Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Availability showing on EF, BA.com booking a higher bucket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2018, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Diamond, IHG Diamond

I'm looking for return flights to MIA on some specific dates in March, Y outbound and W inbound. The price of the return sector in W has gone up by £500 overnight. Checking on EF, it is showing T2 E7 W9, which I presume means they're willing to sell 2 more seats in the lowest World Traveller Plus bucket, however when booking on BA.com it books straight in to E class.

There is the desired fare on the BA210 2 hours later but it is a mid-J 744, so was hoping to get on the A388 operated BA208 a little earlier.

Am I missing something obvious here or could it be some jigging around ahead of next weeks sale? My dilemma here is whether to snag the cheap T fare on the mid-J later flight or gamble on it reappearing next week and being in the much more desirable A388 UD.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 10:45 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
What is the point of sale in each case?

Can you get a better result from Kayak, SkyScanner, Momondo, etc,?

What about the BookWithMatrix Chrome extension through Priceline?
Old Nov 16, 2018, 10:53 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
Are you sure that ba.com books it into E? You can check that if you select 3 seats. The reason I'm asking because the W pricing is usually a dual inventory fare where one component is an economy ticket and the other is the availability of T or E. It is possible that to get the cheaper W ticket the fare bucket in the economy class disappeared hence it's cost more.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 11:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cymro
What is the point of sale in each case?

Can you get a better result from Kayak, SkyScanner, Momondo, etc,?

What about the BookWithMatrix Chrome extension through Priceline?
Originally Posted by Krisz
Are you sure that ba.com books it into E? You can check that if you select 3 seats. The reason I'm asking because the W pricing is usually a dual inventory fare where one component is an economy ticket and the other is the availability of T or E. It is possible that to get the cheaper W ticket the fare bucket in the economy class disappeared hence it's cost more.
BA.com/the iOS app is the POS.

The booking is for 1 person. Currently BA.com is allowing me to book BA207 on 22/03 in N class and BA210 on 25/03 in T class, but only E class on the BA208 on 24/03 despite EF saying T2 with the 207 remaining in N class.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 11:35 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
my check on EF for 24/03/2019 BA208 shows only W9 E8 T0 only BA210 on that day shows W9 E9 T5 BA206 W9 E9 T0
Old Nov 16, 2018, 11:40 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
By point of sale, I actually mean - which country are you trying to buy your ticket from? But you've indirectly answered the question.

ExpertFlyer with a UK point of sale shows

F9 A6
J9 C9 D9 R9 I9
W9 E8 T0
Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9 L9 V9 S9 N9 Q9 O0 G9
However, with the default USA point of sale, it shows

F9 A6
J9 C9 D9 R9 I9
W9 E7 T2
Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9 L9 V9 S9 N9 Q9 O0 G9
BA.com in all its forms, including the app, sets the point of sale as wherever you're departing from (in this case, your outbound presumably starts at LHR).

So what you need to do is find a US-based travel agent. My recommendation would be to get the BookWithMatrix Chrome extension, install that, and then go through to Priceline where you should pay the appropriate fare in US dollars. But any US-based travel agent that will accept UK-based payments will work.

Do be aware that you can't upgrade using avios if there is any non-BA metal on a travel agent booking, however.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 1:27 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I see the PoS issue seems to be cause here, I think it's always good if the full details are published to find out the root cause - but just to mention there can be many other reasons. It's a complex area (and I'm not saying I know it all either). Among the other factors are

- married segments
- through fares versus end-on-end fare construction rules (huge issue in its own right)
- fare combinability rules (often you can just shove two fares together)
- "most restrictive conditions" applying
- dual inventory fares (particularly for WTP) which have special construction rules
- maximum permitted mileage rules (though that seems less of an issue these days)
- advance purchase rules which can vary on sectors
- BA.com tries to find the cheapest fare even if it goes up a fare bucket - some taxation aspects cause odd results
- BA.com thinks it is finding the cheapest fare - and occasionally it doesn't!

There's no great short cuts here, even after so many years of staring at fare basis rules - and that's one of the things I never thought I would become knowledgeable about - quite regularly I get caught out by some strange or new oddity or other.
Cymro and Anonba like this.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by Krisz
Ba.com shows the actual booking class so in WTP this would be W E or T. While you are correct there are dual inventory fares but these would still work off a particular booking class ie E or T then the amount of discount depends on WT booking class. So if ba.com books a dual inventory fare it would show the WTP booking class say E and wouldnt be afected by being a dual inventiry fare.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all.

Availability showed up today at the original price I found so snagged it whilst it was there.

Lesson learned to check the POS setting on EF however!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.