Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

"Downgraded" from Club World to Club Europe

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Downgraded" from Club World to Club Europe

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2018, 3:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cosmo74
I understand the departure being delayed due to the low visibility, but can't really understand why they couldn't let you board and wait on the plane. Did anyone explain this? Surely they would have wanted everything ready to go in case things cleared up.
Yes, we asked the same question. However the visibility was pretty poor at that point and it wasn't obvious when (or if) we would get away. As soon as the fog started to show signs of lifting they got us on board so we were ready.

I don't know, but there might have been other things going on in the background. Due to the change from an A321 to A320 we had a refuel stop in Athens that was planned for 10.30 that we were obviously going to miss due to the late departure, so this would need to be re-planned.

I think allowing us to start boarding was an error on someone's part. The crew certainly appeared surprised when we turned up at the aircraft door, so I guess they expected us to wait in the main airport and not start the boarding process until there was greater certainty over the flight timings.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 3:24 am

Programs: BAEC - Silver
I've been following this from afar so thanks for the update. I think I would be happy with that offer.

My big issue with this is that it should have been offered from the point of change. That way people would not have turned up to check in without knowing what, (if anything), they would be offered. I presume the hope is that not everyone will complain and they can save money but they could have saved more money by offering less at the outset. I suspect most people would have been happy to have been told they were getting CW service with a WT fare in CE.

I can only assume BA was hoping they could re-instate the CW aircraft again and not have to give anything back.

Last edited by Soft Top; Nov 16, 2018 at 6:42 am Reason: Stupidity - "fair" or "fare"!
Old Nov 16, 2018, 4:40 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by cosmo74
I understand the departure being delayed due to the low visibility, but can't really understand why they couldn't let you board and wait on the plane. Did anyone explain this? Surely they would have wanted everything ready to go in case things cleared up.
The thing to avoid is having people on board, taking them off again AND wanting to reboard passengers again. I won't go into all the specifics but if there was any doubt about a departure, or a very long delay, it's much better if people don't board the aircraft at all. Otherwise the aircraft would have to go through a new set of checks before departure. The error, seemingly, was the ground agent allowing boarding to start before a decision had been made on the flight's viability, which is a very basic mistake - the turnaround manager in most locations are essentially employed to get this feature right. There would have been another problem, incidentally, if someone on the airbridge gave up and retreated to the main departure lounge area. If the ground agent was on top of that then they could be offloaded and reloaded later, but the risk of a messed up load sheet would also prevent a timely departure. This is up there with Clanger Drop Central frankly.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 6:32 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
It can happen to the best. CX once dispatched the first (with First and a few Business passengers) bus to the remote stand (with me and Ms Flatlander in it) before the crew had indicated they were ready, which was because there was no cooling and the aircraft interior was like a sauna. We were gently poached for half an hour until an extended sequence of malfunctions [1] was resolved and the aircraft cooled down.

And yes, de-boarding us would only have screwed things up even further, so we remained on board. Everyone took it fairly well.

[1] Aircraft APU failed. Then the mobile air con cart failed. Finally an air start cart was brought up, connected, started, and allowed to run for long enough that it felt able to sustain the effort of starting an engine. Then an engine was started and the aircon packs could run and cool us down.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 8:43 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
I think that this must partly be an AMM thing. I've been shoved on a bus there (airport buses hardly being generously endowed in the salubrious luxury stakes to begin with) long before the aircraft was ready to depart, so that we could all roast in the mid-afternoon 30+ degree sun for well over half an hour.

Pleasant it most certainly was not.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 10:13 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Now I'm wondering if I made a mistake. I had an Avios booking AMM-LHR via FRA, RJ to BA. The BA leg was cancelled so I called in for alternatives. The very helpful agent said he could get me on the BA non-stop to LHR, an A321 CW configuration for the same miles and cash even though no award availability was showing. I was even able to get seat assignments. If it plays out, it'll be one of my best redemption values ever, since I transferred Avios during the Amex 40% bonus. 39,000 Avios net for a retail $5400 pair of tickets. Fortunately, it's for my daughter and son-in-law so if there's a swap, I only have to suffer vicariously.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by cayohueso
Now I'm wondering if I made a mistake.
You didn’t.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 1:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cayohueso
Now I'm wondering if I made a mistake.
I agree with the post from Ldnn1 - you have made the correct choice. When they swapped the aircraft on my flight I ended up "downgraded" to Club Europe (including CW service and £150 per person goodwill payment) with a re-fuelling stop in Athens. This is still probably a better outcome than your original itinerary? However assuming you are not unlucky it'll be a great seat on a direct flight.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 4:58 am

Programs: DL Silver, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
The original itinerary after the cancellation would have ended up with about a 5 hour layover in FRA so definitely better in that regard. Time will tell.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 1:22 pm

Programs: QR Gold, BA silver
Did this happen to anyone recently? I am due to fly to Moscow next week but am 'downgraded' to CE. I would love to change my flight to another time of the day but BA is not picking up my call mostly likely because of Coronavirus.

If they are still paying the GBP150 per leg I am happy to take the offer otherwise I shall try harder/ go to the airport early to negotiate. Anyone with recent experience can share? Much appreciated!

Last edited by TheDinge; Mar 6, 2020 at 1:47 pm
Old Mar 6, 2020, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by TheDinge
Did this happen to anyone recently? I am due to fly to Moscow next week but am 'downgraded' to CW. I would love to change my flight to another time of the day but BA is not picking up my call mostly likely because of Coronavirus.

If they are still paying the GBP150 per leg I am happy to take the offer otherwise I shall try harder/ go to the airport early to negotiate. Anyone with recent experience can share? Much appreciated!
Flying CW is hardly a downgrade, unless you were in F previously.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by rapidex
Flying CW is hardly a downgrade, unless you were in F previously.
Apologies I did mean CE and thanks for point out. I have modified my original comment.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 2:35 pm

Programs: BA GGL, IB, LH, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by TheDinge
Did this happen to anyone recently? I am due to fly to Moscow next week but am 'downgraded' to CE. I would love to change my flight to another time of the day but BA is not picking up my call mostly likely because of Coronavirus.

Which flight are you on originally?
In case choice of airport is relevant, the DME flights are nearly 12 hours apart, so the better option may be the night before your original departure.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by ubiest
Which flight are you on originally?
In case choice of airport is relevant, the DME flights are nearly 12 hours apart, so the better option may be the night before your original departure.
I am taking the 9pm flight from Heathrow, I can change it to the 9am flight the next morning without messing up my plans.

On the return, I am taking the SVO 7pm flight, in this case 5pm DME service seems like a good alternative.

But this all sounds a bit futile if I can never reach BAEC to change my flights...
Old Apr 6, 2020, 2:58 pm

Just to report back. The check in agent at T5 initially dismissed me insisting that A321 neos had lieflat seats, which as an FTer I would not believe, and a polite one to not argue. Later he found me just before I was passing through security to correct his mistake.

He confirmed that there would be compensation of 150 quid each way and directed me to claim it back after flights. I did raise the problem and customer service came back to offer me 300 quid in cash or 400 quid in Evoucher (not sure if this is normal policy or their way to scrape through liquidity squeeze amid COVID).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.