Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA First from LHR Terminal 3 - How should I prepare

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA First from LHR Terminal 3 - How should I prepare

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2018, 9:51 pm

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by tenn_ace
I was at CX First lounge 2 days ago. It was quite busy, but breakfast was served efficiently. Still, I throught too many of us head straight for CX lounges... 😉 the cat is out of the bag.
I was there last Saturday morning (9-11) and it was packed (well, packed in a First Class sort of way). Food service in the dining area was slightly slower, but it is still the best lounge around.

I think it quietens down after about 11.30am.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 10:01 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH D, QFF, EB
Originally Posted by CatchThePigeon
Can anyone with access to either CX lounges use the showers? Or is it restricted to those e.g. on long haul only?
No restrictions for the showers based on length of flight or cabin. So long as you have access to the lounge you can use the showers.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 10:03 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
I would add a few thoughts to this thread based on many flights to PHX from T3.
  • The CX lounge has recently refreshed the menu and it does appear to be an enhancement (for example, no more eggs benedict at breakfast) and not just a periodic shift in the offering... also they are having issues at times with power getting cut to their kitchen and in talking with staff, it's a recurring problem with their particular T3 infrastructure that is triggered by weather
  • The CX shift from breakfast to lunch is fairly late (around 12:00), and I tend to prefer the lunch menu over the breakfast menu
  • There are a few times of day before CX flights to HKG where the CX lounge gets fairly crowded. For me in general the best lounge is the one that is relatively calm
  • The CX lounge will also make nice non-alcohol beverages like their Cathay Delight which I enjoy
  • The AA lounge has the fastest wifi of the four, and the flagship/first lounge has what I think is the best service. You enter the lounge and an AA lounge rep asks how they can help and offer to bring you whatever you need
  • The BA lounge is a good place to wait while your partner is in the Elemis spa, since you cannot pre-reserve simultaneous bookings
  • The BA lounge has the better scones, and the ala carte menu is the same as the T5 Flounge, which is a subset of the CCR menu
  • All of the T3 shower options are better than the T5 shower options
  • The landside to airside T3 fast track is quite fast which I'll often use when arriving via DUB and transferring via Heathrow Express or tube to T3. The T5-T3 bus takes 9-11 minutes once on the bus (depends if it actually stops at T5B or not), but the fast track security on transfers is more like the T5 fast track connections security in that it's not a separated experience, and non-fast track passengers are often put into the queue when the security agents seem to think that fast track isn't busy enough (and usually right before I arrive for whatever reason!). If the bus queue at T5 is substantial, it may be faster to enter the UK if you have a UK or EU passport or UK Registered Traveler and transfer landside, but only do this if you have plenty of time for your connection and feel comfortable with the route.
  • The walking distances in T3 are often quite a bit longer than their T5 equivalents from lounge to gate. For example the gates in the 40s which are common for 747s are a good 7-10 minutes at a brisk pace
Overall I find the T3 experience to be fine and while it does not have the overall architecture aesthetics of T5 or T2, it has more lounge variety than T5 and sufficient retail options if needed.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 10:08 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by SeattleDavid
I was there last Saturday morning (9-11) and it was packed (well, packed in a First Class sort of way). Food service in the dining area was slightly slower, but it is still the best lounge around.

I think it quietens down after about 11.30am.
In general it gets quiet when they call for departure for the CX flights to HKG. For example, today the departures on CX are at 11:20, 16:50, 17:55, 20:20, and 22:05. So I would expect the busiest times to be 09:45-10:40, 15:15-17:30, and 18:50-21:30. There are more AA longhaul flights in the morning and some in the afternoon. BA tends to have a few banks of T3 longhaul flights (mid-morning, mid-afternoon, evening, night). Unless it's a day with significant IRROPS, if one lounge is heaving, another lounge may be very quiet.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 3:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Originally Posted by dylanks
I would add a few thoughts to this thread based on many flights to PHX from T3.
[..]
Overall I find the T3 experience to be fine and while it does not have the overall architecture aesthetics of T5 or T2, it has more lounge variety than T5 and sufficient retail options if needed.
Thank you so much for this. It is so much more than I could ask for. It seems that I'll be lounge hopping.

If all goes smoothly I should arrive half 11 and I should be able to get to T3 by noon from when I'll have four hours until departure. I'll have plenty of time to see all lounges, but I am especially interested in CX for the food (asian food lover!) and shower but I'd also like to try BA a la carte dining and finish off with a gin from QA.
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 4:32 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Scandinavian traveler

Have you tried CX showers? Best airport showers I’ve ever encountered.
No sorry, everything I have been thru T3. CX was being redone,and the last 5 or 6 flights recently were out of T-5... I will next time..
Old Nov 26, 2018, 5:48 am

Programs: AAdvantage EP 2.1MM; Bonvoy LT-Plat; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Diamond
Flying BA FC to BOM via LHR from LAX. If the inbound/outbound flight isn't in T3, is there a way to get in? I have a 6hr layover and prefer to relax in CX lounge. Any tips? Tks.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
When at T3 I asked about getting bus to T4 and back - they said yes if the flight was over two hours away. Mine wasn't.

So although you can go to other terminals for shopping etc, I don't believe lounge access would be allowed in the wrong terminal
Old Nov 26, 2018, 6:38 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
There are paid for lounges in the LHR complex and so there is a specific ability to go to the "wrong" terminal in order to the use lounges, provided you are on connecting flights and go to the "wrong" terminal immediately on arrival via Flight Connections. You can't go to the "wrong" terminal via the landside route in any shape or form at LHR. So with 6 hours this would be fine. It's not guaranteed that Cathay will let you in, but I've not seen any reports of refusal so far. Still, it's a flap, two unnecessary rounds of security, whereas the OP can go to the CCR in T5. Going via T3 CX is certainly not what I would doing.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 7:49 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
IMO; CX F (has Champagne)>QF (does not have Champagne)> AA F (has Champagne)> BA F (has Champagne)
Old Nov 26, 2018, 7:47 pm

Programs: BA Silver AA Lifetime Gold
Cat among pigeons time.
I went to the CX first dining a week ago for the first time in 18 months or so and the service was shocking. My drink, only a VAT took 30 mins, had to ask where it was three times and when the food turned up it was a little overdone shall we say. Chap next to me was having similar problems. Hopefully it was just a glitch.

Spike
Old Nov 29, 2018, 8:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Thank you all for the answers! Had an amazing experience. I had a shower and a-la-carte lunch at the CX, a gin&tonic at QF and some wine at BA. It was awesome!
PETER01 and Geordie405 like this.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 9:35 am

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
Originally Posted by bl393
Flying BA FC to BOM via LHR from LAX. If the inbound/outbound flight isn't in T3, is there a way to get in? I have a 6hr layover and prefer to relax in CX lounge. Any tips? Tks.
No, you cannot use the T3 lounges when flying from T5. However you at least have the lounge in BOM to look forward to on your return!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.