Search

Surprise - Fast Immigration @ MIA

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2018, 2:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Thumbs up Surprise - Fast Immigration @ MIA

The historical Tread 1 and Thread 2 provide descriptions of MIA immigration being far worse some years ago. My own experience transiting MIA 6-10 times per year for many years is that things have markedly improved, the introduction of the APC kiosks certainly being a substantial part of the process.

Flying BA 207 on Nov 22, I had a 3+ hour connecting time, allowing for both a more lengthy wait at immigration and some quality lounge time, before boarding the AA B777 to LAX. Leaving through the 2L door, there were some 25+ pax ahead of me on the way to the immigration/customs ordeal greeting. To my surprise, the area of APC kiosks were roped off and we were directed to CBP agents without any Customs Declaration forms. Queuing in front of me were now 13 fellow travellers, but with 6 CBP agents and the fastest process I ever experienced, I stood waiting for less than a minute, and spent half a minute with the agent, who said nothing about us not having made any Customs Declaration. The icing on the cake was the security check where three lines were ready for us, with one or two waiting in any line

All in all, not counting walking time, something to endure at all airports, the combined Immigration/Customs control time, including the almost non-existing waiting was just a couple of minutes. Certainly a record for my history of arrivals to the US.

The negative side of this story is of course the lengthy lounge stay I had to face in the Flagship Lounge. We all know of the health risks associated with the prolonged exposure of all service items available in an establishment like that. So like many other fellow posters, in numerous other threads, I join the crowd to demand some compensation
Old Nov 25, 2018, 2:44 am

Programs: BAEC OW Gold/Emerald
I will be connecting through MIA this coming Saturday and would hope that I can make it through as speedily as you... even if it means risking my health in the Flagship Lounge too!
Old Nov 25, 2018, 4:02 am
Suspended

BA207 can be the first wide body arrival of the day from Europe, so you just get ahead of the crowd.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 4:06 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
I’ll be arriving in MIA for the first time in january. In years gone by I’ve had some horrors, as have others, but in the last two years I can’t recall being any more than 15 to 20 mins on my dozen or so arrivals in the USA. On the majority of occasions I’ve been through with virtually no wait at all.2

I haven’t been looking forward to MIA as my partner will be on a first time ESTA and therefore not eligible to use a kiosk. This thread gives me hope!
Old Nov 25, 2018, 4:10 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
MIA has improved from a couple of years ago. IMHO the worst in the US is currently MCO. Badly organised, too few agents with lanes open rather than standing around chatting and overrun with too many flights which all seem to arrive in bursts so as to top up the queues. Last time in 2 weeks ago on BA2039 we had a 30 minute passenger hold in the aircraft due to the immigration hall being over full. After being released it was a further 2:25 wait.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 4:33 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
So far MIA has been smooth enough for me, that is alone, with husband or with kids too. I don't dislike at all entering US (or transiting) from there.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 7:07 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
I'm glad to hear that MIA has improved. In general, I am finding that the CBP entry process is much better since they deployed the automated passport kiosks in most airports. Whether JFK, BOS, ORD, DFW or LAX, these former "how many hours in the queue?" locations have not been bad to me for a good couple of years now. I rarely feel like complimenting them, but the CBP really has transformed the US immigration experience with the kiosks. Not only is it faster, but now it feels much less like a stressful game of 5-20 questions to enter the USA.

Of course, you then end up waiting for bags before customs [1], but at least you can stand in the luggage hall at your convenience using your electronics for a while instead of shuffling along in a queue being robo-hectored about form filling and non-use of phones by overhead monitors playing videos on a loop.

[1] The "I never check a bag, you should never check one either" threads are over there ----->
Old Nov 25, 2018, 8:14 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
We flew into MIA last week and from touchdown to waiting for our hotel shuttle bus was less than an hour and that included collecting our luggage.

However, arriving at MIA to check in on Wednesday was awful. 30 minute wait to check in at BA F desk as the staff member seemed to be working as slowly as possible. Horrendous queue to clear security and had to ask for my TSA card.

The final insult was the scrum trying to board the plane - absolutely chaotic and to round it off very average crew.

Strangely CSM spent over an hour talking to pax in row 1 while kneeling in the aisle and blocking access to the toilet. Then she got up never to be seen again and crew then started to serve us.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.