Search

No San Jose

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2018, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club
No San Jose

Hi everyone

I have been looking to book a flight with avoid to San Jose. The BA site says they fly there but I cannot select it in the reward flight finder, it just doesn’t appear on the drop down list of airports

Have BA stopped flying there? or is it that they don’t offer reward flights (they normally let you select the destination and then tell you there are no seats!)

Thanks

Jonathan
Old Nov 20, 2018, 11:40 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
LA is a great big freeway, so if I were you I'd put a dollar down and buy a car.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 11:57 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
If I look to book a flight with Avios then both SJC and SJO are available in the main booking engine, so maybe try that option instead of the Reward Flight Finder?

Obviously the former San Jose (SJC) is in California, whereas the latter (SJO) is in Costa Rica
Old Nov 20, 2018, 11:59 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

I am unable to replicate this problem. BA flies to two San Joses: LHR to SJC (in California) and LGW to SJO (in Costa Rica). When using the BA app, SJC is listed as San Francisco (San Jose CA). Can you see this at your end?

Last edited by Prospero; Nov 20, 2018 at 12:15 pm Reason: Correction to airport code
Old Nov 20, 2018, 12:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Interestingly the BA app does offer San Jose (SJC) as an option but the main website at ba.com only offers SFO as a San Francisco airport.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 12:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Prospero
I am unable to replicate this problem. BA flies to two San Joses: LHR to SJU (in California) and LGW to SJO (in Costa Rica). When using the BA app, SJC is listed as San Francisco (San Jose CA). Can you see this at your end?
SJU is not San Jose, and it's not in California.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 12:16 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by moondog
SJU is not San Jose, and it's not in California.
well spotted, thanks.for that. I've edited my post to correct my error.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 1:42 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
You also have to be wary of SJD as well (San Jose Del Cabo in Baja California) though maybe not with BA unless it pops up on a codeshare with AA as they fly there. I fly to both SJC and SJD from SAN and always try to make sure that I have the right San Jose. One is primarily for work and the other is for pleasure, so it would suck to get it wrong!
Old Nov 20, 2018, 1:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Reetmafreen
You also have to be wary of SJD as well (San Jose Del Cabo in Baja California) though maybe not with BA unless it pops up on a codeshare with AA as they fly there. I fly to both SJC and SJD from SAN and always try to make sure that I have the right San Jose. One is primarily for work and the other is for pleasure, so it would suck to get it wrong!
About 20 years ago, I was driving a friend to SJC so he could catch a flight to EWR, and caught a glance of his itinerary printout, noticing SJO as the origin. A quick phone call to CO and $1500 fare difference sorted things out quite nicely.
Geordie405 likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 2:11 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
I was arranging a booking to Japan once, and while discussing it mentioned to the booker which companies I was visiting. The fare seemed expensive, and I was also surprised to be asked if I had arranged the necessary innoculations (quite a long list for Tokyo, but health and safety obligent I imagined), so I went off and did.

It was only on checking the booking a little later I discovered the dangers of accidental misunderstandings.

One of the companies I'd mentioned I was visiting was Fuji, and my ticket was booked for Fiji.

Anyway, given how many San Joses there are, it's no surprise no-one can find it.
JAXBA, moondog and squawk like this.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 2:35 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by moondog
About 20 years ago, I was driving a friend to SJC so he could catch a flight to EWR, and caught a glance of his itinerary printout, noticing SJO as the origin. A quick phone call to CO and $1500 fare difference sorted things out quite nicely.
Oh, I got more than one call from SEA airport staff during my time at BA to say that they had some pax who had just come in from LHR and found they were ticketed for SJC, and not the SJO they had meant to book themselves to however many months ago.

You'd think people might question a London-SJO routing through SEA but nope. They'd get to SEA and then they'd realise they were 3400 miles away from Costa Rica...

And of course, one of JAX BA Call Centre's final mistakes was to send someone to GND instead of GRX...
Geordie405 and moondog like this.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 2:44 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by bisonrav
One of the companies I'd mentioned I was visiting was Fuji, and my ticket was booked for Fiji.
I guess I'm dating myself, but does anyone else remember the "Baka Vinaku Beachside!" AT&T commercial?

flying4workNfun likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 6:29 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
I think the worst confused airport story I've heard was the poor chap who was aiming for SYD, Australia, letters got transposed during booking, and he ended up on a plane to SDY, Montana instead. And apparently didn't pick up anything was wrong until he was connecting in Denver and found himself thinking that the Cape Air Cessna at the gate was just a wee bit small to go over an ocean. (SDY is a tiny place and only has air service because of the EAS subsidy program)
Old Nov 20, 2018, 10:52 pm

I fly to SJO and SJC on a regular basis. The way I can tell my mistake is by the fare or connecting airports but god forbid I accidentally find a flight to CR for $200 E or $450 J because I may well book it and find myself in the wrong place. Hope I have my passport handy if I do make that mistake!
Old Nov 21, 2018, 12:03 am

I mean there are worst but places than Costa Rica and Cabo to accidentally fly to right? Haha

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.