
Karen762 likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 4:54 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The Christmas meal comes with gravy all over the turkey, or it did in past years, so the main option isn't going to work as far as gluten / wheat is concerned.

But yes, when there are multiple food sensitivities involved, you're going beyond what airlines can do by way of mass catering, so you best bring your own items.
Karen762 likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 6:23 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors Diamond; A3 *Nothing ; BA Exec. Club Gold
I only know the timings on the SIN-SYD flight and found it illogical.

dinner is served slow, it finished up to 3 hours into the 7+hr flight.
Another hour before the lights go off., and 2 hours later the lights go on again for breakfast.

Leaving from Singapore I generally land at 5am local time without any sleep. Perhaps it feels better if you came from LHR and had a good sleep during the first sector.

If you need food, bring snacks.. it is always a good idea for diabetics anyway?

Globalist
Karen762 likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone

I can put up with my intolerances on an occasional basis (especially as I didn't know I had them till 6 months ago) - it's an intolerance and not an allergy so would just end up with a few gastric problems and feeling a bit tired. I can cope with that as I have been for several years. I'm OK with gluten though - it's just various wheats, egg and banana that affect me.

Will avoid the Special Meals and just choose/eat carefully/swap bits of food with hubby - will take some suitable snacks though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.